A. Lamont - London - 1883

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Re: Some London Advertisements and Information

Post by dognose »

F. PARKINSON AND Co.

3 & 4, Fowkes Buildings, Great Tower Street, London

CARPATHIAN SILVER GOODS. Messrs. F. PARKINSON AND Co., manufacturers of Carpathian silver and other goods, have removed to larger and more convenient premises at 3 and 4, Fowkes buildings, Great Tower Street, EC. We should advise our readers to send there for an illustrated catalogue of their goods. Carpathian silver is very popular as a substitute for silver and electro-plate, as it is durable, and moderate in price. It is especially ads ted for salvers, etc, a waiter, such as we illustrate, costing from 4s. 3d. to 18s., according to size. This metal can be subjected to the most constant usage, as it retains its colour, being of white metal all through and requiring only an occasional polish to keep it in good condition.

Source: The Bazaar, Exchange and Mart - 9th February 1894

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

WILLIAM DICKINSON & GEORGE SMITH

12, Vigo Street, Regent Street, London

The Bankruptcy Act, 1869.
In the London Bankruptcy Court.

In the Matter of Proceedings for Liquidation by Arrangement or Composition with Creditors. instituted by William Thomas Dickinson and George William Smith, of No. 12, Vigo-street, Regent-street, in the county of Middlesex, Jewellers and Silversmiths and Copartners. Notice is hereby given, that a First General Meeting of the creditors of the above-named persons has been summoned to be held at No. 28, Golden-square, in the county of Middlesex, on the 27th day of July, 1875, at two o'clock in the afternoon precisely.-Dated this 3rd day of July, 1875.

FRANK RICHARDSON and SADLER, 28, Golden-square, W., Attorneys for the said Debtors.

In the Matter of Proceedings for Liquidation by Arrangement or Composition with Creditors, instituted by William Thomas Dickinson and George William Smith, both of No. 12, Vigo-street, Regent-street, in the county of Middlesex, Jewellers and Silversmiths and Copartners. Notice is hereby given, that a First General Meeting of the creditors of William Thomas Dickinson, one of the above-named persons, has been summoned to be held at No. 28, Golden-square, in the county of Middlesex, on the 27th day of July, 1875, at three o'clock in the afternoon precisely.
Dated this 3rd day of July, 1875.

FRANK RICHARDSON and SADLER, 28, Golden-square, W., Attorneys for the said William Thomas Dickinson.

In the Matter of Proceedings for Liquidation by Arrangement or Composition with Creditors, instituted by William Thomas Dickinson and George William Smith, both of No. 12, Vigo-street, Regent-street, in the county of Middlesex, Jewellers and Silversmiths and Copartners. Notice is hereby given, that a First General Meeting of the creditors of George William Smith, one of the above-named persons, has been summoned to be held at No. 28, Golden-square, in the county of Middlesex, on the 27th day of July, 1875, at half-past three o'clock in the afternoon precisely.—Dated this 3rd day of July, 1875.

FRANK RICHARDSON and SADLER, 28, Golden-square, W., Attorneys for the said George William Smith.

Source: The London Gazette - 9th July 1875

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

JOHN BRAMHILL

29, Gloucester Street, St. John Street Road, London

I heard a remarkable story yesterday about a rat emptying an oil bottle, which will amuse you. Mr. Bramhall, the silversmith, of Gloucester Street, Clerkenwell, states that for a long time he constantly found the oil bottle attached to his lathe emptied of its contents. Various plans were devised to find out the thief, but without success. At last Mr. Bramhall determined to watch. Through a hole in the door he peeped for some time; at length he heard a gentle noise. Something was creeping up the framework of the lathe. It was a fine rat! Planting itself on the edge of the lathe, the ingenious creature dropped its tail inside the bottle, then drew it out and licked off the oil. This it continued to do until nearly every drop of oil was extracted.

Source: Our Dumb Neighbours - Thomas Jackson M.A - 1870

John Bramhill entered his mark, 'J.B' contained within an oblong punch with clipped corners, with the London Assay Office on the 31st March 1859.

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

JOHN WELLS

508, Oxford Street, London

John Wells - London - 1893

Established in 1820.

Noted as an exhibitor at the Chicago Exhibition of 1893.

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

J. WETHERELL & Co.

29, later, 48, Newgate Street, London

J. Wetherell & Co. - London - 1874

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

WILLIAM ARCHBOLD

Chichester Place, Gray's Inn Road, London

A PRACTICAL HINT ON SABBATH OBSERVANCE

By William Archbald, Silver-plate Engraver, Chichester-place, Gray's-inn-road

That "The Sabbath was made for man" is an axiom, the truth of which has been frequently and forcibly illustrated. Its moral, social, and physical advantages have been ably demonstrated by many talented writers, during the recent agitation of the subject; and it is a matter for congratulation that so much of what was good was produced by members of the operative class; a gratifying proof being thereby afforded to the friends of progress, not merely of the existence of considerable intelligence amongst the working classes, but of intelligence devoted to a good and worthy end.

In the course of my reading on the subject, I cannot remember to have met with any remarks that bore upon the duty of the general public to promote the due observance of the Sabbath. And as much could be done in this direction, by the exercise of a little thought and foresight on the part of the upper classes, I avail myself, with your kind permission, of a small portion of your space, to point out one way in which the absence of that forethought causes a great encroachment upon the rights and comforts of working men, and a serious desecration of that day of rest—which I willingly believe the higher class, as a class, are anxious to see becomingly observed. The examples I am about to adduce are only specimens of many similar cases with which I have met, not in my own profession alone, but in many others. An aggregation of such cases would demonstrate the existence of a great social evil, and such does really exist. Now, however, for my examples.

By profession I am a silver-plate engraver. Plate is so entirely an article of luxury, that one would think no plea of necessity could be urged for hurrying orders. Frequently, however, has it happened that, to satisfy the demands of a customer, I have been compelled to labour the whole of the Sabbath-day, and yet, from work not being plentiful, have sat idle on Monday, and too often on the following days likewise. Twice within my recollection have I been engaged on the whole of the day of rest in ornamenting services of sacramental plate, which, I imagine, could not be required for use until the following Sabbath, at the earliest. And more than once have I been engaged in the same way, giving the finishing touch to plate about to be presented to rev. gentlemen, who, amongst other good services calling for such testimonials, may have rendered much assistance to the " Sabbath Observance*' cause. These instances I do not select from any invidious feeling, but because I justly regard them (the clergy) as the guardians of public morals, and exemplars of the doctrine it is their great duty and privilege to teach. In the cases I have cited, and in many others, had parties, in giving their orders, stated their wish that no Sunday labour should be called for, or had they given their orders in good time, this evil would not have to be complained of.

I have spoken of myself as compelled to labour, and all who know necessity as a hard task-master will not think the word wrongly applied. The workman, indeed, can hardly be said to have a choice. Our employers sole dependence is upon the shopkeeper, and our sole dependence is upon our employer. However considerate he may be of the consciences and comforts of his workmen, he, at times, is really under the necessity of meeting the demands of those who employ him. Archdeacon Paley used to say that he " could not afford to keep a conscience ;" a strange declaration this, for a Christian teacher! but with how much more plausibility may many of the working classes say the same! Having every desire for a consistent observance of their duties, and, above all, so agreeable a duty as the observance of the day of rest, their desires must nevertheless be frequently overruled by the paramount claims of a wife and family ;—to provide daily bread for the household being with them the first and most imperative necessity.

If this subject were agitated to the extent it deserves, and consistently supported, no inconsiderable boon would be conferred upon the industrial section of the community.

Source: The Working Man's Friend - April 1850

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

JAMES JEFFERYS - JAMES JEFFERYS & SON - JAMES JEFFERYS & Co.

132, St. John Street, Smithfield, later, 231, later, 14, Tottenham Court Road, London

Messrs. J. Jefferys & Co., of Tottenham Court Road, London, are working up into articles of jewellery and ornamental trinkets a new material called “neapoline,” which is a particularly good imitation of coral. Indeed, the resemblance is such that we are not surprised to learn that experienced judges have at first sight taken the neapoline for Naples coral. It is presumably of the nature of celluloid, which is largely used by jewellery manufacturers in the States, though, as Messrs. Jefferys state that it is an English invention, it cannot be identical with that substance. The “Climax” solitaire, an ingeniously simple invention, whose attachment is effected without springs or movable pieces, is made in “neapoline," and the carved breast-pins and other articles we have seen in the same material are very pretty and effective.

Source: The British Trade Journal - 1st January 1878

John Jefferys entered his marks, 'JJ' incuse, on the 11th September 1841, and 'JJ' contained within an oblong punch, on the 29th November 1850, with the London Assay Office.

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

ROBINSON BROTHERS

5, Hampstead Road and 127, Fenchurch Street, London

Robinson Bros. - London - 1915

Robinson Bros. - London - 1916

The business of Joseph Kaye Robinson and Albert Edward Robinson.

Robinson Brothers entered their mark, 'RBs', with the London Assay Office on the 6th December 1907.

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

MARCH BROTHERS

169, Piccadilly, London

March Bros. - London - 1902

This is likely to be the same March Brothers (Edward March, Sydney Marsh and Percival March) who entered their mark, 'M.Bros', contained within an oblong punch with clipped corners, with the London Assay Office on the 14th February 1906.

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

W. MOORE & NEPHEW

22, Titchborne Street, Regent's Quadrant, London

W. Moore & Nephew - London - 1844

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

MILLIKIN & LAWLEY

168, Strand, London

Millikin & Lawley - London - 1874

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

WILLIAM REST

16, Albion Buildings, Bartholomew Close, Aldersgate Street, London

Grants of Provisional Protection for Six Months.
Notice is hereby given that Provisional Protection has been allowed.....

To William Rest, of 16, Albion Buildings, Aldersgate Street, in the city of London, Silversmith and Pipe Mounter, for the invention of "Improvements in the mode of connecting and mounting tobacco pipes, cigar tubes, and cigarette tubes for smoking tobacco." On his petition, recorded in the Office of the Commissioners on the 12th day of March, 1878.

Source: The Commissioners of Patents' Journal - 3rd May 1878

William Rest entered a total of seven marks (WR, W.R, W·R) with the London Assay Office between 1871 and 1885.

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

JOHN MYERS & Co. Ltd.

131, 135, & 161, Westminster Bridge Road, London

John Myers & Co. Ltd. - London - 1899

John Myers & Co. Ltd. - London - 1901

John Myers & Co. Ltd. - London - 1906

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

SLADDEN BROTHERS & Co.

Albert Buildings, Queen Victoria Street, London

Sladden Brothers & Co. - London - 1877

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

WILLIAM WOOD & SON - WILLIAM WOOD & Co.

4-5-6, Edmund Place, Jewin Street. - 48 & 49, Great Sutton Street, Clerkenwell - 12, Roscoe Street, Bunhill Row. - Kelvin Works, Kelvin Road, Highbury, London

William Wood & Co. - London - 1899

William Wood & Son entered their mark 'W.W&S' contained within an oblong punch, with the London Assay Office on the 15th May 1901.

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

E.T. THEOBALD & Co.

Telescope Works, Greenwich, London

E.T. Theobald and Co. - London - 1880

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

ANNABEL JONES

London

An example of the work and mark of Annabel Jones:

AJ - London - 1997

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

WILLIAM OPPENHEIM - DRESDEN CHINA DEPOT

75, Newman Street, Oxford Street, later, 43, Farringdon Street, London

Established by William Oppenheim in 1851, at 75, Newman Street, Oxford Street. The business were well-known importers of the products of the Royal Dresden China Manufactory.

William Oppenheim was a known importer of the work of the Dresden silversmith, Richard Garten.

The entire stock of William Oppenheim was acquired in 1912 by Faudels Ltd.

William Oppenheim entered his marks, 'WmO' with the London Assay Office on the 12th and 14th May 1890.

WmO - London - 1890

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

THOMAS HARRIS & SON

141a, Oxford Street, and, 43 & 52, Great Russell Street, Bloomsbury, London

Thomas Harris & Son - London - 1851

The business of Thomas and William Harris.

Trev.

Return to “Contributors' Notes”