14, Lower Ashby Street, Clerkenwell, London

H.J.W. Thompson - London - 1870

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Re: Some London Advertisements and Information

Post by dognose »

WILLIAM ADAMS

15, Pulteney Street, Barnsbury Road, Islington, later, 65, Roderick Road, Mansfield Road, Haverstock Hill, London

Bills of Sale

Adams, William, 15, Pulteney-street, Barnsbury-road, Islington, about to remove to 65, Roderick-road, Mansfield-road, Haverstock-hill, working jeweler. In favour of the Central Advertising Corporation. Filed June 6. £30.

Source: The Watchmaker, Jeweller and Silversmith - 1st July 1891

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

D.G. BERRI

36, High Holborn, London

D.G. Berri - London - 1870

D. Berri - London - 1870

Engraver to Her Majesty's Post Office and Her Majesty's Stationary Office.

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

ARTHUR KEATING

114, Strand, London

Arthur Keating - London - 1814

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

JOHN BARRIER

1, Blizard Place, Fulham Road, Middlesex

THE COURT FOR RELIEF OF IN SOLVENT DEBTORS.
Saturday the 22d day of May 1847.
ASSIGNEES have been appointed in the following cases. Further particulars may be learned at the Office, in Portugal-Street, Lincoln’s-Inn-Fields, on giving the number of the Case.

John Barrier, late of No. 1, Blizard-place, Fulham-road, Middlesex, Working Jeweller, an Insolvent, No.58,853 T.; John Perry, Assignee.

Source: The London Gazette - 25th May 1847

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

GEORGE ARNOLD AND THOMAS ARNOLD

188, High Street, Shoreditch

Notice is hereby given, that the Partnership heretofore existing between the undersigned, George Arnold and Thomas Arnold, of No. 188, High-street, Shoreditch, in the county of Middlesex, as Silversmiths and Pawnbrokers, is this day dissolved by mutual consent.— Dated this 4th day of March 1847.
George Arnold.
Thomas Arnold.

Source: The London Gazette - 25th May 1847

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

S. CLIFFORD & Co.

14, Glyn Street, Vauxhall Gardens, later, 1, later 8, Avery Row, Grosvenor Square, London

An example of the work and mark of S. Clifford & Co.:

SC - London - 1903

SC - London - 1903

A set of spoons:

SC - London - 1902

A cigar-cutter by S. Clifford & Co.:

SC&Co - London - 1910

Established by at least 1874 by Stuart Clifford. He was later joined in partnership by his son, Albert Arthur Clifford, until 21st December 1903 after which A.A. Clifford continued alone.

The firm entered four marks with the London Assay Office, 'SC' contained within an oblong punch on the 17th December 1874, 'SC' contained within an oblong punch on the 16th September 1885, 'SC' contained within an twin-circled punch on the 23rd February 1905, and 'SC&Co' contained within an oblong punch on the 7th December 1904.

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

THOMAS PEARCE

Pearce & Bridger - 231, High Street, Brentford

Pearce & Melcalfe - 319, Commercial Road East, London*

Pearce & Steer - 5, South Street, Greenwich

Pursuant to an Order of the Chancery Division of the High Court of Justice, made in the matter of the estate of Thomas Pearce. deceased, and in an action of PEARCE against PEARCE, 1903, P. No.1035, the creditors of Thomas Pearce, late of No. 48, Boston Park-road, Brentford, in the county Middlesex, Jeweller, deceased, and who was also a partner in the firm of Pearce and Bridger, carried on at No. 231, High-street, Brentford aforesaid, and formerly also at No. 6, Cambridge-terrace. Kew, in the county of Surrey, as Jewellers, Watchmakers, and Silversmiths, and who was also a. partner in the firm of Pearce and Melcalfe, carried on at No. 319, Commercial-road East, in the county of London. as Jewellers, Watchmakers, and Silversmiths, and who was also a partner in the firm of Pearce and Steer, carried on at No. 5, South-street, Greenwich. in the county of Kent, as Jewellers, Watchmakers, and Silversmiths, and who died on the 17th day of February, 1903, are, on or before the 13ih day of July, 1903, to send by post, prepaid, to Mr. Stephen Woodbridge, of No. 5, Serjeant’s-inn, Fleet-street, in the city of London, a member of the firm of Woodbridge and Sons, of the same place, the Solicitors for Maud Mary Pearce, Widow, and Edward Nathaniel Pearce, two of the executors of the deceased, their Christian and surnames, addresses and descriptions, the full particulars of their claims, a statement of their accounts, and the nature of the securities (if any) held by them, or in default thereof they will be peremptorily excluded from the benefit of the said Order. Every creditor holding any security is to produce the same before Mr. Justice Kekewich, at his chambers, the Royal Courts of Justice, Strand, London, Room No. 692, on Thursday, the 23rd day of July, 1903, at 12 o'clock noon, being the time appointed for adjudicating on the claims.— Dated this 10th day of June, 1903.

WOODBRIDGE and SONS, 5, Serjeant's-inn, Fleet-street, E.C., Solicitors for the Executors.

Source: The London Gazette - 12th June 1903

Thomas Pearce entered his mark 'TP' contained within an oblong punch, with the London Assay Office on the 10th May 1880.

*Pearce & Steer, the partnership of Thomas Pearce and John Edward Steer, were also recorded at this address in 1897.

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

PUGH BROTHERS

76, Queen Victoria Street, and 15, Moor Lane, and 9, Great Turnstile, Lincoln's Inn Fields, London

Pugh Brothers - London - 1863

Pugh Brothers - London - 1867

Pugh Brothers - London - 1868

Pugh Brothers - London - 1868

Pugh Brothers - London - 1876

Bankrupt List, April 21, 1888

PUGH William Platts and Edward PUGH, as Pugh Brothers, heraldic engravers, 76 Queen Victoria st, and 15 Moor la, Cripplegate, and 9 Great Turnstile, Lincoln's inn fields. First meeting, April 13 at 12, at Bankruptcy build, Portugal st, Lincoln's inn fields, Exam. April 26 at 11½, at 34 Lincoln's inn field. High Court of Justice.

Source: The Law Journal - 1888

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

AUSTIN, HALL, & WILLIAMS, later, AUSTIN & WILLIAMS

6, Conduit Street, Regent-street, London

Notice is hereby given, that the Partnership heretofore subsisting between us the undersigned, George Compton Austin, Samuel Jeffs Hall, and Percy Wynne Williams, carrying on business as Jewellers and Silversmiths, at 6, Conduit-street, Regent-street, London, W., under the style or firm of AUSTIN, HALL, AND WILLIAMS, has been dissolved so far as regards the said Samuel Jeffs Hall, by mutual consent as and from the ninth day of February, 1903. All debts due to and owing by the said late firm will be received and paid by the said George Compton Austin and Percy Wynne Williams, by whom the business in future will be carried on at the same address.—Dated 9th day of February, 1903.
S. J. HALL.
P. W. WILLIAMS.
GEORGE C. AUSTIN.

Source: The London Gazette - 13th February 1903

The business of George Compton Austin, Samuel Jeffs Hall, and Percy Wynne Williams.

Noted as retailers of the products of Stuart Clifford & Co. in 1902.

Notice is hereby given that the Partnership heretofore subsisting between me, the undersigned, Percy Wynne Williams, and the late George Compton Austin, carrying on business as Goldsmiths, Diamond Merchants and Silversmiths, at 6, Conduit-street, London, W. 1, under the style or firm of AUSTIN & WILLIAMS, has been determined, owing to the death of the said George Compton Austin, as and from the 14th day of December. 1929. All debts due to and owing by the said late firm will be received and paid by me, the undersigned, Percy Wynne Williams, at 6, Conduit-street aforesaid.—Dated this twenty-ninth day of January, 1980.
P. WYNNE WILLIAMS.
J. E. AUSTIN, Executors of George
H. E. LUKER, Compton Austin, deceased

Source: The London Gazette - 4th February 1930

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

PICKFORD & Co.

241 & 243, Old Street, London

Pickford & Co. - London - 1908

Established in 1839.

The firm was earlier styled 'Pickford & Roberts'.

The names of two employees noted, were Thomas Walduck (1843), and Frederick Fox (1800's), both under 'Pickford & Roberts'.

Re LEWIS STEVENSON, Deceased, late of Nos. 241 and 243, Old Street, Shoreditch, in the county of London, a partner in the firm of Pickford & Co., Jewellers and Pawnbrokers, of the same address, who died on the 3rd day of March, 1932.

NOTICE is hereby given that creditors and others having claims against the estate of the above deceased should give notice thereof, in writing, to Mrs. Ida Adelene Stevenson, of 241, Old Street, Shoreditch aforesaid, who is the sole executrix of the Will of the said Lewis Stevenson, deceased, within two months from the date hereof, after which time the executrix intends to distribute the said estate among the parties entitled thereto, having regard only to the claims of which notice has then been received by the said executrix.—Dated the 11th day of April, 1932.

WM. EASTON and SONS, 43, London Wall, E.C.2, Solicitors for the said Executrix.

Source: The London Gazette - 12th April 1932

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

WILLIAM PRICE

London and Nottingham

THE COURT FOR RELIEF OF INSOLVENT DEBTORS

At the Court-House, at the Town of Nottingham, in the County of the same Town, on the 5th day of August 1842, at Ten o'clock in the Forenoon precisely.

William Price, formerly of Whetstone, Middlesex, afterwards of Fleet-lane, Farringdon-street, in Lodgings, out of business, then of No. 13, Water-lane, Blackfriars, Silversmith, Watch Maker and Working Jeweller, afterwards of No. 72, Charlotte-street, Portland-place, out of business, then of No. 14, Mortimer-street, Cavendish-square, Silversmith, Watchmaker, and Working Jeweller, all the said places in London, afterwards of No. 75, Stars-street, Paddington, Middlesex, Jewellery and Plate Commission Agent, and late of Buttery’s-yard, Chapel Bar, Assistant Laceman, having a Shop in Pelham-street, Nottingham, Lace Dealer.

Source: The London Gazette - 15th July 1842

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

TALBOTT & TALBOTT

London

Talbott & Talbott - London - 1884

Awarded Gold Medal at the New Zealand Exhibition 1882.

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

T. HAWKSLEY

4, Blenheim Street, Bond Street, London

T. Hawksley - London - 1872

T. Hawksley - London - 1873

T. Hawksley - London - 1874

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

STEPHEN SMITH & SON

12 &13, Duke Street, Lincoln's Inn Fields, later, 35, King Street, Covent Garden, London

REMOVAL - STEPHEN SMITH (late SMITH & NICHOLSON), Duke Street, Lincoln's Inn Fields, Manufacturer of Silver and Electro Plate, to 35 King Street, Covent Garden (late the Garrick Club House). N.B.— The Show-Rooms will be closed in future at Two on Saturdays.

Source: The Saturday Review of Politics, Literature, Science and Art - 9th February 1867

Part of a Parliamentry Report into sulphurus compounds in gas:

Mr. Stephen Smith, examined by Mr. Cripps

I am a member of the firm of Stephen Smith and Sons, who carry on business at 35, King Street, Covent Garden, as silversmiths. For some time past we have been annoyed by what we believe to be injury to silver from the gas burning. It is an observable thing to any one connected with our trade, the moment one enters into it. We find that the labour required to keep our stock in order during the summer months, when we do not burn much gas, is very much less than in the winter months when we do; it would probably be about half during the summer months. In our trade a very considerable expense is incurred in order to carry off the fumes of burning gas by proper ventilation. I may mention that I rebuilt the premises I am in about seven years since, and I went to a very great expense buying sun burners, and providing other artificial ventilation in the roof, for the express purpose. We formerly took stock as we could, and for two or three years the labour in cleaning the stock has been so severe, from its being exposed to the gas for about three hours at night, that last October we adopted the system of taking stock in early morning with most satisfactory results, and the difference was something very extraordinary. On those occasions the whole of the stock has to be exposed—it is not even kept in the glass cases, but it is all put out to be identified, and of course it gets the worst effect it can from the bad atmosphere. I find that silver goods which have been exposed to the fumes of gas burning for some time have a sulphurous smell about them. That would hardly be the case with goods kept in glass cases, but speaking of factory goods, which we are not so particular about the exposure of, where they might perhaps be for a month or six weeks lying in a place uncovered, it is exceedingly strong and most offensive; and with regard to the surface, my foreman has called my attention to the fact that it seems to bite into the surface, so that it has almost to be removed again by polish. My father was partner with Messrs. Elkington originally, and I was consulted in the original scheme of opening their London establishments, and for some years after we opened it nothing but oil lamps were used for that reason. Then I may say that these rooms ten years since were very much enlarged, and it was impossible to carry on that system, and we were obliged to give it up, and now we have gas as other people do. It is the case, however, that in some two or three of the old-fashioned style of shops, lamps are still used for that purpose, despite all the cost of them, to avoid the sulphur.

Cross-examined by Mr. Philbbick: Having regard to the injury done to goods in our trade, I should avoid exposure to the gas. There is nothing I caution my customers so much against as allowing their servants, after plate has been used, to leave it exposed all night. The result of that will be that the sulphur of the gas will settle down upon it, and the most extremely bad results arise. I do not represent to the committee, that the gas in London injures plated goods more than the gas in Liverpool, or Manchester, or other large towns. The constant remark that I hear from Glasgow houses is that it is worse than it is in London. The expense in my establighment is £150 or £200 a year merely for cleaning, and that kind of thing, beyond what it would be if we could get a pure atmosphere. I do not say it is all owing to the gas. I am not attending to business so closely as I did, and therefore I cannot answer the question, whether the matter has got worse rather than better, but I have not heard our people speak of it. Where gas is burnt there is always more labour in cleaning plate in winter time than in summer. The sulphurous smell I spoke of is only on the metal surfaces of goods in the workshops. I am not aware that other surfaces are affected by it. I do not know what else it can arise from than the gas.

Re-examined by Mr. Cripps: This is considered so much a matter of course, that if you asked even a porter who has been employed in the silver trade what it is that tarnishes the silver, he will tell you it is the gas.

Source: Sulphur Compounds in Gas: Report of the Proceedings Before a Committee of the House of Commons on the Crystal Palace District Gas and the Gaslight & Coke Company Bills - 1877

The business was acquired by Mappin & Webb in 1886.

S.S - London - 1880

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

KRYPTOK Ltd.

31-33, High Holborn, London

The Kryptok, Ltd., Organized in London

The Kryptok, Ltd., was recently organized in London, England, with a capital of £5,000 in £1 shares. The company is organized to acquire from J. L. Borsch, Jr., the benefit of inventions relating to bi-focal lenses, and to carry on the business of opticians, spectacle makers, glass merchants, optical glass workers, telescope, opera and field glass makers, optical lantern and mathematical instrument makers. The first subscribers are: W. A. Dixey, 3 New Bond St., W.. optician; M. W. Dunscombe, 5-7 St. Augustine's Parade, Bristol, optician; A. Dunscombe. 5-7 St. Augustine's Parade. Bristol, optician; A. E. Denham, 3 New Bond St., W., clerk; V. H. Mackinney, 156, Notting Hill Gate, W., optician; E.B. Meyrowitz, 1a, Old Bond St., W., optician and J.B. Reiner, 1a, Old Bond St., W., optician's assistant. The number of directors is not to be less than three nor more than five. The first are: J. B. Borsch jnr., W. A. Dixey, E.B. Meyrowitz and M. W. Dunscombe.

Source: The Optical Review - July 1908

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

PARK GREEN & Co.ltd.

12, Knightsbridge, later, 175, High Holborn, London

Examples of the work and marks of Park Green & Co.Ltd., manufacturers of 'Peter Piper' pepper and salt mills:

PG CO LD - London - 1960

PG CO LD - London - 1964

Noted as exhibitors at the British Industries Fair of 1947.

Noted as UK distributors of stainless steel flatware manufactured by Carl Mertens of Solingen in 1961.

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

H.J. COMPANY Ltd.

Shaftesbury Avenue, London

Solid Gold Chalice for Cathedral

Work is nearing completion on a solid 18-carat gold and ruby chalice which is being made by H.J. Company Ltd., Shaftesbury Avenue, London for an Ordination at Westminster Cathedral on 24th May. It is believed that this is the first solid gold chalice to be made in Britain since the war for daily use by a priest.

Source: Jeweller & Metalworker - 1st April 1962

The H.J. Company was inherited by Andrew Grima, it being his Viennese father-in-law's jewellery business. Andrew Grima had married Helène Haller in 1947.

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

GILDA JEWELLERS Ltd.

34-5, Hatton Garden, later, 31-35, Kirby Street, London

Changes of Address

Gilda Jewellers Ltd., manufacturing jewellers, are occupying new premises at 31-35, Kirby Street, London, E.C.1, on the first floor. Telephone number CHAncery 5080 (unchanged).

Source: Jeweller & Metalworker - 1st April 1962

A 1981 publication states: Gilda Gold and Silver Charms - Representative to the wholesale trade in the U.K.: Vernon Allen Ltd., 31-35, Kirby Street, London, EC1N 8TJ. Telephone 01-242 6207

Trev.

Return to “Contributors' Notes”