Some London Advertisements and Information

For information you'd like to share - Post it here - not for questions
dognose
Site Admin
Posts: 40582
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:53 pm
Location: England

Re: Some London Advertisements and Information

Postby dognose » Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:08 pm

L. & A. PYKE, later, THE ABYSSINIAN GOLD JEWELLERY Co.Ltd.

4 & 5, Union Bank Buildings, Ely Place, Holborn, London
153, Cheapside, 79, Regent Street, 435, West Strand, 290, Oxford Street, London. 30, Market Street, Manchester. Crystal Palace, Sydenham


Image
L. & A. Pyke - London - 1874

Image
Lionel & Alfred Pyke - London - 1881

Image
The Abyssinian Gold Jewellery Company, Limited - London - 1889

Lionel and Alfred Pyke founded their business in 1866, they went into voluntary liquidation in 1909.


ABYSSINIAN GOLD JEWELLERY COMPANY, LIMITED.
The first annual general meeting was held on Tuesday at the Guildhall Tavern, King street, EC., Sir W. H. Pannell (chairman of the company) presiding.
The secretary (Mr W Hardy King) having read the notice convening the meeting. The Chairman said: I think I have reason to congratulate the shareholders at this their first meeting, inasmuch as the statements contained in the prospectus and the estimate then given as to the probable dividend that would be earned–when the directors said "the amount required to pay a dividend on the £37,500 of ordinary shares at the rate of 8 per cent." would probably be earned–have been more than realised. It is not usual,! think, especially in such a statement of figures as is presented to you to-day, for the anticipations of the directors to be exceeded during the first period of a company's trading, because experience teaches us that even in the apparent continuation of the business of an old company, as in the present instance, there is sure to be some loss, some extra expense from the transfer, that militates for a time against the profits. Therefore, when in our report we are able to point out that our anticipations as regards the trading have been in the first period of the company's existence exceeded, I think it is a matter of congratulation as between the directors and the shareholders (hear, hear) – more especially as we start by putting on one side £648, the difference between the estimated profit for the first period of the company's trading and the amount it was agreed to pay the liquidator of the old company, which amount has been transferred to reserve. So that if we had not considered it advisable to take that from the profits, the result of the trading for this company's period would have been another £200, and we should have augmented the reserve to that extent. Shortly, the result is that though we propose to declare a dividend of 4 1/2 per cent, for the half-year, or at the rate of 9 per cent, per annum, we could really if we had chosen so to do, have divided what we have earned during that period, which would have paid a dividend at the rate of 10 per cent, per annum. (Applause.) I am sure you will agree that that is a very successful result of the company's trading. (Hear, hear.) We have this additional cause for congratulation, that this is not the case of the inception of a new company. It is not a new trade "catching on," as it were; the company is really a continuation of the old Abyssinian Gold Company. We have the same old shops, the same system of trading, though we have the additional shops that we have from time to time opened, and are opening. It is interesting, in looking back at the history of the business, to know that from the time the old company started in November, 1887, and continued from that date to May last, when this company became the possessor by purchase, the business has always been carried on at a large profit. It is a proud position for the chairman of a trading company to occupy when he is able to make the statement that the business has never once during 10 years made a net loss, nor anything else but a net profit, at any one single branch. (Hear, hear.) He concluded by expressing the confident anticipation that there would be a continuance of the prosperous trading. (Hear, hear.) He moved the adoption of the report.
The resolution was unanimously adopted.
A vote of thanks to the chairman closed the proceedings.


Source: The Economist - 25th December 1897

Trev.

dognose
Site Admin
Posts: 40582
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:53 pm
Location: England

Re: Some London Advertisements and Information

Postby dognose » Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:21 am

MOBILE WATCH COMPANY

326 & 327, Moorgate Station Chambers, London EC

The wholesale watch trade is a very important interest in London, where a large distributing business with the home and export markets is carried on. The company named above is noteworthy in connection with the celebrated productions of Chaux-de-Fonds, where its factory is situated. That long- famous Swiss centre of the watch manufacture supplies the world with some of the best and most popular lines of time- keepers that enter the market, and among these the specialities of the Mobile Watch Company have their acknowledged place of prominence. They comprise "Mobilia" Watches and all kinds of gentlemen's and ladies' watches and wristlets, in gold, silver, and metal cases. While the variety is extensive, the standard of quality is well maintained, the company having an excellent reputation for the reliability of its productions, and for the sound workmanship and good finish which characterise them all , even to the least expensive . Many attractive hues are available, affording the trade a capital selection upon terms favourable to satisfactory returns. The goods sell readily, and the organisation of the factory at Chaux-de-Fonds keeps pace with a demand that has increased steadily since the company's business was established in 1900 by Mr. E. Lesquereux, the present sole principal. An enterprising policy has been pursued in regard to the introduction of novelties ; and it may be noted that for the last two years the company has made a speciality of watches with radium figures and hands. These are now in quite strong demand, and give entire satisfaction. The radium salts used for the dials are of the best quality, and the company is in a position to guarantee that the watches will keep a perfect luminous power during fifteen years at least.. Widespread home and colonial connections have been developed by the Mobile Watch Company, while several of the continental markets are actively and successfully cultivated–those of Germany, Austria, Russia and Switzerland in particular. There are probably few businesses of the kind that have made better progress in the same space of time ; and the position the company has attained in the trade may be regarded as a testimony to the reliable class of goods with which its name has been identified from the first. Telephone : London Wall 4923. Telegrams : " Mobiwatch, Ave, London." Code : ABC (5th Edition).

Source: The Business World - 1914

Trev.

dognose
Site Admin
Posts: 40582
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:53 pm
Location: England

Re: Some London Advertisements and Information

Postby dognose » Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:29 am

T. GRAHAM & Co.

277, Strand, London WC

Image
T. Graham & Co. - London - 1890

Image
T. Graham & Co. - London - 1891

Image
R. Graham & Co. - London - 1894

In 1888 the company, presumably the same, were styled D. Graham & Co., and were located at New Inn Chambers, Wych Street, Strand. Between 1888 and 1890 they became T. Graham & Co., and between 1891 and 1894 they became R. Graham & Co.

Trev.

dognose
Site Admin
Posts: 40582
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:53 pm
Location: England

Re: Some London Advertisements and Information

Postby dognose » Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:55 am

LEOPOLD Ltd.

40, Hatton Garden, 65, 65a, & 67, Piccadilly Hotel Buildings, Regent Street, 36 & 37, King Street, Cheapside, London. 67, Rue de la Victorie, Paris.

Image
Leopold Ltd. - London - 1908


NOTICE is hereby given, that the Partnership heretofore subsisting between us the undersigned, Leslie Henry Davis and Leopold Boekbinder, carrying
on business as Dealers in Precious Stones, at No. 40, Hatton-garden, Holborn, in the county of London, under the style or firm of "L. BOEKBINDER AND
COMPANY," has been dissolved by mutual consent as and from the thirtieth day of August, 1906.–Dated this 30th day of August, 1906.
LESLIE H. DAVIS.
L. BOEKBINDER.


Source: The London Gazette - 31st August 1906


Originally trading as L. Boekbinder & Co. (Leopold Boekbinder and Leslie Henry Davis). Their partnership was dissolved on the 30th August 1906, and following that event the business was converted into a limited liabilty company styled Leopold Ltd., the directors being noted as Leopold Boekbinder, Montagu Wood, B. Mocatta, James De Lara Cohen, and Walter Hair.

The business was reasonably short-lived and disappears by 1909.

Leopold Ltd. entered their marks 'L.Ld.' contained within an double framed oblong punch with rounded inverted corners, with the London Assay Office on the 25th May 1908, and on the 5th and 10th June 1908. A similar mark was entered with the Chester Assay Office on the 6th June 1908.

Trev.

MCB
moderator
Posts: 2134
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2008 2:43 pm
Location: UK

Re: Some London Advertisements and Information

Postby MCB » Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:03 am

PARKINS & GOTTO

See post on page 3.
Christopher Lamb Gotto was born in Hampstead in 1858.
He was living in Hampstead and still trading as a stationer at the time of the 1901 UK Census.
Although the previous post shows Parkins & Gotto still trading in 1916 the evidence of the 1911 UK Census suggests he was not involved in running the business as his entry shows him in Hastings living on private income.
He died in Launceston, Devon in 1941.

Mike

dognose
Site Admin
Posts: 40582
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:53 pm
Location: England

Re: Some London Advertisements and Information

Postby dognose » Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:50 pm

EDWARD GOOD's CAMEO CORNER

1, Oxford Street, later, Museum Street, London

Image
Edward Good - London - 1917

One of the most important retail jewellery establishments in 20th century London was Edward Good's Cameo Corner. Founded by Mosheh Oved Gudak (b.1885-d.1958) alias Edward Good, who had emigrated from Russian Poland as a watchmaker to seek his fortune in England. In this he was very successful, becoming one of the most well-known dealers in jewellery and attracting important and wealthy customers from around the world. He was also co-founder of the Jewish Museum in London. His wife, Sah Oved, was a distinguished jewellery designer of the inter-war and early post-war years.

Trev.

dognose
Site Admin
Posts: 40582
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:53 pm
Location: England

Re: Some London Advertisements and Information

Postby dognose » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:26 am

QUILLEY & GORBOULD Ltd.

380, St. John Street, London EC1

Image
Quilley & Gorbould Ltd - London - 1957

Quilley & Gorbould Ltd were struck off the Companies Register in 1972.

Trev.

dognose
Site Admin
Posts: 40582
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:53 pm
Location: England

Re: Some London Advertisements and Information

Postby dognose » Tue May 14, 2013 1:31 pm

BALSON & SOLEY, later, T.M. BALSON

88-90, Hatton Garden, London

Balson & Soley (Thomas Montague Balson and Daniel Soley) were in partnership since at least 1908, their partnership was dissolved on the 11th August 1918 and thereafter continued by Thomas Balson alone at the Hatton Garden address. Daniel Soley started business on his own account at 31, Ely Place, Holborn Circus, London.

NOTICE is hereby given, that the Partnership heretofore subsisting between us, the undersigned, Thomas Montague Balson and Daniel Soley, carrying on business as Manufacturing Jewellers and Dealers in Precious Stones and Metals, at 89 Hattongarden, in the city of London, under the style or firm of "BALSON AND SOLEY," expired by effluxion of time on the 11th day of August, 1918. All debts due to and owing by the said late firm will be received and paid by the said Thomas Montague Balson,, who will continue to carry on the said business in his own name.–Dated the 12th day of August, 1918.
T. M. BALSON.
D. SOLEY.


Source: The London Gazette - 16th August 1918

Image
T.M. Balson - London - 1946

As Balson & Soley they entered their mark 'B & S' contained within an oblong punch, with the London Assay Office on the 28th November 1908.

Trev.

dognose
Site Admin
Posts: 40582
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:53 pm
Location: England

Re: Some London Advertisements and Information

Postby dognose » Fri May 17, 2013 3:17 pm

PERCY EDWARDS & Co.

71-72, Piccadilly, London

Image
Percy Edwards Ltd. - London - 1905

Percy Edwards & Co. were founded in c.1883. They took over the premises at 71, Piccadilly, of the jewellers, Bowler & Jones (Frederick Austin Bowler and William Augustus Jones) who went into liquidation in 1883. By 1897 they had extended the premises to include 72, Piccadilly.

The business was converted into a limited liability company styled Percy Edwards Ltd., the directors being recorded as Percy John Edwards, George Henry Allen, George Rood, and John Wood as secretary.

The firm entered a series of marks, all being 'P.E Ltd' contained within oblong punches with clipped corners, with the London Assay Office, between 1906 and 1911.

Trev.

dognose
Site Admin
Posts: 40582
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:53 pm
Location: England

Re: Some London Advertisements and Information

Postby dognose » Tue May 21, 2013 2:47 pm

EDWARD BALMFORTH

3, Creed Lane, Ludgate Hill, London

Image
Edward Balmforth - London - 1961

Trev.

dognose
Site Admin
Posts: 40582
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:53 pm
Location: England

Re: Some London Advertisements and Information

Postby dognose » Tue May 28, 2013 4:30 am

DEBENHAM & FREEBODY

Wigmore Street and Welbeck Street, London

Image

Image

Of the mercantile institutions of London, one of the most notable for years past has been the establishment of Messrs. Debenham and Freebody, in Wigmore Street. Considerably over a century has elapsed since the foundation was laid of the great business of this celebrated firm of drapers, silk mercers and ladies' outfitters. Its history dates from a period anterior to the year 1800, when it originated under the auspices of a Mr. Page. In 1813 the title was Clark and Debenham, and fifty years later the present firm name of Debenham and Freebody was assumed. The continuous expansion of the business has led to results of which there could hardly be more impressive evidence than the firm's palatial new premises on the fine site at the corner of Wigmore Street and Welbeck Street. Architecturally, this superb edifice is one of the ornaments of the metropolis, while the details of its internal plan and equipment illustrate the latest features of commercial organisation tending to the convenience of customers and the enhancement of the pleasures of shopping. There is a magnificent display in the various show-rooms, and the house maintains its long-established fame for everything within the scope of the dress and fashion trades. Silks, lace, costumes, millinery, furs, gloves, hosiery, and mourning goods are departments of special importance among the many here represented. The splendid stocks exhibit a full range of the most distinctive novelties for each season ; and the high standard of quality consistently sustained, together with the repute of the firm in regard to all matters of style and taste, continue, as in the past, to attract the patronage of a distinguished and world- wide clientele. Messrs. Debenham and Freebody have been Royal Warrant holders for many years. Telephone : Mayfair One (Private Branch Exchange). Telegrams: "Debenham, London."

Source: The Business World - 1914

As Debenhams Ltd., the firm entered their marks 'D & Co' contained within a lozenge shaped punch, with the London Assay Office on the 20th May 1908.

Trev.

dognose
Site Admin
Posts: 40582
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:53 pm
Location: England

Re: Some London Advertisements and Information

Postby dognose » Wed May 29, 2013 11:07 am

SEARLE & Co.

78-79, Lombard Street, London

Image
Searle & Co. - London - 1902

Established in 1893 by Walter Henry Searle. Located at 78-79 Lombard Street since 1895.

In 1897 Searle was joined in partnership by Frank Eady and Arthur Borlase Eady. The partnership lasted until 1907 and was dissolved following the revelation that Searle had been using the business's money for Stock Exchange speculation and had suffered losses of thousands of pounds.

NOTICE is hereby given, that the Partnership heretofore subsisting between us the undersigned, Frank Eady and Arthur Borlase Eady, and Walter Henry Searle, carrying on business as Jewellers and Silversmiths, at 78 and 79, Lombard-street, in the city of London, under the style or firm of " SEARLE AND CO," has been dissolved by mutual consent as and from the 29th day of April, 1907. All debts due to and owing by the said late firm will be received and paid by the said Frank Eady and Arthur Borlase Eady.
Dated this 29th day of April, 1907.
WALTER H. SEARLE
FRANK EADY
A. BORLASE EADY


Source: The London Gazette - 30th April 1907

However, it did not take long for Walter Searle to bounce back, and by the following year, 1908, he was back in business again, in partnership with his wife, Catherine A. Searle, his son, Robert Noel Searle, and Wilfred George Hoare, trading as Searle, Hoare & Co. of 87, King William Street, London. This business, which was managed by Walter Searle, continued to trade until 1922.

Returning to the original business of Searle & Co., they were converted into a limited liability company in 1909, the first directors being noted as A.B. Eady and W.T. Leviansky. The company is still in business today and located at 1, Royal Exchange, Cornhill, London.

Searle & Co. entered their marks 'W.H.S' contained within a heraldic shield, with the London Assay Office on the 28th March 1899, 6th July 1899, 4th July 1901, and 22nd November 1906, and 'WHS' contained within an heraldic shield on the 4th July 1901.

An example of the mark of Searle & Co.:
Image
London 1904

Trev.

dognose
Site Admin
Posts: 40582
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:53 pm
Location: England

Re: Some London Advertisements and Information

Postby dognose » Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:53 pm

JOSEPH & PEARCE

10, Clerkenwell Road, later, 66, later, 55, Hatton Garden, London


Image
Joseph & Pearce - London - 1946

The diamond mounting business of Lazarus Joseph and John William Pearce was established in 1896 at 10, Clerkenwell Road. In 1899 they were recorded at 66, Hatton Garden.

Joseph & Pearce entered their mark, a rather unusual 'JH & PE' contained within two interlocking ovals, with the London Assay Office on the 20th October 1898.

Trev.

dognose
Site Admin
Posts: 40582
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:53 pm
Location: England

Re: Some London Advertisements and Information

Postby dognose » Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:09 pm

REICHENBERG & Co.

7, later, 106, later 44, Hatton Garden, London, and 66, Rue Leopold Robert, Chaux-de-Fonds, Switzerland


Image
Reichenberg & Co. - London - 1909

Founded by James Reichenberg in 1899 at 7, Hatton Garden, London as Watch Importers. James Reichenberg retired in 1925, the business was continued by Samuel Norman Burgess until his death in 1938. In the 1950's, the directors were noted as G.E. Tredennick, N.A. Tredennick, and M.A. Woiblet.

Reichenberg & Co. converted to a limited liability company in c.1935.

The firm entered their mark 'R & Co' contained within a lozenge shaped punch, on the 30th April 1902, 31st October 1903, 28th November 1903, 26th January 1904, 21st November 1906, and on the 29th January 1908, with the London Assay Office.

The firm also entered a mark 'R & Co' contained within an oblong punch, with the Chester Assay Office on the 12th December 1900.

Trev.

dognose
Site Admin
Posts: 40582
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:53 pm
Location: England

Re: Some London Advertisements and Information

Postby dognose » Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:18 am

BARNETT HENRY ABRAHAMS

128, later, 133-135, Houndsditch, later, 3, & 4, Aldermanbury Postern, later, Diamond House, 36-38, Hatton Garden, later, 9, Hatton Garden,, later, 48, later, 72, & 73, Gamage Building, later, Halton House, 20, & 23, Holborn, London


Image
Barnett H. Abrahams - London - 1894

Image
B. H. Abrahams - London - 1906


Established in c.1866 as 'Newmark & Abrahams' by Marcus Newmark and Barnett Henry Abrahams. In c.1871 they were joined by a Mr. Goldshmidt, and the business was restyled to 'Newmark, Abrahams & Goldshmidt', but this partnership was short-lived and the business reverted to its former name in c.1872.

In 1885, Newmark and Abrahams parted company:

NOTICE is hereby given, that the Partnership heretofore subsisting between us the undersigned, Marcus Newmark and Barnett Henry Abrahams, carrying on business as Wholesale Jewellers and Fancy Goods Importers, at 128, Honndsdifcch, in the city of London, under the style or firm of Newmark and Abrahams, has been dissolved, by mutual consent, as from the 9th day of February, 1885. All debts due to and liabilities due from the said late firm will be received and paid by the said Barnett Henry Abrahams.–Dated this 5th day of February, 1885.
Marcus Newmark.
Barnett Henry Abrahams


Source: The London Gazette - 10th February 1885

The firm were converted into a limited liability company in 1928, styled Barnett H. Abrahams Ltd. The directors be recorded as A.E. Mallandain, R. Levy, H.J. Abrahams, and H.C. Abrahams. The company went into liquidation in 1931, but were acquired as a going concern and continued to trade under the same name, with the new directors being recorded as J. Sylvester and H. Sylvester.


Not only commercial travellers and jobmasters, whom it directly affects, but all employers of servants, are more or less interested in a judgment given by Mr. Justice Ridley. Persons who let out horses, carriages, and drivers have been held responsible for a good many actions of their servants but in this case it was sought to extend the liability to an alarming extent. Mr. Barnett H. Abrahams is a wholesale jeweller in Houndsditch. He drives round London to supply retailers with jewellery, and for that purpose was formerly in the habit of hiring from Mr. Thomas Bullock a horse, brougham, and coachman for five days a week. One day in June, 1898, when in the Old Kent Road, he locked the door of the brougham, and went oft to lunch, leaving the vehicle in the charge of the hired coachman. The driver, who thought this a favourable opportunity for him to get lunch, drove up to a coffee-house, and went inside to get refreshment. When he came out the vehicle had gone. Later, at night, it was found outside a public-house at Brixton, but the whole of the jewellery—valued at £500 - had disappeared. The present action was brought by Mr. Abrahams against Mr. Bullock to recover the value of the jewellery, on the ground that it was lost through the negligence of his servant. The defendant naturally contended that he was not liable. He did not let out his driver to take charge of jewellery, but to drive the plaintiff to the districts he wished to attend. Mr. Justice Ridley, who heard the evidence before the Whitsuntide vacation, has delivered his considered judgment. He holds that the defendant is not responsible for the loss, on the ground that the duty of guarding the jewellery was on the plaintiff. It is believed there will be an appeal.

Source: Rhyl Record and Advertiser - 15th June 1901


BARNETT H. ABRAHAMS Limited.
NOTICE is hereby given pursuant to section 238 of the Companies Act, 1929, that a Meeting of creditors of this Company will be held at Winchester House, Old Broad-street, London, E.C. 2, on Friday the 6th day of February, 1931, at 12 noon.–Dated this 29th day of January, 1931.
By Order of the Board,
L. ESCOTT, Secretary.


Source: The London Gazette - 30th January 1931

The company appears to be dissolved in 1979.

Image

Image

The firm entered their mark 'BHA' contained within an oblong punch, with the London Assay Office, on the 14th March 1888, and on the 27th September 1900. They also entered marks with the Birmingham, Chester, and Sheffield assay offices.

See: http://www.925-1000.com/silverplate_A.html

Trev.

dognose
Site Admin
Posts: 40582
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:53 pm
Location: England

Re: Some London Advertisements and Information

Postby dognose » Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:22 am

FREDERICK WICH & Co.

8 & 10, Great Titchfield Street, Oxford Street, London


Image
Fredk. Wich & Co. - London - 1893

Image
Fredk. Wich & Co. - London - 1903


Messrs. Frederick Wich & Co.
If it were not for the innumerable other dainty and artistic noveIties to be found at 8 and 10, Great Titchfield-street, W., we should be disposed to speak of it as a paradise of leather, for assuredly in the whole trade another stock of these things to equal this is not to be found. Here are absolutely thousands of patterns of purses, letter cases, cigar and cigarette cases, with every description of mounts, from a plain silver corner, up to elaborate fifteen and eighteen carat gold ; and if this is not expensive enough the stock embraces gem-mounted goods. It would be difficult for us to call to mind an occasion when we enjoyed ourselves more than we did the other day when we spent the afternoon strolling through these warehouses amongst those gems of art with which they abound. We have frequently seen of late a number of very lovely things in the best West End establishments, without knowing exactly from whence they came; on this occasion we found ourselves, not only amongst them, but in company of endless others quite as beautiful, and just as original. From time to time we hope to describe more of these things, as the firm have perhaps been a little exclusive in their dealings in the past, and now intend to appeal more to the trade at large. The artistic display of china, vellum, and other oxydised screens, stationery sets, and such like things would require infinitely more space than can be given here, comprising as they do all periods of art. The lovely delicate coloring and the fine detail execution of the painted panels a la Watteau are an absolute sight. The charming variety of artistic Louis XIV., XV., and XVI. oxydised frames, the beautiful combinations of gilt and silver, silver and bronze, and gold and bronze, are enough to tempt anyone who has the least pretensions to a love of the beautiful. These frames are so appreciated by the best West End houses that some of them are employing them with novel and charming effect for ring trays. While speaking of photo frames, reference might be made to a most ingenious combination which to all appearances is an elaborate and very massive walnut and gilt frame for two portraits, as these are artistically displayed in the front; but a touch of a spring and the front falls down, and we have all the requisites for a lady's toilet at her fingers end, including the large mirror. In another instance the same secret device conceals a couple of decanters for liqueurs, and a row of charming little glasses, while others are just as original in their idea and purpose. Passing into another department, we have specimens of all the Continental chinas, Dresden, Sevres, Vienna, and copies of celebrated wares, beautifully ormolu-mounted, as toilet, writing, and other sets. Yet again, here are those marvels of pierced silver onlays that have attracted so much attention of late, and to which reference has been drawn on several occasions by our London correspondent. Amongst carriage and boudoir clocks are also found some novelties, especially in combinations. As to the bronzes, it would be difficult to realise their high artistic merit and the number of new figures. We were also struck by a small coffee urn of geyser action, by which it is impossible tor the water to pass through the coffee except at the boiling point or a little above it, and as it has a spirit lamp forming part of the urn, one may be sure to get all the absolute goodness out of the coffee in a short time, leaving the injurious principles behind. We are confident that many of our readers will feel grateful to us for introducing them to this house of pleasing and saleable novelties.


Source: The Watchmaker, Jeweller and Silversmith - 1st June 1893


Frederick Wich arrived in London from Nuremberg in 1864. He set up business on his own account firstly at 27, Margaret Street, in 1870, and removed to 8 & 10, Great Tichfield Street in 1879, and in 1905 the business had their showrooms and works located at 79, Great Portland Street. In 1916 they were recorded at Newman Passage, Oxford Street, London.


The company went into receivership in 1993:

FREDERICK WICH & CO. LIMITED
(Registered No. 00358546)
Nature of Business: Manufacture Leather Goods.
Trade Classification: 11.
Date of Appointment of Administrative Receivers: 6th July 1993.
Name of Person Appointing the Administrative Receivers: National Westminster Bank Plc.
Joint Administrative Receivers: J. S. Wheatley and A. M. Davies
(Office Holder Nos. 3751 and 8112), of KPMG Peat Marwick, 2, Cornwall Street, Birmingham B3 2DL. (346)
IVOR F. MILES LIMITED
(Registered No. 782506)

FREDERICK WICH (MIDLANDS) LIMITED
(Registered No. 01035333)
Nature of Business: Manufacture Leather Goods.
Trade Classification: 11.
Date of Appointment of Administrative Receivers: 6th July 1993.
Name of Person Appointing the Administrative Receivers: National Westminster Bank Plc.
Joint Administrative Receivers: J. S. Wheatley and A. M. Davies
(Office Holder Nos. 3751 and 8112), of KPMG Peat Marwick, 2
Cornwall Street, Birmingham B3 2DL. (347)

FREDERICK WICH (WALSALL) LIMITED
(Registered No. 00358546)
Nature of Business: Manufacture Leather Goods.
Trade Classification: 11.
Date of Appointment of Administrative Receivers: 6th July 1993.
Name of Person Appointing the Administrative Receivers: National Westminster Bank Plc.
Joint Administrative Receivers: J. S. Wheatley and A. M. Davies
(Office Holder Nos. 3751 and 8112), of KPMG Peat Marwick, 2
Cornwall Street, Birmingham B3 2DL. (348)


Source: The London Gazette - 14th July 1993

The firm entered their mark 'F.W' contained within a losenge shaped punch, on the 17th October 1887, 17th June 1889, 7th June 1899, 13th November 1899, 31st October 1903, and on the 20th April 1907, with the London Assay Office.


Some additional information thanks to Mike (MCB):

Assay office registrations have also been noted at Chester (1896) and Birmingham (1898).

The latest UK Census records available online are for 1911 when Frederick GERRARD Wich aged 65 years born in Baveria (sic) was recorded as a manufacturer of leather goods living at 52 Harley House, Marylebone with his wife Ida Gabrielle aged 62 years born in Vienna. The record shows he had become a naturalised British subject in 1869 but she wasn’t.
There’s no death record for him or his wife in the UK which is surprising because registration was required by law after 1837. There is however an entry in the UK National Probate Calender of the grant of probate in London in 1929 for the Will of Frederick Wich, late of The Hotel Savoy, Merano, Italy which is almost certainly that of the above; value of the estate £12481/19/5d.


Trev.

dognose
Site Admin
Posts: 40582
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:53 pm
Location: England

Re: Some London Advertisements and Information

Postby dognose » Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:49 pm

GEORGE DEWDNEY

172, Fenchurch Street, London


Image
Dewdney - London - 1851


Image
Dewdney - London - 1862

Hair jewellery, Artist in Hair. Dewdney begs to inform Ladies or Gentlemen that he beautifully makes, and elegantly mounts in gold, Hair Bracelets, Chains, Brooches, Rings, Pins, Studs, etc. and forwards the same, at about one-half the usual charge. A beautiful collection of specimens handsomely mounted kept for inspection. An illustrated book sent free. Dewdney, 172 Fenchurch St. London.
Dewdney - London - 1862

By the time of the 1861 census, George Dewdney had died and the business was continued by his widow, Ellen.

An interesting side note to the above business, an assistant employed with Dewdney was Sarah Ann Robertson, who was the Common Law wife of James Maybrick a suspect for Jack the Ripper, who was himself poisoned by his wife. The resulting trial made sensational news both sides of the Alantic.

See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Maybrick

Trev.

dognose
Site Admin
Posts: 40582
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:53 pm
Location: England

Re: Some London Advertisements and Information

Postby dognose » Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:29 am

ROBERT MARTIN

50, Old Bailey, London


Image
Robert Martin - London - 1863

Established in 1851. The business removed from 50, Old Bailey, to 2, St. John's Square, Clerkenwell and then to 9, Giltspur Street, c.1870. Around this time the firm's name was restyled to Robert Martin & Son. The firm later relocated to 17, Albion Buildings, Aldersgate Street, and then to 7, Lovell's Court, Paternoster Row where the partners were recorded as William Henry Martin and James Edward Martin.

The firm entered their marks 'RM' (Robert Martin) incuse and without outline on the 3rd May 1855, 'R.M' (Robert Martin) incuse and without outline on the 8th November 1872, 'WHM' (William Henry Martin) incuse and without outline on the 15th September 1882, and 'W&J.M (William Henry Martin and James Edward Martin)' incuse and without outline on the 24th December 1904, with the London Assay Office.

Trev.

dognose
Site Admin
Posts: 40582
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:53 pm
Location: England

Re: Some London Advertisements and Information

Postby dognose » Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:09 am

THE GOLDSMITHS' HALL MARKED JEWELLERY Co.

95, Strand, and Beaufort Buildings, London


Image
The Goldsmiths' Hall Marked Jewellery Co. - London - 1885

Manager, Mr. C. Locket.

Trev.

dognose
Site Admin
Posts: 40582
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:53 pm
Location: England

Re: Some London Advertisements and Information

Postby dognose » Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:20 pm

THE FRENCH JEWELLERY COMPANY

35, Piccadilly Circus, London


Image
The French Jewellery Company - London - 1880

'SIMILI DIAMONDS'

Trev.


Return to “Contributors' Notes”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 14 guests