Scottish Advertisements and Information

For information you'd like to share - Post it here - not for questions
dognose
Site Admin
Posts: 40629
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:53 pm
Location: England

Re: Scottish Advertisements and Information

Postby dognose » Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:32 am

DAVID PIRIE

262, High Street, Arbroath

Image
David Pirie - Arbroath - 1901

Fomerly with the late D.T. Glenney

Trev.

dognose
Site Admin
Posts: 40629
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:53 pm
Location: England

Re: Scottish Advertisements and Information

Postby dognose » Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:10 pm

A. & J. SMITH

23-25, St. Nicholas Street, and, 191, Union Street, Aberdeen

Image
A. & J. Smith - Aberdeen - 1894


Image
'A & J. S' - 'ABDN'


ABERDEEN INDUSTRIAL EXHIBITION

LAPIDARY WORK

Mr Alex. Smith of Messrs A. & J. Smith, Jewellers, etc., Aberdeen, reports upon the case of lapidary work exhibited by Mr A. S. Cameron, 62, Rose Street, Edinburgh. He says - "The casket, quaich, and letter-press are admirable specimens of lapidary work, and the facetting and polishing of the large cairngorms are perfection and well worthy of a prize. They do Mr Cameron great credit, and also the Trades Council in having procured such a case of high-class workmanship."


Source: Aberdeen Weekly Journal - 27th February 1892

Image
A. & J. Smith - Aberdeen - 1921


The firm of Alexander & John Smith entered their mark, 'A & J. S' contained within an oblong punch with clipped corners at the Edinburgh Assay Office. They appear to have been established in the 1860's, and were still in business in the 1960's.

Trev.

dognose
Site Admin
Posts: 40629
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:53 pm
Location: England

Re: Scottish Advertisements and Information

Postby dognose » Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:08 pm

GEORGE JAMIESON & SON

125, Union Street, Aberdeen

The firm claim it's origin started in 1733 and it's founder Alexander Forbes, located at the "The Head of Broad Street" in Aberdeen. The first note of a Jamieson was that of William Jamieson, son of William Jamison, Advocate at Aberdeen, who was bound to James Gordon for seven years as from the 1st May 1793. Upon completion of his apprenticeship, his indentures having been registered on the 3rd April 1800, he left Aberdeen to take employment in London to gain experience. Upon his return to Aberdeen, William Jamieson was admitted into Aberdeen Hammermen on the 14th June 1806, and admitted as Goldsmith Burgess on the 27th September 1808.

Image
1805

In 1805 William Jamieson entered a partnership with George Roger, a former partner of James Gordon, the firm being known as William Jamieson & Co. This partnership appears to have ended by 1812.

William Jamieson died in 1841 and the business passed to his son, George Jamieson, George, who amazingly, was William's nineteenth, and final, apprentice, having been bound to his father for seven years as from the 2nd February 1833. George's indentures were registered on the 28th January 1840, and he was admitted into the Hammerman on the 27th March 1843 having already been admitted as a Goldsmith Burgess on the 13th March 1843. George Jamieson was noted as an exhibitor at the 1862 International Exhibition and was also known to be a customer of the London silversmiths Samuel Hayne & Dudley Cater, and it their work most often found struck with Jamieson's mark also. By 1867 he had moved the business to 107, Union Street, and in 1875 he took his son, William George Jamieson into partnership with the firm being known as George Jamieson & Son. William George Jamieson was admitted into the Aberdeen Hammermen on the 30th December 1875.

Image
Geo. Jamieson & Son - Aberdeen - 1875

Image
Geo. Jamieson & Son - Aberdeen - 1877

In 1908 the firm was purchased outright by William Whyte Carry, who had been a partner in the business since 1881.

Image
William Whyte Carry

Image
Geo. Jamieson & Son - Aberdeen - 1900

In 1925, William Wythe Carry took the decision to move the business to 142 Union Street. Then, in 1933, on the bi-centenary of the original founding of the firm, William Whyte Carry's son Joseph Robert Carry was made a partner and the firm's name was changed to 'Jamieson & Carry'. Joseph Carry's wife, Diana, and his son, Michael Robert Carry, became partners in the business in 1969. Another son, Peter David Carry, became a partner in 1976.

Image

The firm are still in business today and still located at 142, Union Street, Aberdeen.

Over the years the firm has used the services of the Edinburgh, London, and Sheffield assay offices.

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image
GJ - ABDn. - Edinburgh - 1841



Image

Image

Image
G.J & S - A.B.Dn

Trev.

dognose
Site Admin
Posts: 40629
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:53 pm
Location: England

Re: Scottish Advertisements and Information

Postby dognose » Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:47 am

ALEXANDER LEASK & Co.

38, Marischal Street, Aberdeen

Image
Alexander Leask & Co. - Aberdeen - 1860

Alexander Leask & Co. were also recorded as Bullion Dealers of 38, Marischal Street, Aberdeen in 1860.

Trev.

dognose
Site Admin
Posts: 40629
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:53 pm
Location: England

Re: Scottish Advertisements and Information

Postby dognose » Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:53 am

WILLIAM FRASER

1, High Street, later, 33, Bridge Street, Inverness

Image
William Fraser - Inverness - 1873

Established 1807


LEGAL

WESTREN v. MACDONALD AND OTHERS

An appeal case of considerable importance to firms doing business on the " approbation " system came lately before the Inverness Court of Session, and it is satisfactory to note, both in the interests of wholesalers and of common sense, that the judgement of the inferior Court has been reversed. The facts of the case are as follows :– An action was some time ago raised in the Sheriff Court at Inverness by Donald Macdonald, painter, Bridge Street, Inverness, to sequestrate the stock and effects of William Fraser, watchmaker and jeweller, 33, Bridge Street there, for rent. In that process a minute was put in by Peter Westren, working jeweller, 27, Frederick Street, Edinburgh, stating that a number of the articles of jewellery in Fraser's shop had been sent by him to Fraser " on sale or return," and he craved the Court to have these articles returned to him. The trustee on Fraser's estate also claimed the articles in question, and Sheriff-Substitute Blair repelled the claim of Westren and sustained the claim of the trustee, subject always to the hypothec of the landlord, Macdonald. The Sheriff- Substitute held that the right to return the goods had never been exercised by Fraser, and the obligation to pay the price had become absolute. Westren appealed to the Second Division of the Court of Session, and on Thursday the Court sustained the appeal and the claim by the appellant to the articles in question. Lord Young said that the general question in the case was whether goods sent upon sale or return, and which were in the shop of Fraser at the time of his bankruptcy, belonged to the dealer who sent the goods or to the creditors of the bankrupt. His lordship was of opinion that the man who sent the goods was entitled to them as his property. A contract of "sale or return " was quite familiar in practice. It was of this nature : the jeweller had his shop supplied with goods upon the footing that he might deal with them as his own by selling them, in which case he was held to be the purchaser at a previously agreed on price from the merchant who sent them to him upon these terms ; or he might, after keeping them for a longer or shorter period, decline to make them his own, or fail to sell them, in which case he was entitled to send them back as never having been bought by him from the merchant, and the merchant was entitled to demand them back as never having been sold. It was a very special contract, but it was quite intelligible, and the considerations and convenience of trade which had led to it were quite intelligible. A jeweller, even in much larger towns than Inverness, could not afford to purchase a stock of expensive jewellery, and in these circumstances he resorted to a wholesale jeweller, who allowed him to have his goods in the shop upon the footing of what was called " sale or return." Now, the property of goods so sent did not pass by that contract ; but if the shopkeeper sold these goods, then the property did pass, but if he became bankrupt without having done anything to appropriate these goods, without dealing with them as his own, his lordship had no idea that the property passed to him, and was attachable by his creditors. His lordship was of opinion that the contract of " sale or return " did not in itself pass property–the delivery of the goods did not pass property, it only placed the recipient in a position of acquiring the property at any time he pleased. Their lordships concurred, and the appellant (Westren) was found entitled to his expenses against the trustee.


Source: The Watchmaker, Jeweller and Silversmith - 1st September 1888


William Fraser relocated his business from 1, High Street to 33, Bridge Street, Inverness in around June 1878 (Advertisement - William Fraser - Removal of business from High Street to 33 Bridge Street - Inverness Advertiser - 14th June 1878)

Trev.

dognose
Site Admin
Posts: 40629
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:53 pm
Location: England

Re: Scottish Advertisements and Information

Postby dognose » Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:57 am

SUTHERLAND & HORNE

10, Meuse Lane, later, 10a, South Street, Andrew Street, Edinburgh

Image
Sutherland & Horne - Edinburgh - 1892

Image
Sutherland & Horne - Edinburgh - 1898

Established in 1820.

Sutherland & Horne were acquired by Henry Tatton & Son Ltd. (Henry Tatton and Edward Roy Tatton) in 1930, the previous sole owner of Sutherland & Horne was Peter B. Horne.

Sutherland & Horne entered their marks with the Edinburgh Assay Office, 'S & H' contained within either a plain oblong punch or an oblong punch with clipped corners.

Trev.

dognose
Site Admin
Posts: 40629
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:53 pm
Location: England

Re: Scottish Advertisements and Information

Postby dognose » Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:05 am

BROOK & SON (Successors to Marshall & Sons)

87, George Street, Edinburgh

Image
Brook & Son - Edinburgh - 1918

Image
Brook & Son - Edinburgh - 1923

Alexander James Steel Brook's father had been employed at Marshalls since 1853, Alexander himself had worked there since 1873. In 1891 they acquired Marshalls, and restyled the business to Brook & Son. They soon appointed Daniel Stewart as designer, and in 1935 it was noted that he had been with Brook & Son for 42 years. Following Alexander's death in 1908, the firm passed to his son, William, who died in 1941.

Image
1892

Brook & Son entered their marks at the Edinburgh, London, and Sheffield assay offices.

Image
Brook & Son - Edinburgh - 1926

Image
Brook & Son - London - 1924

See also: http://www.925-1000.com/dlEdinburgh.html


Two Silver Flagons, designed and made by Messrs. Brook and Son, the well-known Edinburgh silversmiths, have been presented to Tester Parish Church. Each flagon bears on one side the design of the Burning Bush, with the Church's motto, Nec tamen consumebaiur; and on the other side the vine branch with leaves and clusters, and the words of our Lord, I am the vine, ye are the Branches. The chasing at the base of the flagons has been imitated from the oldest Communion cups of the parish, the date of which is 1683. Each flagon has on it the following inscription: "To the Glory of God, and in Pious Memory of James Hunter, Merchant, Edinburgh, these two Flagons are gifted to the Church of Yester, by R J. Hunter, in the Ministry of the Rev. P. Hay Hunter, 1895."

Source: The Church of Scotland Home and Foreign Mission Record - 1896


Royal Medical Society Of Edinburgh.—The annual dinner took place in the Royal Hotel, Prince's Street, Edinburgh, on Friday, 13th inst., Dr. Joseph E. Bowes, senior President, in the chair. These was a distinguished company, including Dr. Watson Cheyne, of London; Professors Crum Brown, Rutherford, Greenfield, Chiene, and Simpson. In the course of the evening, Professor A R. Simpson, M.D., in the name of the fellows and members of the Royal Medical Society, presented to Mr. J. R. Young, pharmaceutical chemist, 17, North Bridge, Edinburgh, a handsome silver bowl on ebony stand, in token of their high appreciation of the manner in which he had filled the position of honorary treasurer to the Society during the long period of twenty years. Mr. Young said Professor Simpson had been appointed as successor to the late J. F. Macfarlan. The splendid work he had done for the cause of education in connection with the Edinburgh Merchant Company was well known to them all. He was one of their best known and most honoured citizens, and for many years hid filled the position of a Justice of the Peace for the City of Edinburgh. The bowl, which was specially designed and manufactured by Brook and Son, George Street, measures 11½ inches in height by 14 inches in diameter, and weighs about 90 ozs. There was also presented at the same time by the Society to Mrs. Young a handsome gold and diamond bracelet. Mr. Young, who, in his reply, exhibited much of his old eloquence and vigour, gave many interesting reminiscences of the history and progress of the Society during his tenure of office.

Source: The Pharmaceutical Journal - 21st March 1896


An example of the reproduction of the Traprain spoon by Brook & Son, assayed at Edinburgh in 1933:

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image
B & S - Edinburgh - 1933


A tea caddie in the shape of a knife box:

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image
B & S - Sheffield - 1909

Trev.

dognose
Site Admin
Posts: 40629
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:53 pm
Location: England

Re: Scottish Advertisements and Information

Postby dognose » Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:44 pm

DONALD MACRAE

28, Eastgate, Inverness

Image
MacRae - Inverness - 1907

Image
MacRae - Inverness - 1912

Image
MacRae - Inverness - 1927

Established in 1887. Donald MacRae continued to work out of the premises at 28, Eastgate until c.1930.


I'm unsure if the below relates to Donald MacRae:

Scotch Sequestrations

D. Macrae, Inverness, Watchmaker, Jan 26, at 12, at Procurator's Rooms, Inverness.


Source: The Times - 19th January 1884


Donald MacRae entered marks at the Glasgow Assay Office.

Trev.

dognose
Site Admin
Posts: 40629
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:53 pm
Location: England

Re: Scottish Advertisements and Information

Postby dognose » Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:22 pm

ARTHUR MEDLOCK later MEDLOCK & CRAIK

35, Castle Street, later 6, Bridge Street, Inverness

Image
Medlock's Highland Jewellery Establishment - Inverness - 1893

Arthur Medlock was born at Polton Street, Cockpen, Midlothian on the 17th June 1852. He served his apprenticeship as watchmaker, probably under Daniel Ferguson of Inverness as it is noted that he married Ferguson's daughter, Anne, on the 22nd April 1874.

Arthur Medlock started in business on his own account in c.1876 from premises at 35, Castle Street, Inverness. In May 1883 he relocated to the No.6, Bridge Street premises where he was to stay for the rest of his career. He was a known maker of Highland Ornaments and gold jewellery. Although Medlock entered marks at the Edinburgh Assay Office in 1890, most of his output appears to be marked with just a simple 'MEDLOCK' and 'INVss'. In September 1913, Athur Medlock sold his business to James Robert Craik, and the new owner styled his business as Medlock & Craik.

Following his retirement, Arthur Medlock took residence in Ireland and died there on the 4th August 1930.

Trev.

dognose
Site Admin
Posts: 40629
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:53 pm
Location: England

Re: Scottish Advertisements and Information

Postby dognose » Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:59 pm

WILLIAM TAYLOR

44, East High Street, Forfar

Image
William Taylor - Forfar - 1898

Trev.

dognose
Site Admin
Posts: 40629
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:53 pm
Location: England

Re: Scottish Advertisements and Information

Postby dognose » Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:55 pm

CHARLES B. CAUGHIE

36, Argyle Arcade, Buchanan Street, Glasgow

Image
Charles B. Caughie - Glasgow - 1888

Trev.

dognose
Site Admin
Posts: 40629
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:53 pm
Location: England

Re: Scottish Advertisements and Information

Postby dognose » Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:50 am

A.W. Fraser

Grantown-on-Spey

Image
A.W. Fraser - Grantown-on-Spey - 1895

Late Webber's of London

Trev.

dognose
Site Admin
Posts: 40629
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:53 pm
Location: England

Re: Scottish Advertisements and Information

Postby dognose » Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:18 am

W.B. TAYLOR

27, Church Street, Inverness

Image
W.B. Taylor - Inverness - 1912

Image
W.B. Taylor - Inverness - 1927

William Buchanan Taylor entered his marks, 'W.T', 'W·T', both contained within oblong punches with clipped corners, with the Edinburgh Assay Office. He also registered an incuse punch without outline 'TAYLOR' with the EAO. His first assays were in 1904.

Trev.

dognose
Site Admin
Posts: 40629
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:53 pm
Location: England

Re: Scottish Advertisements and Information

Postby dognose » Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:12 am

ALEXANDER DUNCAN

75, Buchanan Street, Glasgow

Image
Alexander Duncan - Glasgow - 1890

Alexander Duncan likely entered three marks with the Glasgow Assay Office, 'AD' contained within an oblong punch with clipped corners, 'A·D' contained within an oblong punch with clipped corners, and 'A.D' contained within a domino shaped punch.

Trev.

dognose
Site Admin
Posts: 40629
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:53 pm
Location: England

Re: Scottish Advertisements and Information

Postby dognose » Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:55 am

PETER BROWN

18, High Street, later, 6, Sandgate Street, Ayr

Image
Peter Brown - Ayr - 1845


Peter Brown was recorded as a Clock, Watchmaker, and Engraver located at 18, High Street, Ayr, in 1837.

Source: Pigot and Co.'s National Commercial Directory of Scotland - James Pigot - 1837


Scotch Bankrupts

April 22, Peter Brown, Clock and Watchmaker, Ayr. Creditors to meet at the Kings Arms Inn, Ayr, 1st and 29th May, at one o'clock.


Source: Glasgow Herald - 27th April 1846


Examinations

Creditors of Peter Brown, late Clock and Watchmaker in Ayr, will receive a final dividend at the Ayrshire Banking Company's Office there, 23rd February.


Source: Caledonian Mercury - 21st January 1847

Trev.

dognose
Site Admin
Posts: 40629
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:53 pm
Location: England

Re: Scottish Advertisements and Information

Postby dognose » Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:07 pm

CHARLES MELVIN

37, Market Street, later, 27, Union Terrace, and later still, 185, Union Street, Aberdeen

The jeweller, Charles Melvin appears to have started business from 37, Market Street, Aberdeen, in the late 1880's. In 1890 he removed his premises to 27, Union Terrace, opposite the Wallace Monument, and in 1895 he moved yet again to 185, Union Street. Charles Melvin was most noted for his Scotch pearl jewellery.

Image
Chas. Melvin - Aberdeen - 1893

Charles Melvin entered his mark, 'C·M' contained within an oval, at the Edinburgh Assay Office around the turn of the century.

Trev.

dognose
Site Admin
Posts: 40629
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:53 pm
Location: England

Re: Scottish Advertisements and Information

Postby dognose » Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:09 am

ANDREW WIGHT

18, High Street, Ayr

Image
Andrew Wight - Ayr - 1845

Sequestrations

February 29, Andrew Wight, Watchmaker and Jeweller in Ayr. Creditors meet at the Ayr Arms Inn there, 9th and 30th March, 2 o'clock.


Source: Caledonian Mercury - 2nd March 1848


Scotch Bankrupts

Andrew Wight, Watchmaker, Ayr


Source: The Morning Post - 3rd March 1848


Examinations

Andrew Wight, Watchmaker and Jeweller in Ayr, to be examined within the Sheriff-court-house, Ayr, 24th April at 10 o'clock. Creditors to meet within the Ayr Arms Inn, Ayr, 5th May at 2 o'clock.


Source: Glasgow Herald - 7th April 1848

Trev.

dognose
Site Admin
Posts: 40629
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:53 pm
Location: England

Re: Scottish Advertisements and Information

Postby dognose » Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:32 am

THOMAS FREW

32, Cadzow Street, Hamilton

Image
Thomas Frew - Hamilton - 1899

Trev.

dognose
Site Admin
Posts: 40629
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:53 pm
Location: England

Re: Scottish Advertisements and Information

Postby dognose » Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:05 am

JOHN BETHUNE

21-23, later, 15-19, Clerk Street, Edinburgh

Image
John Bethune - Edinburgh - 1918

Image
John Bethune - Edinburgh - 1930

As can be seen, the business of John Bethune was that of a Masonic Furnisher. By 1939 it was recorded that the firm was in the hands of William Forbes, he being the sole owner of the business, the recorded address being: 15-19, Clerk Street, Edinburgh. The business appears to disappear around the time of WWII.

John Bethune entered marks with the Edinburgh Assay Office, an incuse punch without outline 'JOHN BETHUNE', and 'J.B' contained within an oblong punch with clipped corners.

John Bethune also entered a mark with the Chester Assay Office on the 23rd June 1920, 'JB' contained within an oblong punch with notches at the top and bottom. He was recorded as the CAO as a Regalia Manufacturer of 19, 21, 23, Clerk Street, Edinburgh, his private residence being noted as 'Viewfield', Currie, Midlothian.

Trev.

dognose
Site Admin
Posts: 40629
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:53 pm
Location: England

Re: Scottish Advertisements and Information

Postby dognose » Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:54 am

HUGH LAUDER

8, Albert Place, Rothesay

Image
Hugh Lauder - Rothesay - 1898

Image
Hugh Lauder - Rothesay - 1904

Image
Hugh Lauder - Rothesay - 1908

Image
Hugh Lauder - Rothesay - 1922

Successor to George Edward.

Hugh Lauder died in 1917, the business was continued by perhaps a son of the same name, as I have noted references to Hugh Lauder Snr.

Trev.


Return to “Contributors' Notes”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests