P.G. Wilson - Inverness - c.1870
P.G. Wilson - Inverness - 1878
P.G. Wilson - Inverness - 1887
This was the business of Peter George Wilson. Born on the 2nd April 1843 at New Keith, Banffshire. He served his time as apprentice to his father, a jeweller also named Peter Wilson, in the mid 1850's and he opened his first shop at 100, Church Street, Inverness in the mid 1860's, he moved later that same year to 8, Union Street, Inverness.
Peter Wilson was a very canny man and never missed a trick where business was concerned. He cornered the market when gold was discovered in Scotland, paying over the odds for every ounce mined, but reaped the rewards when the end product was finished, as few could genuinely claim that their wares were made from real Scottish gold. In 1866 Peter Wilson had the very good fortune to be patronised by the Baron Rothschild and his party when they were touring the Highlands and when visiting Inverness they acquired several pieces from Wilson. Later, when the Rothschilds visited their friends, the Prince and Princess of Wales, Wilson's jewellery was much admired by them and in 1867 Wilson was summoned to appear at Balmoral with a selection of his jewellery and was favoured with several orders from the Queen and the Royal Family. It was an association that was to last several years and in the following year, 1867, Peter Wilson was granted the Royal Warrant.
In 1873 Peter Wilson removed to 44, High Street and on the 27th March 1879 he married Helen Whyte at Aberlour near the town of Elgin.
In 1882 Wilson purchased the old established business of Robert Naughten II at 27, Church Street, Inverness and in 1889 he moved to 1, High Street. His wife, Helen, died in March 1901 and Wilson relocated to 50, Church Street.
Peter Wilson's business was disposed of in 1915 by a public auction. It was a sad end to a once thriving business, as the sale details stated 'The auctioneer has every confidence in recommending the quality of the stock, although the goods and premises have been neglected on account of the propreitor's ill health'
Peter George Wilson was to survive for another ten years, he passed away in January 1925. Items of his manufacture were marked ' PGW. INS' or 'P.G.WILSON INVERNESS'.