The Canadian Trade, Information, Advertisements, Etc.

For information you'd like to share - Post it here - not for questions
dognose
Site Admin
Posts: 40613
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:53 pm
Location: England

Re: The Canadian Trade, Information, Advertisements, Etc.

Postby dognose » Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:26 am

ROBERT NEIL

Notre Dame Street, Lower Town, Montreal

Image
Robert Neil - Montreal - 1857

Trev.

dognose
Site Admin
Posts: 40613
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:53 pm
Location: England

Re: The Canadian Trade, Information, Advertisements, Etc.

Postby dognose » Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:01 am

H. LAGGATT

Corner of Notre Dame and St.Gabriel Streets, Montreal

Image
H. Laggatt - Montreal - 1853

Trev.

dognose
Site Admin
Posts: 40613
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:53 pm
Location: England

Re: The Canadian Trade, Information, Advertisements, Etc.

Postby dognose » Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:33 am

W.C. MORRISON - TORONTO JEWELRY & REGALIA MANUFACTORY

12, King Street West, Toronto

Image
W.C. Morrison - Toronto - 1873

Established in 1842.

Trev.

dognose
Site Admin
Posts: 40613
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:53 pm
Location: England

Re: The Canadian Trade, Information, Advertisements, Etc.

Postby dognose » Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:49 pm

WILLIAM STENNETT

Kingston and 110 1/2, King Street, Toronto


Image

Image

Tablespoon 8 3/4" (22cm) in length and weighs 58 grams.


William Stennett was known to have worked 1822-1847.

In 1836 William Stennett was noted at the Treasurer of the St. George's Society of Toronto.

In 1837 William Stennett was recorded in the Toronto & Home District Directory as being located at 110 1/2 King Street, Toronto.

Stennett is recorded in John E. Langton's Canadian Silversmiths 1700-1900 (p.132)

See: http://www.925-1000.com/canadiansilver_02.html

Trev.

dognose
Site Admin
Posts: 40613
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:53 pm
Location: England

Re: The Canadian Trade, Information, Advertisements, Etc.

Postby dognose » Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:23 pm

WILLIAM WHARIN

3, Rossin House, 123, 47, King Street West, and 11, King Street East, Toronto

Image
W. Wharin - Toronto - 1864

Image
W. Wharin - Toronto - 1865

Image
W. Wharin & Co. - Toronto - 1866

Image
W. Wharin & Co. - Toronto - 1886

Noted as being located at 123 King Street West, Rosin House block, Toronto, in an 1862 advertisement in the 'York Herald'.


WM. WHARIN & CO. JEWELLERS, Etc.
As watchmakers and jewellers the firm of Wm. Wharin & Co., (Wm. Wharin A.W.L. Wilkinson) deservedly hold a high position. Their store No. 11 King Street, six doors east of Yonge Street, is most tastefully and elegantly constructed, and contains a large and extensive assortment of fine gold and silver watches, rich jewellery, jet goods, electro-plated ware, parlor, dinning and office clocks, in Ormolu, marble, gilt and bronze, &c., &c. Messrs. Wharin & Co. give special attention to the watch trade, and have every facility for furnishing fine gold and silver watches, of the best English and Swiss manufacture. They have also on hand a large assortment of the celebrated American watch. Special care has been given to the selection of watches, none being offered for sale, but such as can be relied upon to be correct time keepers. To their assortment of electro- plated ware we would draw special notice, their stock includes every variety of tea and coffee setts, water kettles, cruets, salvers, spoons, forks, &c., and plate suitable for presentation, in design and workmanship as near perfection as the highest art can render them. We can safely assert that articles better made, or more highly finished, it would be impossible to procure either in the United States or elsewhere. A visit to their establishment will convey a better idea of what can be procured there than any description however voluminous.


Source: Toronto as a Market for Western Canada Merchants with Descriptive Notes of the Principal Business Establishments in the City - 1866



W. Wharin & Co., Dealer in Watches, Clocks and Jewellry, 47 King Street West.–Among the business houses of Toronto located on King Street West, which are prominent in their line, is that of W. Wharin & Co., dealers in watches, clocks and jewellery, who are located at 47 King Street West. The business was established in 1852, and has grown in importance since its inception. The premises occupied are 13 x 80 feet in dimensions. Messrs. Wharin & Co. keep a full line of American watches in gold, silver and filled cases, which are considered the most durable and reliable in the market. Mr. Wharin, the proprietor, is a native of England, and has resided in Canada for the past 57 years. He is a gentleman who, both in his commercial relations and private life has won the esteem of all.

Source: Industries of Canada : Historical and Commercial Sketches of Toronto and Environs - 1886

Trev.

dognose
Site Admin
Posts: 40613
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:53 pm
Location: England

Re: The Canadian Trade, Information, Advertisements, Etc.

Postby dognose » Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:15 am

GEORGE WARD

103, Church Street, Toronto

Image
G. Ward - Toronto - 1874


G.Ward, Manufacturing Jeweller and Watchmaker, 103 Church Street. –The business conducted by Mr. G. Ward, at 103 Church Street, was originally established by his father in 1831, doing business at different times on Yonge and King Streets, and near the old post office in 1850, and the present location was occupied early this year. Mr. Ward learned his business with his father, and subsequently went into business with Mr. Stennett. Mr. Ward manufactures to order diamond rings, masonic and other emblems, and medals of all descriptions, he also does electro-plating, chasing and engraving, besides the repairing of watches and clocks. The premises occupied are 18x60 feet in dimensions, and he gives employment to from six to eightteen hands, according to the season. It is the oldest established jewellery house in the city. Mr. Ward was born in Rochester, N.Y., and came to Canada with his father in the year 1831.

Source: Industries of Canada : Historical and Commercial Sketches of Toronto and Environs - 1886

Noted at Toronto Street 1853-c.1858, King Street c.1858-?, 27, Colborne Street 1876-1885, 103, Church Street 1886-?

Trev.

dognose
Site Admin
Posts: 40613
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:53 pm
Location: England

Re: The Canadian Trade, Information, Advertisements, Etc.

Postby dognose » Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:30 pm

H.F. HUNTLEY

Queen Street, Kincardine, Ontario

Image
H.F. Huntley - Kincardine - 1867

Trev.

dognose
Site Admin
Posts: 40613
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:53 pm
Location: England

Re: The Canadian Trade, Information, Advertisements, Etc.

Postby dognose » Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:18 pm

GOULDEN & TROREY

61 King Street East, Toronto

Goulden & Trorey, Manufacturing Jewellers, and Dealers in Diamonds and Precious Stones, etc, 61 King Street East, opposite Toronto Street. –
A large and important jewellery establishment on King Street East is that of Messrs. Goulden & Trorey, which is located at No. 61 on that thoroughfare, where those gentlemen carry on a large and successful business as manufacturers and dealers. The store is neatly and tastefully fitted up with plate glass show cases and elaborate counters of elegant design. Among the varied assortment of rich and beautiful articles to be seen here are diamonds, precious stones, watches, gold and silver jewellery, electro plate, marble clocks, etc. In the rear of the store is the factory, which is fitted up with all modern appliances for conducting the business on an extensive scale. A staff of eight competent workmen are employed. All kinds of jewellery are manufactured and repaired on the premises ; gems are re-set and special attention paid to engraving and designing, also to repairing fine class watches, chronographs, repeaters, split seconds, French clocks, music boxes, etc. Mr. Goulden is a native of Birmingham, England, and his partner, Mr. G. E. Trorey, comes from Niagara Falls, Ont. Both are well and favourably known in Toronto, where they have resided for many years.


Source: Industries of Canada : Historical and Commercial Sketches of Toronto and Environs - 1886

By 1893 this business was styled Geo. E. Trorey. In 1907 the company was acquired by Henry Birks & Sons, with Trorey staying on as manager.

Trev.

dognose
Site Admin
Posts: 40613
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:53 pm
Location: England

Re: The Canadian Trade, Information, Advertisements, Etc.

Postby dognose » Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:34 am

J.B. THOMPSON

Mississaga Street, Orillia

Image
J.B. Thompson - Orillia - 1872

This would be John Boyd Thompson. His premises located at Mississaga Street were destroyed by fire on the night of the 6th August 1879. The inferno that swept Orillia that night, gutted the heart of the town, engulfing and consuming over twenty buildings including John Thompson's and also another jeweller's premises, that of M.E. Drew.

Image
Image of J.B. Thompson when in his role of Deputy Reeve of Simcoe County Council in 1885.


Image
John Boyd Thompson - Orillia - 1892


Sealed tenders are invited up to Oct. 1 inclusive for the purchase of the stock and fixtures of the late John B. Thompson, Orillia, Ont. Rev. John Gray and Wm. I. Forbes, Orillia, are joint executors.

Source: The Jewelers' Circular and Horological Review - 28th September 1892

Trev.

dognose
Site Admin
Posts: 40613
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:53 pm
Location: England

Re: The Canadian Trade, Information, Advertisements, Etc.

Postby dognose » Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:38 am

THOMAS WICKS & SON

77 Yonge Street, Toronto

Image
T. Wicks & Son - Toronto-1886

T. Wicks & Son, Practical Watchmakers,Jewellers. Engravers and Opticians, 77 Yonge Street. – Although the headquarters of the above important house have been situated in Cobourg until last March, yet the extensive operations conducted by it in this section of the country, and the fact that it is one of the leading houses of the kind in this Province, it is fully necessary that some brief facts with regard to it should form part of the ensemble of this volume. The business was established by Mr. Thomas Wicks in 1877, who previously had an extensive experience with the trade, since which time the transactions of the house have been steadily assuming larger proportions. Occupying attractive premises of 64 x 16 feet in dimensions, located at 77 Yonge Street, which is well stocked with a complete and well selected assortment of everything in the watchmaking and jewellery line, the firm make a specialty of engraving and steel stamp cutting, for which work they were the recipients of two medals at the Industrial Exhibition here in 1885. Mr. Wicks, sr., is an Englishman by birth and a gentleman of sterling worth and ability, while his son, Mr. Thomas H. Wicks, is a young man of rare capacity as a practical workman, as well as being endowed with much business ability and gentlemanly demeanour.

Source: Industries of Canada : Historical and Commercial Sketches of Toronto and Environs - 1886

Trev.

dognose
Site Admin
Posts: 40613
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:53 pm
Location: England

Re: The Canadian Trade, Information, Advertisements, Etc.

Postby dognose » Sun Mar 10, 2013 6:48 am

C.J. ARDOUIN

60, Rue Saint Jean, later, 25, Fabrique Street, Quebec

Image
C.J. Ardouin - Quebec -1853

Image
C.J. Ardouin - Quebec -1857

Image
C.J. Ardouin - Quebec -1857

Image
C.J. Ardouin - Quebec -1861

Trev.

dognose
Site Admin
Posts: 40613
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:53 pm
Location: England

Re: The Canadian Trade, Information, Advertisements, Etc.

Postby dognose » Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:38 am

R.G. DOHERTY

360 Queen Street West, Toronto

R.G. Doherty, Watchmaker, Jeweller, etc., 360 Queen Street West.– One of the most complete establishments in its line in this city is the Toronto Horological Workshops, of which Mr. R. G. Doherty is proprietor, the premises being located at 360 Queen Street West. He has been established in business for three and a half years, and gives employment to four assistants. R. G. Doheity has a peculiar aptitude for mechanics, and has improved the machinery he uses in his business so that the work done by him is more perfect than that done by less improved machinery. His specialty is repairing English made watches, whose mechanism he thoroughly understands, but he also repairs American, Swiss or other watches. He has done work for some of the leading families in Toronto, to whom he refers. He was born in Londonderry, Ireland, in February of 1855, in which place he learned his trade and went into business, but being burned out, he came to Toronto and founded the present establishment, which is amongst the best in the city and the cheapest in the Dominion. Finest watch-glasses carefully fitted, 5c.; best quality of mainsprings adjusted and fitted, 75c.; cleaning, 75c. .Satisfaction given or money returned.

Source: Industries of Canada : Historical and Commercial Sketches of Toronto and Environs - 1886

Trev.

dognose
Site Admin
Posts: 40613
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:53 pm
Location: England

Re: The Canadian Trade, Information, Advertisements, Etc.

Postby dognose » Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:20 am

R.D. BAKER

Sheffield House, Newmarket, CW

Image
R.D. Baker - Newmarket, CW - 1866

Trev.

dognose
Site Admin
Posts: 40613
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:53 pm
Location: England

Re: The Canadian Trade, Information, Advertisements, Etc.

Postby dognose » Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:51 am

MERIDAN SILVER PLATE Co., later consolidated with, MERIDEN BRITANNIA Co.

Factory: Hamilton. Showrooms: 14 Colborne Street, Toronto

Image
Meriden Britannia Co. - Hamilton - 1900

Meridan Silver Plate Co., Manufacturers of Fine Electro-plated Ware. Factories at Meriden, Con., U.S. and Hamilton, Ont.; Salesrooms, 14 Colborne Street. H. R. Warren, Manager, Toronto Office.–Among the most prominent of the Electroplate Works in the Dominion of Canada must be ranked the Meriden Silver Plate Co., an American enterprise, with head-quarters for the Dominion at Hamilton, Ont. Such has been the increase of business done by this firm, that it was deemed advisable to open a Toronto warehouse ; accordingly, the handsome building at No. 14 Colborne Street, with a sample-room 40 x 90 feet, was utilized, where a complete line of their goods is now carried in stock, which is pronounced a great convenience, both by merchants from out of town as well as local dealers. Mr. H. R Warren, who watches over the interests of the firm in the city, is an American, and his varied experience enables him to successfully superintend the delicate work entrusted to his care, For first-class work in its line this house stands pre-eminently in the foremost ranks.

Source: Industries of Canada : Historical and Commercial Sketches of Toronto and Environs - 1886

Image
Meriden Britannia Co. - Hamilton - 1900

The Meriden Silver Plate Co. was established at Toronto in 1881, they relocated to Hamilton in 1884.

Trev.

dognose
Site Admin
Posts: 40613
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:53 pm
Location: England

Re: The Canadian Trade, Information, Advertisements, Etc.

Postby dognose » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:01 am

PETER POULIN

33, St. John's Street, Quebec

Image
P.E. Poulin - Quebec - 1856

Image
P. Poulin & Son - Quebec - 1868

Trev.

dognose
Site Admin
Posts: 40613
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:53 pm
Location: England

Re: The Canadian Trade, Information, Advertisements, Etc.

Postby dognose » Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:29 am

W.B. HILL formerly HILL, HOUGHTON & Co.

31, King Street East, Toronto

W.B. Hill, Manufacturing Jeweller, 31 King St East. –This business was founded in 1878, by Messrs. Hill, Houghton & Co., and since that time, from a comparatively small beginning it has steadily grown in importance and extent, and at present is in the enjoyment of a large share of the best patronage of the city and province. The commodious premises occupied are provided with every facility, and all modern appliances for the turning out of first-class work, a staff of twenty experienced operatives are employed, all under the direct supervision of Mr. W.B. Hill himself. The firm manufactures all kinds of fine jewellery, and deals largely in diamonds and precious stones. A specialty is made of diamond setting and mounting, and in this department the house has an excellent reputation as well as a most liberal patronage. In the beginning of 1886, Mr. Hill became sole proprietor of the business. Mr. Hill is a native of Toronto, and has had a long and practical experience of 33 years in his line of business, having worked 10 or 12 years in New York previous to establishing business in Toronto. He was a member of the Naval Brigade formed for active service during the time of the " Trent affair," and is held in high esteem in his native city.

Source: Industries of Canada : Historical and Commercial Sketches of Toronto and Environs - 1886

Trev.

dognose
Site Admin
Posts: 40613
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:53 pm
Location: England

Re: The Canadian Trade, Information, Advertisements, Etc.

Postby dognose » Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:20 am

JAMES E. ELLIS & Co.

Corner of King and Yonge Streets, Toronto

Image

JAMES E. ELLIS & CO., Watch Maker, Jeweller, and Silversmith. corner of King and Yonge Streets.–The manufacture of jewellery was introduced on the American Continent between 1790 and 1795, and the discovery of gold in California led greatly to its development; at the present time many thousand hands are employed at it, to which a capital of many million dollars are devoted. In Toronto an old established Jewellery house that of J. E. Ellis & Co.
at the comer of King and Yonge Streets, which has for more than half a century been identified with the leading institutions of this kind in the city, and during that period has borne the highest character. They import European novelties, having an agent in London and Paris, who watches the fluctuation of the market, and takes advantage of it for the benefit of the house. The display of diamonds and other precious stones, jewellery, watches, silver and plated ware, clocks, statues, bisque ware, etc., is not excelled in Canada. The firm manufacture all kinds of jewellery in gold and silver, and are large importers of watches, having always in stock a heavy assortment of the best of American and European makes, the product of noted manufacturers, which, as well as all other goods purchased at this establishment, can in all cases be regarded to be as represented, all the goods being made expressly for the firm and bearing their impress. Among their special agencies are the E. Howard Watch and Clock Co., of Boston, and E, Gay Lamailis, of Paris, France, and Gorham Manufacturing Co, of New York. A staff of skilled hands is employed, and repairing of all kinds receives prompt attention. The Messrs. Ellis & Co. are practical men in all departments of their business, giving the same their personal attention, and owners of valuable time-pieces can leave them in their charge, when repairs are needed, with the assurance that the best results will be obtained. This firm hold, by special appointment, the position of Government and railway time-keepers, and in the various departments of their business have a steadily increasing trade.


Source: Illustrated Toronto - The Queen City of Canada - Its Past Present and Future - 1890


Image
James E. Ellis & Co. - Toronto - 1887


J. E. ELLIS & CO.
The firm of Messrs. James E. Ellis & Co., watch manufacturers, jewellers, and silversmiths and importers of silver-plate, electro-plate, &c., is the oldest jewellery establishment in the city ; the business having been carried on in the present place, No. 43 King St., opposite the Globe office, for thirty years, fifteen of which has been under the present proprietors. With each successive year, the appearance of the stand has been improved, and the stock of goods increased- The building is about 25 feet front and runs back a distance of 90 feet. The windows are of handsome plate glass, and the store itself is well lighted from the rear as well as by a large skylight. The fittings of the store are excellent, and everything is so arranged that the valuable stock is shown off to the best advantage. Their stock includes papier-mache goods, and English and French fancy goods. They are the only importers of the Argentine silver-plate, the best substitute for silver known, and they have obtained the reputation in this city of giving articles of superior quality at fair prices. Their stock of Diamond rings, broaches and bracelets, as well as of English and Geneva watches is very great and varied : the rings and chains imported by this firm are fully equal in attractiveness of pattern and purity of metal to any in the Province, and their watches should be seen to be understood, and appreciated. Within the last year the demand for watches has been average, but dealers admit that it is now on the increase, and there is also a perceptible improvement in the class of work sought for. In importing, Messrs. James E. Ellis & Co. have, to judge from their stock, displayed considerable energy and ability, and in conducting their business they have shown a desire, which is appreciated, to meet the wants of the community to the utmost extent. Canadians are now getting tired of the endless stocks of cheap goods which come, year after year, from the United States, and prefer now to deal in the large, varied and well-selected stocks, such as those shown by the firm whose name heads this notice. The firm we should mention do a large trade in clocks, and while the articles they sell are at prices which surprise one, still the quality of the goods is excellent and cannot but command attention. In " presentation" watches, plate, &c., Messrs. J. E. Ellis & Co. are very popular, and daily are receiving from all parts of the Province orders for watches or pieces of plate, tea-sets, breakfast sets, goblets, &c., intended for presentation by friends. Out of the many we can but point to the handsome prizes, gotten up for the Rowing Club last fall, a presentation plate to Mr. Izard, of the Provincial Telegraph Co. Messrs. J. E. & Co.'s stock has to be seen to be appreciated, and no one could do better than to give it personal inspection. Their beautiful and varied stock are looked upon by our citizens with pride and pleasure, as evincing an enterprise, taste and judgment to be found in but few firms in the city.


Source: Toronto as a Market for Western Canada Merchants with Descriptive Notes of the Principal Business Establishments in the City - 1866


The business was established in 1836. In 1885 the partners were noted as James E. Ellis and M.T. Cain.


J. E. Ellis & Co., Toronto, have moved into new and finer quarters next door to their old stand at 1 King St.

Source: The Jewelers' Circular and Horological Review - 23rd September 1891


R. J. Rodgers, with the J. E. Ellis Co., has passed his examination as doctor of optics at the Toronto Ophthalmic College.

Source: The Jewelers' Circular and Horological Review - 16th November 1898


Norman Ellis, of the J. E. Ellis Co., Toronto, left for New York and the eastern jewelry centers on the 7th and expects to place extensive orders for the holiday trade. He will stop at the St. Denis hotel while in New York.

Source: The Jewelers' Circular and Horological Review - 16th November 1898

Trev.

dognose
Site Admin
Posts: 40613
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:53 pm
Location: England

Re: The Canadian Trade, Information, Advertisements, Etc.

Postby dognose » Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:06 am

THE JEWELRY SUPPLY & Mfg. Co.

1377, Rue des Erables, Montreal

Image
The Jewelry Supply & Mfg. Co. - Montreal - 1914

Trev.

dognose
Site Admin
Posts: 40613
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:53 pm
Location: England

Re: The Canadian Trade, Information, Advertisements, Etc.

Postby dognose » Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:57 am

GEORGE CHILLAS

18, Manning Arcade, and, 33, Wellington Street East, Toronto

Image
George Chillas - Toronto - 1890

Geo. Chillas - Importer of watches and diamonds, 53 Wellington Street East. - Among the noteworthy flourishing business establishments in the city may be mentioned that of Mr. George Chillas located at No. 33, Wellington Street East. Mr. Chilias who is a gentleman in middle life, is a native Canadian, an experienced businessman of unquestioned integrity, and commands a large trade. He commenced business in 1878 as a member of the firm of Lee & Chillas, which was dissolved in 1889, and since then he has been conducting business on his own account and enjoying a success as positive as it is pronounced. He a direct importer of watches and diamonds, and carries a large valuable stock of goods, embracing American and Swiss in gold and silver cases, splendid diamonds of all sizes etc. and can offer better inducements to the trade than any business in the country. He also attends to diamond setting, and guarantees all his goods to be as represented. Several travelling men are employed; and, besides a first-class local trade. Mr. Chillas is doing a business which is derived from all parts of Ontario and other Provinces. The store, which is 30 x 50 feet in area, is neatly and tastefully fitted up, and four assistants are always in attendance. He is considered one of the leading representatives of this special business in the city, and is a gentleman of whom the most implicit confidence may be placed.

Source: Illustrated Toronto - The Queen City of Canada - Its Past Present and Future - 1890

Trev.

dognose
Site Admin
Posts: 40613
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:53 pm
Location: England

Re: The Canadian Trade, Information, Advertisements, Etc.

Postby dognose » Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:45 am

JAMES GRANT

Stouffville, CW

Image
James Grant - Stouffville CW - 1866

Trev.


Return to “Contributors' Notes”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests