Stephen Quillett - Manufacturing or Retail Only Silversmith

For information you'd like to share - Post it here - not for questions
dognose
Site Admin

Stephen Quillett - Manufacturing or Retail Only Silversmith

Post by dognose »

STEPHEN QUILLETT

Charing Cross, London

"On Wednesday night between 11 and 12 o'clock, a fire broke out in the house of Mr. Rocque, a draughtsman and printseller, next door to the Rummer tavern Charing Cross, which burn't with great violence, and, in a short time, entirely consumed that house, together with the Rummer, a silversmith's shop, a haberdasher's, and a linen drapers, and did considerable damage to others adjoyning ..." (7th November 1750)

Source: General Advertiser - November 1750

The silversmith's shop mentioned above was no doubt the premises of Stephen Quillet. Queries have been raised in the past as to whether Stephen Quillet was a retail only silversmith, or maybe also that of a manufacturer, and thus possibly an entrant in the missing registers of Goldsmiths' Hall. (See: http://www.925-1000.com/forum/viewtopic ... 59&t=17444)

Some clues that may help answer the question are perhaps to be found in a auction catalogue issued for the sale of Stephen Quillet's salvaged stock when it came up for auction on the 7th, 8th, and 9th February 1751:

A catalogue of the genuine stock in trade of Mr. Stephen Quillet, jeweller and goldsmith: Lately burnt out at the Fire at Charing-Cross, and now retired from Business; Consisting of Plate, Jewels, Watches, Gold and Silver Coins, and Medals, Curiosities in Gold and Silver, &c. At which Time will likewise be sold. (by Order of the late Mr. Cock's Executor) Seven Aigrettes for the Hair, set with Brilliants, Rubies, Emeralds, &c. and other Effects. Which will be sold by Auction, By Mr. Langford, On Thursday, the 7th of February 1750-1, and the two following Days. At the Great Room over Exeter-Exchange in the Strand.

There are several items whose description seems a little unlikely for retail sales, such as Lot 21: Five pair of agate handled knives and forks, and Lot 25: Seven curious wrought tops for snuff boxes, and Lot 46: A parcel of odd silver. The are many other lots where the quantities, especially, are surprising. There may of course be very plausible explanation for the odd lots, the stock that was sold at auction was likely to be that which was hurriedly taken away as the fire became perilously close, and perhaps items were lost during the evacuation.

There is another further clue that perhaps may indicate a manufacturing facility:

Stephen Quillet, a Goldsmith and Jeweller, took out £400 worth of insurance on wrought and manufactured plate in this Dwelling House, on the east side of Charing Cross in 1743. Records of the Sun Insurance Company 11936, Vol. 67, p.644

Source: Proceedings of the Huguenot Society of Great Britain and Ireland - Vol. 25 - 1997

The thoughts of others appreciated.

Trev.
buckler

Re: Stephen Quillett - Manufacturing or Retail Only Silversm

Post by buckler »

Very many thanks to Trevor for this very interesting listing.

It appears that most of the stock which is indicative of manufacture is that of a jeweller, rather than a silversmith. The only problem with this conclusion is that in a fire one tends to rescue the smaller articles of the greatest value. Rescuing a silversmiths anvil and bellows not really an option !
dognose
Site Admin

Re: Stephen Quillett - Manufacturing or Retail Only Silversm

Post by dognose »

Another small clue perhaps. An Old Bailey trial reveals Stephen Quillet was a buyer of scrap silver:

John Holbrook, of St. Martin's in the Field's was indicted for stealing a cover of a silver tankard, value 39 s. the goods of Mary Stanhope , Dec. 22 1743:

Mary Stanhope: I keep an eating-house at the Swan in New-street Covent-Garden , the Prisoner was my servant , I lost the lid of a silver tankard, but I did not miss it till Mr. Quillet at the Ring and Pearl at Charing-cross, sent for me on Thursday, December 22. The Prisoner said he took it out of the bar, and I found it at Mr. Quillet's. I used the Prisoner very well he had no occasion to serve me so.

Stephen Quillet: December 22, the Prisoner came to my shop and asked me whether I would buy the lid of a tankard, I told him I could not tell, till I had seen it; he showed it me and said, it was his aunt's. I bid him fetch her, he said he would go and fetch her, he came back in about 5 minutes, and said his aunt would not come back with him; I told him I would not buy it without his aunt was present and bid him fetch her, he was gone the second time about six or seven minutes; when he returned, he said his aunt would not come back, but said there was a friend of his that would give him a character. I said I would send for his aunt, I called a porter and sent him to the Bear and Ragged-staff in St. Martin's lane, but she would not come; he sent me to one Mr. Gardner who lives in our neighbourhood, he said his aunt kept a publick house, and he said, that he believed him to be a very honest lad; when he came back again I believe he thought I was going to buy it of him, for he said it was very good of you to enquire into people's characters before you buy things; but said I, this does not satisfy me, I must go to your aunt and know from her own mouth whether it is her's or no. I enquired where his aunt lived, and he said she lived at the White Swan in Long-Acre, but she did not live there, so I secured him, but he would not tell me where he lived till he was in custody, and then he said he lived with Mrs. Stanhope; I sent to her, she came and brought the other part of the tankard with her and owned it - it weighs 7 ounces and an half.

Prisoner: Was that lid of the tankard ever out of your liberty since you had it?

Quillet: It never was out of my custody.

Guilty.

Source: Old Bailey Proceedings: Accounts of Criminal Trials - 13th January 1744

Quillet's address is not without note: 'the Ring and Pearl'.

Trev.

Return to “Contributors' Notes”