For information you'd like to share - Post it here - not for questions
dognose
Site Admin

Reminiscences of a Silver Flatware Superintendent

Post by dognose »

REMINISCENCES OF A SILVER FLATWARE SUPERINTENDENT

EARLY EXPERIENCES IN LEARNING TO MAKE SPOONS, KNIVES, AND FORKS

BY C. W. COOKE

My first lesson in spoon and fork making was when I was ten years of age, with the Chas. Parker Company, Yalesville, Conn., which is my home today, I started to work in the factory mornings and nights for about two years, attending school from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. My hours at the factory were from 7 a.m. to 8:45 a.m., when I hurried home and got ready for school at 9 o'clock, and after school closed at 4 o'clock I went to the factory and worked until 5:30, also many times after supper until 9 o’clock. In addition to my school and working hours I, with my older brother slept in the shop, getting up at 5 o‘clock in the morning to sweep out the factory, build fires and oil shaft bearings, etc. My father had the contract for a number of years for watching or staying at the factory and getting ready to begin work at 7 o’clock in the morning. My father always went down with brother and me when we went to bed at night, and went around the factory to see that everything was all right. When about twelve years of age I left school and started in working all day.

My superintendent, Mr. Orrin Jeralds, was a grand old man, and one of the pioneers in the manufacture of German silver spoons. He was a fine mechanic, and whenever I could I followed him around to find out what he was doing and why he did it. When he saw that I took such interest he took great pains to show me all he could, and generally called on me when he wanted help about hardening dies, rolls, etc. Mr. Jeralds then had the contract with the Chas. Parker Company to make, trim and finish all the German silver flatware they manufactured. I never asked Mr. Jeralds for a raise of pay, but the few years I was employed by him he advanced my wages every few months. I tried and believe I did earn for him all he paid me. Mr. Chas. Parker came down to the Yalesville factory every week–sometimes more often. He was a fine old gentleman. We used to call him “Uncle Charles.” He always had a kind word for every man and boy he knew. Many things he said to me I shall never forget and I am sure his advice has been beneficial to me in many Sometimes Mr. Parker would say to me: sure you are right, and then go ahead,” and again. "Keep your tools sharp", and sometimes it would be "Always keep you machine well oiled".

Mr. Parker was a gentleman of the old school, and many others of the same stamp as himself were such as Samuel Simpson, I.C. Lewis, Horace Wilcox, Robert Wallace, and G.I. Mix. Many others could be mentioned who built up by their own efforts and sterling honesty such foundations in their individual business which their successors may well be proud of. After leaving the Charles Parker Company I went with my former superintendent, Mr. Orrin Jeralds, to the Derby Silver Company, Shelton, Conn. After Mr. Jeralds gave up his position with that company I stayed with them for about two years as foreman of the making department. After leaving the Derby Silver Company my next position was with the Rogers & Brittin Silver Company of Bridgeport. The Rogers & Brittin Company soon sold out to Col. Holmes of New York and Mr. George C. Edwards. These gentlemen began the manufacture of German silver flatware under the name of the Holmes & Edwards Silver Company.

Under the management of these gentlemen the growth was very rapid–in fact, astonishing to the trade–and the older concerns soon began to realize that there was something doing in Bridgeport which required new energy and hustle to keep pace with the new concern in the manufacture of flatware. The writer, while with the Holmes & Edwards Silver Company, saw the business grow from a beginning of ten gross a day to 150 gross per day of spoons, forks and knives, all finished ready to market. Col. Holmes died some years since. God bless his memory; a better man never lived. Since then Mr. Edwards has been the head of this company, and brought about its wonderful growth, together with its power and influence in the silverware business of this country. Leaving the Holmes & Edwards Company, I accepted a position with Mr. Geo. M. Hallenbeck, of Wallingford, Conn., taking the contract to make. trim and finish German silver flatware for one year. Mr. Hallenbeck’s business was of rapid growth from the beginning. We manufactured German silver flatware in what was known as the Hall, Elton factory, in Wallingford. After my contract with Mr. Hallenbeck expired I returned to Bridgeport under a five-year contract with the Holmes, Edwards Company, with whom I had previously been connected so many years. Coming again to Wallingford in 1893, I engaged myself with Mr. Hallenbeck, who had continued business in the old Hall, Elton plant. On my return with Mr. Hallenbeck we still continued making goods in the old Hall, Elton factory, until the property was sold. Mr. Hallenbeck at that time was well and honorably known to the trade, and had built up a good business. After closing the old Hall, Elton plant, Mr. Hallenbeck bought out the Wallingford Wheel Company plant in Wallingford, fitting this up for the manufacture of flatware. Mr. Hallenbeck for a time individually continued the business he had established.

Then the Simeon, S. L. & George H. Rogers Company was formed, with Mr. Hallenbeck’s factory in W allingford and a factory in Hartford, Conn., as the manufacturing and finishing plants of the company. Under the management and personal direction of Mr. Hallenbeck this company has grown to a strong and solid company in the silverware business. Mr. Hallenbeck is the president and general manager of the company. The business is fast outgrowing its present factory capacity. The writer, from the time he first started with the Chas. Parker Company until now, has personally become familiar with every operation in the making, trimming and finishing of spoons. forks. knives, etc., and if my energy, ambition and honesty of purpose have been a factor in the upbuilding and success of the companies with whom I have been connected, I am heartily glad. The labor, though ever wearing on mind and body, in the years that have gone, has been a pleasure to me, and it is a great satisfaction to know I have been a spoke in the wheel of progress in the manufacture of silverware.

Source: The Metal Industry - December 1910

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Re: Reminiscences of a Silver Flatware Superintendent

Post by dognose »

C. W. COOK

C. W. Cook, who has favored 'The Metal Industry' from time to time with articles on the manufacture of knives, forks and spoons, was born in Westfield, Conn., and his early education was obtained in Prospect, Conn., where he lived until he was nine years old. Two years later, or when he was eleven years old, he went with his parents to Yalesville, Conn., and began his first experience in the flatware manufacture at the Charles Parker Company plant.

Mr. Cook's days at that time appear to have been twenty-four hours long, for, in addition to his attending school and working at his house, he worked at the factory, not only in the daytime, but also at night, when he and his brother acted as watchmen for the plant. At the end of three years of this twenty-four-hour schedule he had stopped going to school and put in full time at the factory. Under the able management of his superintendent he became efficient in the mechanical part of the business in all its details, together with ability to make and use all the tools used in the manufacture of flatware. Mr. Cook's experience in the silver manufacturing business has been confined to comparatively few concerns when one considers that he has been connected with the industry for forty-six years, and the circle of his activities has been confined to the state of Connecticut, as we find him first at Yalesville, then in Derby, from there to Bridgeport and then to Wallingford, back to Bridgeport and back again to Wallingford, where he is at the present time as general superintendent of the Simeon S. and George H. Rogers Company, of Hartford and Wallingford, Conn., in the manufacture of flatware both in plated and nickel goods.

Source: The Metal Industry - January 1916

Trev.

Return to “Contributors' Notes”