Details of an Affidavit by Charles Frederick Hancock

For information you'd like to share - Post it here - not for questions
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

In 1839 a charge of Lunacy was brought against one David Ochterlony Dyce Sombre in the Court of Chancery. Although the details of the case are not of interest to us here, an affidavit by Charles Frederick Hancock contained within the text of the case is not without interest, for it gives a small insight into his travels representing the firm of Storr and Mortimer:

Affidavit of Charles Frederick Hancock of Mornington-Road, Regent's-Park, and one of the partners of the House of Storr and Mortimer, of 156, New-Bond-street, London, Goldsmiths and Silversmiths to Her Majesty the Queen.

Sworn before Mr. S. Anderson, at the Chancery Affidavit Office, in Southampton Buildings, in the County of Middlesex, Dec. 15th, 1848.

I, Charles Frederick Hancock, of no. 39, Mornington-Road, Regent's-Park, and one of the partners of the House of Storr and Mortimer, of 156, New-Bond-street, London, Goldsmiths and Silversmiths to Her Majesty the Queen, do make Oath and Say, that I first became acquainted with the said David Ochterlony Dyce Sombre, in the, year 1840, in my capacity of jeweller and silversmith; and that the first order of dealings between the said David Ochterlony Dyce Sombre and myself, was an order for various wedding presents previous to the marriage of the said David Ochterlony Dyce Sombre with the daughter of Viscount St. Vincent, and that I have heard and believe that a statute of Lunacy was taken out against the said David Ochterlony Dyce Sombre in the year 1843, which induced him to leave this country. And I further say that I again met the said David Ochterlony Dyce Sombre at Saint-Petersburg in the year 1843, at or about which period I had several fresh dealings and transactions with him, connected with my business, in all of which I was unable to detect any act of his, which could create in my mind the remotest suspicion of insanity or weakness of intellect of the said David Ochterlony Dyce Sombre. And I further say that the next meeting between him and me took place in August 1845, at Baden-Baden, the circumstances of which more fully convinced me of the clearness of his intellect and capacity with respect to all business-transactions; and have again seen him at Brussels at the end of that year; and that my next interview with the said David Ochterlony Dyce Sombre was at Mivart's Hotel, in Brook-street, London, in November last, when he made several trifling purchases at our establishment, and also gave several further orders which afforded me frequent and almost daily interviews with him up to the present time; during all of which I anxiously watched and carefully observed every act of the said David Ochterlony Dyce Sombre, when in the act of accepting more important orders which the said David Ochterlony Dyce Sombre spoke of giving, and which I would not have accepted or executed had I entertained the slightest grounds of suspicion of his unsoundness of mind and of his incapacity to conduct or manage himself or his pecuniary affairs with discretion and judgment. And I further say that I am the travelling partner of the house aforesaid, and in that capacity I have visited different countries in Europe, also Turkey and Egypt, in all which I have had mercantile transactions with the people of those countries, and from my various opportunities of observing their manners and customs I have never detected in the said David Ochterlony Dyce Sombre any peculiarities different from those of the inhabitants of the several countries referred to. And I lastly say that judging from my entire knowledge of and acquaintance with the said David Ochterlony Dyce Sombre in matters of business, I am firmly convinced that he is fully capable of managing himself and his affairs.

(Signed)

"C. F. Hancock."

Source: Mr. Dyce Sombre's Refutation of the Charge of Lunacy Brought Against Him in the Court of Chancery - David Ochterlony Dyce Sombre - 1849

Trev.

Return to “Contributors' Notes”