Hiram Howard was born in Woodstock, Conn., November 26th, 1834. He was educated in the district schools of his native town, and in the academies of Eastford, Ashford and South Woodstock, Conn., and Webster, Mass., and when 18 years of age he came to Providence and obtained employment with the firm of Moulton & Rodman as bookkeeper. His desires being more metropolitan than could be gratified in his adopted city, he went to New York and engaged with T. B. Bynner, a jobbing jeweler, remaining in his employ until 1858, when he was admitted to a partnership, the name of the firm being changed to T. B. Bynner & Co. He remained a member of the concern until 1861, and then enlisted in the Second Regiment Artillery, New York Volunteers, and was honorably discharged after three years' service. He again engaged with T. B. Bynner in 1864 as traveler, was soon admitted into the firm, and remained a partner until 1874. From March 1st of that year until January, 1875, he was with the firm of A. L. Kotzow & Co., selling their product of solid gold chains. He then formed a partnership with Mr. Nicoud, under the firm name of Nicoud & Howard, importers of watches, which relations lasted until 1880. But during the meantime, in the year 1878, Mr. Howard commenced at Providence, in a small way, the manufacturing jewelry business, under the firm name of H. Howard & Co., making a line of sets, which during those days were so popular with the trade. Thus when he relinquished his partnership with Mr. Nicoud, he had a business started which required his undivided attention, It had always been the desire of Mr. Howard to be at the fountain head, for as long ago as he had relations with Mr. Bynner, he worked persistently to get the consent of his partner to enter the manufacturing business, wishing to offer to their customers goods of their own designs and make, rather than depend upon the skill of others to produce the articles they could handle. In 1884 his son, Stephen C. Howard, was admitted a partner in the business, and the firm name adopted was Howard & Son, remaining the same ever since. Mr. Howard has been connected with manufacturing about twelve years, starting small, and doing a safe, steady and wonderfully increasing business. In the fall of 1885 the firm conceived the idea of adding a separate branch to their line of production, and The Sterling Company was formed, which since the start has been a ready means of increasing their sales and bringing the concern into the acquaintance of a new line of customers separate entirely from those purchasing the American lever cuff and collar buttons. When Mr. Howard started in the manufacturing business he stated that his ambition was to be at the head of an establishment where 150 hands were employed. This wish has been more than realized, for during the last year the firm have had in busy times upon their payroll, exclusive of their office force and salesmen, 180 operatives. Mr. Howard was married April 18th, 1854, to Miss Mary Kenyon, a native of Providence, and the daughter of the late Stephen C. Kenyon. His son Stephen is the only child they had. Mr. Howard has been connected with the Manufacturing Jewelers' Board of Trade since its organization, and has been a member of its board of directors. Mr. Howard is a member of Eureka Lodge, No. 243, F. & A. M., of New York city, also of the Reform Club of the same city.
Source: History of Providence County, Rhode Island - Richard Mather Bayles - 1891