dognose
Site Admin

Re: The Mesh Bag and Bag Frame Industry

Post by dognose »

SANDERSON MANUFACTURING Co.

Temple and Public Streets, Providence, Rhode Island

Sanderson Manufacturing Co. - Providence, R.I. - 1921

Sanderson Manufacturing Co. - Providence, R.I. - 1922

Sidney J. Straker, who recently severed his associations with the Sanderson Mfg. Co. manufacturer of mesh bags, at Pawtucket, is now associated with the S.A. Rosene Co., North Attleboro, having taking an interest therein.

Source: The Jewelers' Circular - 27th October 1915

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

MAX HOLL

Palma de Mallorca

Max Holl - Palma de Mallorca - 1922

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

THOMAS A. WEISS

47-49, Maiden Lane, New York

Thomas A. Weiss - New York - 1911

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

BRESLAVSKY BROS.

51-53, Maiden Lane, New York

Breslavsky Bros. - New York - 1912

Breslavsky Bros. - New York - 1915

Breslavsky Bros. - New York - 1915

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

RELIABLE PLATING Co.

41-43, Maiden Lane, New York

Reliable Plating Co.. - New York - 1915

The business of Samuel Levy.

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

AUTOMATIC MESH Co.

Providence, Rhode Island

Whiting & Davis - Plainville, Mass. - 1922

The Whiting & Davis Co., Plainville, Mass., has purchased the entire plant, business and good-will of the Automatic Meshbag Co., Providence, R.I. The taking over of the Automatic Meshbag Co. is of more than usual interest to the trade, as it marks another step in the policy of the Whiting & Davis Co. toward the standardization of both manufacturing and selling practices in the industry; and toward the eventual elimination of conditions detrimental to the best interests of all concerned.

Source: The Jewelers' Circular - 4th October 1922

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

H. MEYERHEIM & SOHN

Leipziger Strasse 33, and Adalbert Strasse 40, Berlin

H. Meyerheim - Berlin - 1902

H. Meyerheim - Berlin - 1903

H. Meyerheim - Berlin - 1904

Established in 1868.

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

MILLER & RICK

43, John Street, New York

Miller & Rick - New York - 1922

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

A.A. LUPIEN

24, Broad Street, later, Slater Avenue, Pawtucket, Rhode Island, later, 4, Bagley Street, Attleboro, Massachusetts

A.A. Lupien - Pawtucket, R.I. - 1912

A.A. Lupien - Pawtucket, R.I. - 1913

A.A. Lupien - Attleboro, Mass. - 1917

Trev.
Aguest
contributor

Post by Aguest »

When the company "Carter & Howe" became "Carter & Gough" in 1915 (which lasted until 1922), I believe I have found their hallmark for 14k gold in which the "ARROW + C" hallmark has been replaced with an "ARROW + G" hallmark, a very subtle difference, but I believe it is there:

Aguest
contributor

Post by Aguest »

Carter, Howe & Co. / Carter, Gough & Co.

Newark, NJ

Originally began business as Pennington, Carter & Doaremus in 1841, and after numerous partnership and name changes the company Carter, Howe & Co. was formed in 1902. A final change occurred in 1915 becoming Carter, Gough & Co. The firm closed in 1922. Primarily manufacturing jewelers, both companies used the mark shown.

I have noticed a few 14k Gold Mesh Bags made by both Howe & Co and the short-lived Gough & Co...

The much-more-frequently-seen hallmark of Carter, Howe & Co is the "ARROW + C" in honor of Carter, I would assume:

Aguest
contributor

Post by Aguest »

A closer look at the "ARROW + G" hallmark in honor of Gough, I would assume:

Aguest
contributor

Post by Aguest »

Research into Carter & Howe and Carter & Gough has continued, and it is quite interesting:

Aaron Carter Jr. was the driving force behind this company, the first to use a steam engine, and the largest jewelry company in the world for a time....

1) Pennington, Carter & Doaremus founded in 1841.
2) Carter runs the company alone for a few years after the original partners accept other offers from other companies.
3) Carter gets new partners and becomes "Carter, Hawkings & Dodd".
4) Carter gets new partners and becomes "Carter, Sloane & Company".
5) Carter gets new partners and becomes "Carter, Hastings & Howe" and this is the company we refer to as "Carter & Howe".
6) Carter gets new partners and becomes "Carter, Gough & Company" in 1915.

The available literature claims that "Carter, Gough & Company" closed in 1922, however, I have discovered evidence that it survived until 1925:

In the newspaper "The Jeweler's Circular," on January 23rd 1923, a meeting of the leading regional jewelry companies was held, and the president and the two vice presidents failed to appear, so in their absence William T. Gough was appointed "Pro Temp" on a temporary basis to fill the position of president. The article states that William T. Gough presently heads the company of "Carter, Gough & Company." So, in early 1923, it appears that the company is still in business. Not only is the company still in business, but the article goes on to state that William T. Gough was elected to serve as a representative of this board of regional jewelry companies for the entirety of the year 1923. It seems to me that Gough was still in good health, and his business was still running strong, otherwise why would he have been appointed as a representative of this board of regional jewelry companies for the entirety of the year 1923? I believe he was held in very high esteem by the community of Jewelers, as he approached his 75th year on Earth, he was still very active in his company and his regional community of jewelers.

However, in January of 1925, we have the passing of William T. Gough:

It would seem to me that this passing was quite sudden, since William T. Gough was elected to serve as a representative of the aforementioned board for the entirety of the year 1923. At the time of his passing in early 1925, there must have been a substantial inventory of jewelry still waiting to be shipped out, and some pieces which were under contract for completion. After all, this was the largest jewelry factory in the world, so there must have been pieces which had not yet been hallmarked. I believe the "ARROW + G" hallmark which I found was in honor of William T. Gough, who had just passed away, or perhaps his passing was imminent in late 1924. I believe the "ARROW + G" hallmark was purposefully created to resemble a "G", and it is not just a slightly misshapen letter "C," but I suppose you could argue the latter. That is a possibility, but I truly think the item in question was made in 1924 or 1925, due to its Art-Deco styling which has absolutely nothing to do with the Art-Nouveau styled purses of 1890-1920. This particular purse seems firmly rooted in the 1920s, and this is the first example of the type I have ever seen. Of course, they had many different purse designs, so it is not surprising to find a particular purse form which has not yet been documented. However, due to the "ARROW + G" hallmark, which has never been documented, at least not to my knowledge, I believe this piece was made in 1924 or 1925, in honor of William T. Gough.

Aguest
contributor

Post by Aguest »

Aaron Carter Jr. died in 1902, having been recognized as being the leading force in establishing Newark New Jersey as a leading Jewelry Manufacturer.

The company kept the name "Carter" probably because he was the leading name in all of New Jersey, and had a legion of fans and admirers.

It was noted in 1902 that Carter had paid every single one of his debts, and had outlasted hundreds of competitors.

When Gough died in 1925, I believe the company knew it was closing, as there was no potential successor to Gough.

I am still looking for any surviving papers on the liquidation of "Carter & Gough" to prove that it closed in 1925 and not 1922 as stated in the literature.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

THE MARVEL ELECTRO PLATING & STAMPING WORKS Inc.

Marvel Building, 109, East 116th Street, New York

The Marvel Electro Plating & Stamping Works, Inc.. has located in the Marvel building, 109 East 116th St., New York City. Thomas S. Stretch, the superintendent of the plating department, advises that they are especially equipped to handle jewelry plating, such as mesh bags, etc.

The floor space is 5,000 square feet. Departments operated are plating, polishing, buffing, lacquering, burnishing and stamping. The equipment is up-to-date and they have just installed four new tumbling barrels and a new dynamo.

Mr. Stretch started as an apprentice in the plating department of Bradley & Hubbard Company, Meriden, Conn., and has followed the same business for a period of forty years. He is a popular member of the New York branch of the American Electro Platers' Society.

I. N. Seldes is treasurer of the company.

Source: The Metal Industry - April 1921

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

HOLBROOK Mfg. Co.

Attleboro, Massachusetts

The Holbrook Mfg. Co., of Attleboro, Mass., have commenced the manufacture of silver plated mesh bags.

Source: The Brass World and Platers' Guide - October 1910

Founded by Harry R. Holbrook and Charles L. Holbrook.

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

PAUL ETTLINGER

4, Holborn Circus, later, 176, Regent Street, London

DARING BURGLARY

JEWELLERS' SAFE OPENED

VALUABLE GOODS REMOVED

London, April 1. Burglars entered, through a skylight, a shop adjoining Messrs. Ettlinger, jewellers, in Regent-street. They then cut huge holes in three walls into the jewellery establishment, apparently intending to remove a safe, but finally prized it open, and stole £13,000 worth of jewellery.

April 2. The thieves, who bored into the jewellery establishment from the premises of a firm of artistic fabric dealers, took a quantity of dress materials and cushions with which to deaden the sound of their tools. The robbers abandoned several electric motors, which had formed part of their automatic electric drilling outfit.

Source: The Sydney Morning Herald - 3rd April 1912

Paul Ettlinger was an importer of gold and silver mesh bags and purses, jewellery etc.

An example of a 9ct mesh purse imported by Paul Ettlinger, weighing just over 60 grams, the dimensions are 10.5 x 6.9 cm not including the suspension chain. It was assayed at the London Assay Office in 1913:

Paul Ettlinger entered his marks 'PE' contained within an oblong punch, with the London Assay Office on the 15th March 1900, and on the 30th April 1904.

Paul Ettlinger is doubtlessly to identified with Joseph Ettlinger, who entered a mark with the Chester Assay Office from the 176, Regent Street address, and also used the services of the London Assay Office as 'Triefus & Ettlinger'.

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

JENNINGS SILVER Co.

Irvington, New Jersey

The Jennings Silver Co. of Irvington, N. J., has been reorganized and the following officers elected: President. Cyril Johnson of Stafford Springs. Conn.; vice-president. Henry Schuerin; secretary, treasurer, and general manager, Silas Schuerin. About 40 hands are now employed. Silver mesh hags will shortly be a new product of the company.

Source: The Brass World and Platers' Guide - November 1909

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

ACCURATE RHINESTONE NOVELTY WORKS

106-112, Spring Street, New York

Accurate Rhinestone Novelty Works - New York - 1915

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin