HENRY POTTER, later, HENRY POTTER & Co.27, Marsham Street, Westminster, later, 2, Bridge Street, Westminster, 30, Charing Cross, later, 36-38, West Street, Charing Cross Road, London
Henry Potter & Co. - London - 1877
Established in 1810/1811.
The business of Henry Potter was established by Samuel Potter, but as a serving officer in the British army, Samuel was not allowed form a company, so instead he founded his business in the name of his newly-born son, Henry. Samuel left the army in 1817 to pursue his business full time and ran it until his death in around 1830, the firm then passed to Henry, and then to Henry's sons, Harry and William. A third son, George, operated a branch of the business at Aldershot, initially under the name of Henry Potter, but separating himself from the parent firm in the 1850's.
Henry Potter & Co. were noted as the suppliers of the Sterling silver kettle drums used by the Royal Horse Guards.
The company is still in business today, now styled Henry Potter & Co.(Drums) Ltd., and based at Aldershot.
The company entered two marks with the London Assay Office, 'H.P' contained within an oblong punch, on the 25th April 1860, and 'H.P' contained within a six-pointed punch, on the 24th October 1907.