Please help identify

Item must be marked "Sterling" or "925"
PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
ohev

Please help identify

Post by ohev »

This is a very unusual piece. Not very practical. Can you please assist me with identifying who made it? Thank you. Joel

http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47a1cf1 ... /ry%3D480/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"

http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47a1cf1 ... /ry%3D480/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"
silverly

Re: Please help identify

Post by silverly »

I believe your item was made by John L Westervelt who was a Newburgh, New York gold and silversmith and was in business from the 1840's up to at least the end of the 1880's.
silverly

Post by silverly »

Correction, John L Westervelt was listed as a gold and silversmith in Newburgh, New York business directories at least through 1901.
ohev

Post by ohev »

I looked at the hallmark on this website and it does not look like Westervelt.Granted the initials are the same. It might have been a experimental piece. Certainly one of a kind. Thx for the responses.
silverly

Post by silverly »

Westervelt's mark changed over the years. I am confident that he stands a very good chance of being your maker. It looks like your ladle has been mistreated somewhere along the way. If it were my own, I'd have to try to do something about that. What size is it?
ohev

Post by ohev »

I'd say it is about 9-10 inches long. It needs to be cleaned, but I think the shape might have meant to be this way. Would you like me to post more pictures?
silverly

Post by silverly »

Thanks for the reply. Yes, when it's convenient more images might be interesting.
ohev

Post by ohev »

Here are some more pictures. It could be someone hammered an existing piece into another shape. I do not think so. It is unusual. What do you think?
ohev

Post by ohev »

The pictures:
http://share.shutterfly.com/share/recei ... nLhw3cs3Uw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
silverly

Post by silverly »

Nice image. Sadly, I cannot answer your question. I've never seen a ladle with a handle shaped like yours.

Return to “Arts & Crafts Smiths ~ American Handwrought after-1900”