Hannah T. Geissbuhler Nut Spoon

Item must be marked "Sterling" or "925"
PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Aguest
contributor

Hannah T. Geissbuhler Nut Spoon

Post by Aguest »

Is this spoon by "Hannah T. Geissbuhler" who was a Cleveland silversmith?

I will have to upload the spoon pics later when Tinypi isn't making me solve an infinite number of puzzles to prove I am not a robot.

The nut spoon is very arts-and-crafty with a slight modernist flair, and all it says is "STERLING" and "GEISSBUHLER" so I am not sure if this is Hannah T.

Also, my research uncovered a patent application for a fluorescent light coating:

"Patented Oct. 13, 1942 FLUORESCENT COATING AND METHOD OF MANUFACTURE Willard A. Roberts, Cleveland, and Hannah T. Geissbuhler, East Cleveland, Ohio, assignors to General Electric Com New York I pany, a corporation of No Drawing. Application March 14, 1940, Serial No. 323,982."
silverly

Re: Hannah T. Geissbuhler Nut Spoon

Post by silverly »

I think you must have the right person. Hannah Eleanor Terwilliger was born in Texas in 1914 and was a chemist. She married John Otto Geissbuhler a mechanical engineer in 1937. The Cleveland Museum of Art, Ingalls Library has Cleveland Museum of Art May Show entries for Hannah T Geissbuhler for 1946,1947, 1948,1949, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1954,1955 and 1956. She died in Franklin, Ohio in 2001.
Aguest
contributor

Post by Aguest »

Thank you for the verification, just based on the art exhibition listings and other records, one would assume that Hannah Terwilliger Geissbuhler had an output of hundreds of pieces and she seems like an extremely talented artist/scientist/engineer, I hope to see more of her oeuvre, especially those salt and pepper shakers which won a second place award :::

Glad to know more about Hannah Terwilliger Geissbuhler, this nut spoon is quite well-made and it reminds me of the Gothic Revival Style, really more "Arts & Crafts" than "Modernist", but I suppose both categories are applicable :::
silverly

Post by silverly »

Aguest wrote:... one would assume that Hannah Terwilliger Geissbuhler had an output of hundreds of pieces and she seems like an extremely talented artist/scientist/engineer, I hope to see more of her oeuvre, especially those salt and pepper shakers which won a second place award :::
Most of the items on her lists were for sale and some, I'm sure within reason, were in unlimited quantities. She had a number of second and third prizes and honorable mentions. Anyway for the information, you are welcome.
mgeiss

Post by mgeiss »

I am Hannah's daughter-in-law and am happy to find this post. She was quite proud of her silversmithing but am not sure she knew how widely her work was known.
mgeiss

Post by mgeiss »

PS I'm not sure about the "unlimited quantities" referenced above. Her silversmithing was a hobby. We have a few of her pieces, and others have been passed down through generations of family.
Aguest
contributor

Post by Aguest »

Thank you for responding, this really means a lot to me, yes I did not think she would have been a very prolific silversmith especially given the intensity of her scientific career which undoubtedly took much of her time and energy....

Would love to see any pictures of her work, this was an interesting find indeed!
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi mgeiss,

Welcome to the Forum.

As Aguest has already stated, it would be great to see images of her work and the marks.

Trev.

Return to “Arts & Crafts Smiths ~ American Handwrought after-1900”