The Wallace Collection--London

Post an announcement here if you know of a permanent collection that is worth a visit.
dognose
Site Admin

The Wallace Collection--London

Post by dognose »

The Wallace Collection,
Hertford House,
Manchester Square,
London.
W1U 3BN

Several diverse groups of decorative art objects are included within this area of the Collection. They include gold boxes and goldsmiths’ work, silver and jewellery

Most of the gold boxes in the Wallace Collection were made in Paris during the eighteenth century and most were used to contain snuff. Of exquisite workmanship, they share the elaborate richness of the larger-scale French eighteenth-century art in the Collection, but on an intimate and jewel-like scale.

Free Admission including temporary exhibitions. Open daily from 10am - 5pm.
The Wallace Collection is open to the public on Public Holidays except 24-26 December.

http://www.wallacecollection.org/index.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
dognose
Site Admin

Re: The Wallace Collection--London

Post by dognose »

Yesterday I was fortunate enough to visit the Wallace Collection. The collection was assembled by five generations of the same family, four Marquesses of Hertford and Sir Richard Wallace. The collection is diverse and includes arms and armour, porcelain, china, glass, paintings, clocks, furniture, and of course, silver.

The star of the show, to me, was the wonderful Augsburg silver gilt toilet service, made by Johann Hagemair (1717-1784), Johann Philipp Heckenauer (1705-1793), Johann Martin I Satzger (c. 1707-1785), Gottlieb Satzger (c. 1709-1783), Jakob Wilhelm Kolb (c. 1743-1782), Christian II Drentwett (1729-1801), Abraham IV Warnberger (1716-1793), Johann Jakob Weitbrett (c. 1736-1790), and Johan Jakob Winkler, during the period 1767-1773. The fifty-five piece service provides for every morning requirement including the partaking of breakfast.

© The Wallace Collection http://wallacelive.wallacecollection.or ... &sp=T&sp=6

A visit to the Wallace Collection is highly recommended, the whole visitor experience is first-class, it will not disappoint.

Trev.

Return to “Museum Exhibitions - Silver - Permanent”