Hi Can you help me ID the maker and age of this beautiful egg please,

Best Wishes
Vickie
AG2012
contributor

Re: Help with Russian Enamel Egg

Post by AG2012 »

Hi,
Unfortunately, the egg is a modern fake.
Regards
wiggy131

Post by wiggy131 »

Oh no, how can you tell? Is anyone else got the same opinion?
Regards
Vickie
Goldstein
contributor

Post by Goldstein »

Hi wiggy (Vicky) -

I can understand your disappointment very well. Nevertheless, a reproach is appropriate: things that one do not know/understand should be avoided!
Better would be to ask first and buy later!
Russian enamel work has been faked for years in China and India in various quality grades. Since we do not want to talk about a "fake recognition" in this forum, I say only so much: consider the glossy enamel (after more than 120 years!) and the primitive punches in the wrong places.
Here are some examples of how original objects are stamped:

Regards
Goldstein
Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

Yes, it is a fake. Actually just one look is needed to note it. As Goldstein mentioned we do not discuss here why it is a fake, but that much can be said that faker usually do care to investigate what marks should be used, when they are used and where to punch them. Not to mention what they should look like.
If you have bought the egg recently, return it and claim refunding.
Goldstein
contributor

Post by Goldstein »

Hi -
Qrt.S wrote: As Goldstein mentioned we do not discuss here why it is a fake, but that much can be said that faker usually do care to investigate what marks should be used, when they are used and where to punch them. Not to mention what they should look like.
The contrary is here the case. The fake marks are wrong and without sense.
Maker ДО (DO) is Dimitri I. Osipov 1894-1903 (1884-1912) from St. Petersburg - he never worked in enamel.
Townmark St. Petersburg though Moscow was the main enamel making spot in Russia.

Regards
Goldstein
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

ОСИПОВ ДМИТРИЙ ИВАНОВИЧ
Made orders,badges and jettons.
Have a nice weekend

Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

Goldstein wrote:Hi -
Qrt.S wrote: As Goldstein mentioned we do not discuss here why it is a fake, but that much can be said that faker usually do care to investigate what marks should be used, when they are used and where to punch them. Not to mention what they should look like.
The contrary is here the case. The fake marks are wrong and without sense.
Maker ДО (DO) is Dimitri I. Osipov 1894-1903 (1884-1912) from St. Petersburg - he never worked in enamel.
Townmark St. Petersburg though Moscow was the main enamel making spot in Russia.

Regards
Goldstein
Goldstein you are absolutely right this time. It took a while before I realize what had gone wrong in my answer but then I saw it: The text in red was meant to read "...faker usually do NOT care..." My typo. I apologize for that.
wiggy131

Post by wiggy131 »

Thank you so much guys for all your help regarding the egg. Don't worry it was managed to be returned to the original dealer for a full refund, so no damage done. It was very useful to see the proper way of marking the eggs and the info on the marks not making sense. I was easily fooled - so I'm sure your info will help many others :)
Thanks again
Vickie

Return to “Russian Silver”