"Fauxberge"

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
gsmoggy

"Fauxberge"

Post by gsmoggy »

Hi Members and Goldstein
After reading an interesting article in Faberge in America by Geza von Habsburg about "Fauxberge" I do not feel so bad about my small purchase of my silver egg stand with a Faberge style mark on it. It seems far richer and smarter people than myself have over the years been fooled for one reason or another.

As i mentioned in an earlier post that a lot of Galleries and museums have a lot of fakes and copies. Reading the article makes you realize that it is not just your average person in the street that gets it wrong ,as we have seen in the past when rich collectors do not get it right it is very difficult for the average person.

For me my small purchase has been a very cheap education and experience,if all my experiences in life would be so cheap I will be very happy.

Regards Guido.
Goldstein
contributor

Re: "Fauxberge"

Post by Goldstein »

Hi gsmoggy -

It does not matter if you are rich or poor - it is important if you know what you are doing! An uneducated American millionaire is as affected as an ignorant poor European. Money is not the key - it's knowledge.
So always the same advice: Learn before you buy so you know what you are buying! There are enough authentic objects that are advantageous to buy - because no one knows them ..... Fakers expect stupid customers - it's up to you if you want to be one of them! There are enough others....you can meet them on the forum every week.

Regards
Goldstein
gsmoggy

Post by gsmoggy »

Hi Goldstein
Maybe you should send your post some of the dumb millionaires?

Regards Guido.
Aguest
contributor

Post by Aguest »

What is the purpose of trolling the members here? We give our time to try and help people to the best of our knowledge.
Goldstein
contributor

Post by Goldstein »

Hi gsmoggy -

My post was actually tailored for you....probably a more or less futile effort!

Regards
Goldstein
gsmoggy

Post by gsmoggy »

HI Goldstein -Aguest .
WE are not quiet understanding each other .I do not have anything else but praise and gratitude for all the help and knowledge I have received from the members .If you look back on my posts you will see that i completely agreed with what Goldstein had to say,the only thing I said that he did not know about every piece that was made in factories 100 years ago.

My last post was just an example if that a lot of so called knowledgeable rich collectors do not always get it right,it is not that easy for the average person .
All Goldstein's comments sound common sense in theory ,but as we know in practice lots of other issues get in the way .
I wonder if Goldstein has ever purchased a copy or a fake piece of Faberge? I wonder if he would admit it ?if he did .
Goldstein it seems like you may have a lot of knowledge but sometimes your manner in the way you address members in a condescending way may have to be looked at by you.
If all this is so easy as you say, all we need is Knowledge ,as i said before, there must be a lot of dumb collectors and institutions that maybe should have contacted you before they purchased there million dollar items.

It is great that you are of a lot of help to members on the forum,you should remember that everybody has to start their learning somewhere.
And my learning is still in the early stages (for a non Faberge Collector)
Kind Regards Guido.
Goldstein
contributor

Post by Goldstein »

Hi gsmoggy -

The world has changed a lot in the last 50 years: If you've previously bought something in an auction house, which turned out in retrospect as a fake - then you got straight back your money and a sincere apology from the management!
Today fakes are knowingly sold - a withdrawal denied.

Collectors and collectors are not the same! The one collects because he understands what he is doing - the other has no idea - and buys things at often dubious dealers as a supposed investment in the future. The widow then experiences a nasty surprise when she wants to sale the supposedly valuable collection of her husband to make money.
I've seen two such supposed Fabergé collections in the US - both from well-known Texan oil millionaires .... I could not believe what I saw - the highlight was a Fabergé jeweled gas lighter!

But you do not have to go far to meet "collectors" who buy on eBay "Fabergé" and after have it proudly reviewed in the forum.

These are moments when I lose my restraint!

There is only one sensible way: start small (cheap) and learn!
You always can ask people who know more than you!

Regards
Goldstein
gsmoggy

Post by gsmoggy »

Hi Goldstein

I agree with everything you had to say,well said.
As i mentioned before my small purchase has been a cheap learning exercise about Faberge collecting.

Best regards Guido.

Return to “Russian Silver”