Russian Marks Section

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
admin
Site Admin

Russian Marks Section

Post by admin »

Dear Members,

A new section of Russian hallmarks has just been added to the website. It includes pages on; city marks, makers' marks, assay marks and kokoshnik marks. We'd like to see the content grow so if you'd like to contribute any examples of Russian marks, please send them to:

Many thanks, Tom

Russian Hallmarks

jackk
contributor

Post by jackk »

Tom, what about Warsaw makers' marks? Would you consider them as Russian or Polish? I do not think any literature shows them as Russian makers.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi jackk,
We will include Warsaw marks that date to the period 1852 - 1915, when marking there was overseen by the Russian Imperial assay office.

Would be great if you could contribute some.

Thanks, Tom
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

jackk,
Many thanks for the mark contributions, they have, along with a few more that were on hand, just been added to the Russian section.
Best Regards,
Tom
paulh
contributor

Some "Russian" city marks.

Post by paulh »

Hello Tom,

Here are a couple of Riga marks to fill a blank space on the Russian Hallmarks page. I will have a rummage around to see if there are any more which might be useful.

There is also an example of the post 1842 Tallin/Revel mark. Maker Leopold Michaelson 1868.

Riga 1. Johans Joamis Krusemanis. The “F” places it around 1790. At which time Latvian pieces were using Lothigs and not Zolotniki.

Riga 2. Carl Ludwig Perseling. 1868. Assay Master, Ludwig Zuks.

Best wishes.

Paul.

http://thumb14.webshots.net/t/63/763/4/ ... NmB_th.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://thumb14.webshots.net/t/52/752/8/ ... avM_th.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://thumb14.webshots.net/t/63/763/4/ ... grR_th.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Paul,

Great!, very glad to have them. Will be updating the Russian section this week and they will be included.

Many thanks for the contribution,
Tom
carlislepaul
contributor

Russian marks

Post by carlislepaul »

Tom (admin)

Are you taking marks submitted to the site for identification directly from the photos supplied or do they have to be submitted seperately?

Are you accepting the identifications from contributors or is there some other standard?

Regards

Paul
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Paul,
Marks posted on the forum as queries are eventually copied and added to the website. Contributions by email are always appreciated, but it is not necessary to submit by both methods.
Due to circumstances outside of my control, I've had little time to update the site over the past months and there is quite a large backlog of marks waiting to be added, but I hope to get back to regular updates in the near future.
Mark submissions are checked against my meager resources before they are added. Luckily, the site's knowledgeable core users are quick to let me know when a mark is erroneously attributed (and a big thanks to y'all for that).

Best, Tom
Qrt.S
contributor

Re: Russian Marks Section

Post by Qrt.S »

Hi Tom, I hope you are staying well,
Time is flying and I'm again offering to correct and fill in some blanks on the Russian sites regarding the assayers etc. Unfortunately but nicely said there is to some extent "inexact" information on these sites...
My previous offer a long time ago seems to have gone to the dogs...

Anyway, have a nice day

Qrt.S

PS I have let you know, but...
zilverik
contributor

Post by zilverik »

Hi,

In earlier posts I read about Russian pseudomarks. Reading these posts I am very curious about an overview of these pseudo/false marks. There are a lot of books about Russian silver, but I never have seen a book about Russian pseudomarks. Anyone has?

Regards,

Zilverik
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi Zilverik,

'Crowning Glory - Silver Torah Ornaments of the Jewish Museum, New York' has fourteen examples of Russian pseudo marks (p.372).

Trev.
zilverik
contributor

Post by zilverik »

Hi Trev,

Many thanks. I ordered the book just now.

Regards,

Zilverik
wsharek

Post by wsharek »

By the way, I found this site about Polish silver under Russian partition to be very useful.
http://www.ascasonline.org/windowAGOS99.html

(I'm new so I don't know if you already addressed the question asked by Jack in 2009)
Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

The site is not a Polish silver site but a silver plate site. There is a big difference between silver and silver plate!

Return to “Russian Silver”