Russian hallmark

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
miche

Russian hallmark

Post by miche »

I received this purse years ago from my father. The hallmark is russian head with 84 = St Petersburg according to this site from ~ 1908 - 1917 and got to 00 with an I crossing the second 0 vertically. Tried to take picture from hallmark but it did not work. Can anyone help me? Thanks
miche

Post by miche »

I am surprised that in the 300 times this post was viewed no one could help me. Any particular reason? Thanks
dragonflywink
co-admin

Post by dragonflywink »

It's a very sweet piece. Not strong in Russian marks, but it's unclear to me exactly what information you're seeking. If you're asking for more than you already seem to know, pictures of the marks would be necessary, perhaps a drawing if you can't photograph the marks.

Cheryl ;o)
georgiansilver
contributor

Post by georgiansilver »

Miche, sorry to say that assessing marks without seeing them is a difficult task and people on here would not undertake to do so lightly. To anyone who cares about their reputation as an assessor/valuer, guesswork is out of the question. If you could possibly take a pic of the mark or scan it please it may well help. We are always ready to help if we can. Best wishes, Mike.
miche

Post by miche »

I manage to take a picture of the mark this is the best I can do. the other mark is ans you can see head with 84 = St Petersburg according to this site from ~ 1908 - 1917
Hope this will help identify this object it is mostly for me to know not for any mercantile purposes. Thanks.
Bahner
contributor

Post by Bahner »

Hello, looks like the mark of Fedor Alexej Ovchinnikov. Founded in 1853 by Pavel Ovchinnikov in Moscow, since 1865 supplier to the Imperial Court. Opened up a branch in St. Petersburg in 1873. Ceased avtivities in 1917. After Fabergé the most important Russian maker of silverware. The guarantee mark on this piece was used between 1908 and 1917. Beware of false marks or marks that were later added. There should be other marks on the piece, like a town mark, a district mark, the warden's mark or the mark of a court supplier. Best wishes, Bahner
miche

Post by miche »

Thank you for the info the only other mark is the one that is listed in the russian marks of this site:the head left with 84 on the right
Bottom right ~ 1908 - 1917, Symbol to left of head indicates town
Seems to be St Petersburg. Both marks are on each part of the purse I have not found any ther marks. Maybe inside but then I need to remove the very fragile lining that is ready to fall apart.
Thank you for the info. Miche

Return to “Russian Silver”