silver pipe stem sleeve

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
odinseyes

silver pipe stem sleeve

Post by odinseyes »

Trying to identify the craftsman/ silversmith who made this piece. My father believes it is the work of "john kinzie" , but i'd like more imput from you thank you.

(admin edit - see Posting Requirements )
dognose
Site Admin

Re: silver pipe stem sleeve

Post by dognose »

Hi,

Welcome to the Forum.

Your question cannot be answered without the required images. The below should help you:

How to Add Images

Posting Requirements

http://www.postimages.org is recommended. Embedded images get a far greater response than just posting links.

Remember to use the 'Preview' button before submitting your post.

Trev.
odinseyes

Post by odinseyes »

Sry folks..... http://postimg.org/gallery/6qzee8gs/
Should show the item , i believe it may be french because of the keystone shaped hallmark containing what may be a form of the cross of lorraine and the #8, the other mark is a perhaps a sylized J followed by a K . Hope this .helps ps the ends of the sleeve are flared and octagonal
odinseyes

Post by odinseyes »

Added a new pic , something happened to the first one during upload. It shows the hallmarks thank you all for whatever help you can provide.
Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

Try to take some sharp macro photos of the marks. What you show does not make any sense, at least not regarding imperial Russian marks. Where from is the on the paper written information?
Zolotnik

Post by Zolotnik »

Hi odinseyes -

what you have is a Russian "mundstück" (cigarette holder) from the caucasus region in silver/niello technique - mostly with artificial/genuine amber or bone mouthpiece. The letters ЛК are Cyrillic, in Latin LK and belong to an until now unknown silversmith from Kiew, working 1908 -17. The other mark on your sketch is the assaymark for objects of less than 8 gramms silver. I enclose some original marks for better understanding and similar objects:

Unknown silversmith from Kiev:

assaymark 8 gramms (here example from Moscow):

some similar objects:

Regards
Zolotnik
Francais

Post by Francais »

I normally don't read postings about Russian silver, but I noticed John Kinzie. I presume you mean the early Chicago silversmith.
I presume if that is the case you realize your father is wrong, Kinzie didn't make Russian silver.
Maurice
odinseyes

Post by odinseyes »

I didnt think so either, thats why im here, and it looks like the trail may end her e, if indeed this piece is a as of until now an unknown russian silversmith . Im trying to get some better pic done now , thanks for the help guys.
odinseyes

Post by odinseyes »

Did the best i could with the hallmarks pics here they re, upon close examination the crossed T top is the same width as the center cross line, and i believe the tip is amber,
odinseyes

Post by odinseyes »

I believe the assay mark is an 84 inside a keystone shape, in the close photo i noticed that you can just make out the 4 & the pic is upside down. ADMIN EDIT - Please see: Posting Requirements

Return to “Russian Silver”