Russion Icon Identification Help

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
timj

Russion Icon Identification Help

Post by timj »

Hi,

I have a Russian icon that my great grandmother brought to Canada. I have looked through the website but I'm hoping for some help in identifying a maker or any other information about it. Here are some pictures:

AG2012
contributor

Re: Russion Icon Identification Help

Post by AG2012 »

Hi,
Welcome to the forum.
The icon of Christ Pantocrator (The Ruler of All Greek: Χριστός Παντοκράτωρ) was made by the firm of Pavel Ovchinikov (Предприятие «П.А. Овчинников»), one of the most excellent Russian silversmiths.
He was discussed here many times, mostly in regard of faked marks. Enter ``P. Ovchinkov`` into search engine (top right of this page) and explore threads.
But I`m sure knowledgeable members of the forum will add more links and information.
Your icon is very simple when compared to other ``okladi`` in enamel made by P. Ovchinikov, and I think it`s genuine.
Regards
Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

Hmmm! The Ovchinnikov factory is in particular famous for its enamel among other things.... no enamel here! Anyway, the assayer HK would be Nikolay Kulakov 1886-1887 in Moscow. However, the shape of the 84's frame is a bit odd but...probably genuine.

If there is any possibility to remove the oklad/riza without force, do it and check if there is a full painting and not only hands and face under it, the icon is genuine. In other cases I have heavy doubts.

For the records, "Pantocrator" means "almighty"
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Excellent idea Qrt.S to inspect the icon. I found one more image on Photobucket; the icon looks easily removable, not fixed whatsoever.
Provenance is not always trustworthy (brought to Canada by grand - grandmother) but if you say so....
The main issue here is rather simple ``oklad`` not consistent with Ovchenikov high quality.
Let`s wait.
Regards
Goldstein
contributor

Post by Goldstein »

Hi -
as we all know, the firm of Ovtschinnikov was famous for their high quality silver - but more of their exeptional enamels.
Just to remember:

We all also know that fakers use his marks not only on better silver objects but also even on plain silver spoons and sometimes on icons - and it does not matter if the icon has a simple wooden frame - although his specialty was very elaborate silver or enamel frames.

The bifurcated stamp of the number 84 (84 zolotniki) is an ever-recurring feature on counterfeits:

Authentic stamps look different:

By the way - large "cow eyes" are also a sure sign of a fake.....

Regards
Goldstein
Goldstein
contributor

Post by Goldstein »

Hi -
a quick Google-search shows several modern copies of this sujet....

Regards
Goldstein
timj

Post by timj »

Thank you all very much for the information. It looks like I have some more research to do.

Here are a few more photos of the stamps on the front face. I'm not 100% comfortable with removing the cover to inspect the painting, but I'll see what I can do.

Tim

AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Hi,
Now we are confronted with really suspicious issue; DIFFERENT marks on halo, both maker and assayer. That`s not supposed to happen, unless the halo was replaced, which is impossible answer to this enigma. More likely, the oklad was made by another maker and P. Ovchinikov marks are faked.
The provenance again; how come this icon with marks like this was brought from Russia nearly hundred years ago ?
Regards
timj

Post by timj »

Yes I agree it is odd. The craftsmanship also is not as good on the halo, which is elevated around its circumference in sort of a 'cone' shape. I am not able to remove the cover to inspect the painting as it is nailed in around the sides. My great grandmother was Baltic German and lived in Latvia.

Here is another piece that she brought with her, the mark picture is slightly blurry due to it being taken on my iphone. It's also behind glass.

Admin edit one item per topic
Last edited by oel on Fri Dec 30, 2016 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: One item per topic
Goldstein
contributor

Post by Goldstein »

Hi -
here a bronce/enamel icon from the "Holy Nikolaus"/ "Christ pantocrator". This icons exist in numerous sizes, qualities and themata - They were much cheaper than the large, painted icons with silver or enamel oklads - mass production.
Russia was always devoted to St. Nicholas in particularly fervent worship. There he was even chosen as a National Saint. Several Tsars bore his name.
Have a look at the details and the quality even on this cheap mass production and compare with what you have.

Regards
Goldstein

source: Stefan Jeckel, Russische Metall-Ikonen - in Formsang gegossener Glaube
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Hi,
The halo was normally made as a separate part and should bear the same marks. I think the marks on the halo are genuine marks of the maker of this icon. One can only speculate what may have happened in a different scenario; e.g. P.Ovchinikov icon and halo lost and replaced from another icon and coincidentally found the same year - slim chance.
There are several issues in regard of P. Ovchinikov marks, and besides, there are signs of over-striking.
I thought there were no nails fixing the painting, so better do not try to remove them.
Start another thread with new item, the image of the whole item and good close up image of the marks.
Regards
Goldstein
contributor

Post by Goldstein »

Hi -
A quick check on the Internet confirms that this type icon is most often falsified.
Many variations exist - the "painting" is always identic - plus the "coweyes"!

Regards
Goldstein

Return to “Russian Silver”