Early Soviet Aviation Medal

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Goldstein
contributor

Early Soviet Aviation Medal

Post by Goldstein »

Hi all -
early Soviet aviation medal DOBROLET from ca 1923. Designed by Alexander Rodschenko, award number N 1585.
Maker ПВ, Petrograd ca. 1923
Silver 84, enamel champlevé
That is all I know. Maybe someone could fill me in.

Regards
Goldstein
AG2012
contributor

Re: Early Soviet Aviation Medal

Post by AG2012 »

Hi,
Russian air fleet ``Dobrolet`` with initial capital of 2 million rubles in gold was founded in Moscow, March 1923. From its constitution:
`` Development of civilian air fleet within SSSR and organization of air lines for passengers, mail and cargo, air photographic surveillance and other applications in domestic aviation industry``.
In 1930 it covered 26 000 kilometers.
During seven years the fleet covered 10 million kilometers, 47 thousand passengers and 408 cargo tons.
Three companies ``Dobrolet``, Ukrvozduhput`` and `` Zakavia`` merged end 1930 to create ``All Soviet Civilian Air Fleet``.
The designer of the badge was the artist Alexander M. Rodtschenko (1891 – 1956)
http://www.sovietznak.ru/badge/2227
(No right mouse and copy-paste option for Google translate, did my best to translate it)..
Regards
Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

Nice doing AG2012!
The company Dobrolet, actually Добролёт, freely translated "good flying" is up and running again. Today it is a company for cheap flying owned by Aeroflot. Anyway, and mind my asking but do I see a Greek delta in the kokshnik, or? In addition the enameling is made in the guilloché technique and not champlevé.
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

The first regular flight from Moscow to Nizhny Novgorod June 15, 1923, the pilot was Ya. Moiseev. (Я. Моисеев).
This badge was designed by Kazimir Malevich, recently presented to Vitaly Savelyev, Aeroflot CEO by D. Medvedev. Hopefully, it was not the copy available on Internet.
Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

Ups!!! Rather lousy quality compared with the one one showed by Goldstein!!!
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Guilloché if referring to the pattern seen on wings and tail, champlevé because cells are die struck into the metal.
Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

@AG2012
Sorry but I don't quite catch you now. The guilloché technique is a repetitive machine engraved surface filled with translucent enamel while champlevé is die struck as you say or carved or even etched in the surface. What is champlevé in Goldstein's badge?
olga_kehl
contributor

Post by olga_kehl »

Designer Alexander M. Rodtschenko entered into conflict with the Stalinist bureaucracy, and spent the last 20 years of his life in obscurity and isolation.
Goldstein
contributor

Post by Goldstein »

Hi AG2012 -
one can always rely on your exhaustive researches and your detailed knowledge! Thank you very much!

Qrt.S -
Qrt.S wrote: Anyway, and mind my asking but do I see a Greek delta in the kokshnik, or? In addition the enameling is made in the guilloché technique and not champlevé.
AG2012 wrote:Guilloché if referring to the pattern seen on wings and tail, champlevé because cells are die struck into the metal.
More questions?

The Kokoschnik mark is scratched, but the controlmark (on the right of the Kokoschnik) shows clearly a dot under the chin (Petrograd, Leningrad, St. Petersburg). At least I see a dot and an Alpha.
The mint in Petrograd was known for the manufacture of orders and medals in the SU
More questions?

Regards
Goldstein
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Yes,in description of the badge elsewhere on Russian sites it`s Alpha.Interestingly, there is a variant with black enamel instead of blue.
Regards
Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

OK, alpha it is, thank you.

Return to “Russian Silver”