Confusing hallmarks on 1786 silver pointer

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
daddysohn

Confusing hallmarks on 1786 silver pointer

Post by daddysohn »

I cant work this out, if the year of creation was 1786 as hallmark appears to testify, then why does it say A A on it, who was an Assay Master in mid-19th Century?

(admin photo edit - remember to use the preview feature)
Qrt.S
contributor

Re: Confusing hallmarks on 1786 silver pointer

Post by Qrt.S »

Nobody can work it out for the simple reason that the tora pointer/yad is a fake. The faker hasn't bothered to investigate what hallmarks are used during certain eras and how they look like. If you have bought this yad return it and claim refunding. I must also tell you that finding authentic and especially authentic yads or authentic judaica in general on the market today is close to impossible. I haven't seen any genuine yads in years.
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Hi,
``Offered to you very rare and much sought after original Imperial Russia Jewish yad Torah silver pointer.``
Most likely made the day before yesterday.
As suggested by Qrt.S claim refund first thing in the morning.
Regards
amena
contributor

Post by amena »

Take a look here
http://www.925-1000.com/forum/viewtopic ... YAD#p98624
Oel says
I could be wrong but I dare say; Torah Pointers with true Russian hallmarks might not exist.
At flea markets, on the Russian stalls, along with magnifying glasses, torches, turning tools and other bits and pieces, there are always tens of yad with Russian hallmark.
It seems a bit suspect.
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Hi,
Money back ! There is no doubt it`a fake.
Regrads
daddysohn

Post by daddysohn »

It is okay. I did not buy it, decided (wisely, in retrospect) to consult the forum first. Thanks for all your help. (By the way the guy claimed he is italian and inherited it from his fathers collection).
Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

@daddysohn

Yes, that is heard before a thousand times, even more......."It has been in the family for ages, I inherited it from my grandfather, it was fond in the attic in an old chest..." etc.etc.....
For the future: Do not believe in sellers' stories. They only distract you because you start to listen instead of looking carefully at the marks. That is exactly the seller's aim. You should believe in your own eyes and knowledge only and not the seller's nonsense. If you don't know what you are buying, don't buy.

Return to “Russian Silver”