Spoon from Riga

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Goldstein
contributor

Spoon from Riga

Post by Goldstein »

Hi -
can not find the maker in my files. Any help welcome!

Image Image

Regards
Goldstein
olga_kehl
contributor

Re: Spoon from Riga

Post by olga_kehl »

Hello!

On one Russian forum there is an opinion that EL is "Эдвард Линке муж Марии Линке и отец Константина Линке" (Edward Linke, husband of Maria Linke and father of Konstantin Linke).
Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

The assayer K3 is Kliment Zagayevsky. He assayed in Riga 1899-1916. It is a match with the hallmark. Was Edvard Lincke a goldsmith in Riga? What source indicates that? (Konstantin Linke/Lincke was active in Moscow).
olga_kehl
contributor

Post by olga_kehl »

You are right. Edvard Lincke was citizen of Prussia, but the family was active in St. Petersburg and Moscow. So probably this is the other silversmith.
Goldstein
contributor

Post by Goldstein »

Hi Olga -
many thanks for your replay! V. Vilite mention him not in his book (the bible of Latvian gold - and silversmiths). Also A. Leistikow.
Image Image

Regards
Goldstein
Dad
contributor

Post by Dad »

Hi.

In 1892 in Riga there was workshop of Ekatherina Leischke, which after the death of her husband (Johann Andreas Leischke) continued his business.
Goldstein
contributor

Post by Goldstein »

Hi Dad -

many thanks for your information!

Regards
Goldstein
Scotrab
contributor

Post by Scotrab »

In Mrs. Valda Vilite book on Latvian silversmiths "Latvijas Sudrabkali - Darbi un Meistaru Zimes", "Goldschmiede Lettlands - Verzeichnis der Merkzeichen und Werke", Riga Avots 1993, there is at the end of the section for Riga on pp. 98-100 the list "Meistari, kas 1882.-1903 g. Registreti Rigas Proves Palata", that Google translates as "Masters registered in the Assay Chamber of Riga in the years 1882-1903". The book is in Latvian, with only the title and a short summary at the end in German, and the extensive list of the names of the masters at the end in Latvian, German and Russian.
Going through the short list on p. 99 one finds no. 409. Emma Larsena, 1888-1893 and no. 418. Ernests Lipe, 1892. Their names have been transliterated into Latvian from probably the original German. The names in this lists are not reported again in the extensive list at the end
At no. 412. one finds Katrina Leischke, 1898, as indicated by Dad previously as Ekatherina Leischke.
Goldstein
contributor

Post by Goldstein »

Hi Scotrab -
in the above shown book from V. Vilite I found the from you and Dad mentioned names. I opt for K. Leischke.Thanks again to you both.

Regards
Goldstein
Dad
contributor

Post by Dad »

Goldstein wrote:Hi Scotrab -
in the above shown book from V. Vilite I found the from you and Dad mentioned names. I opt for K. Leischke.Thanks again to you both.

Regards
Goldstein
I think you must be carefull in this question. If her name Katharina (German), that initials KL. I had found her name in russian document like "Екатерина Лейшке".
Goldstein
contributor

Post by Goldstein »

Hi Dad -

I already have noted her as Ekaterina (Katharina, Katrina) Leischke = EL
Thanks for your warning anyway!

Regards
Goldstein
Ubaranda
contributor

Post by Ubaranda »

I think that the version about Ekaterina Leishke is very doubt. Leishke is mentioned in 1892 but discussed mark refers to 1899-1908.
In the directory "All Russia" for 1902 were mentioned Emma Larsen (Эмма Ларсен) from Riga and Eduard Lindgolm (Эдуард Линдгольм) from Pernov. Most likely the mark EL belongs to one of them.

Regards.
Goldstein
contributor

Post by Goldstein »

Hi Ubaranda -
many thanks for your valuable input!
In over 30 years of collecting Baltic silver it is the first time I saw this EL mark - it is very rare. But who could it be - a woman or a man?
What do you think?
The spoon I have is very common - like many others of that period.

Regards
Goldstein
Ubaranda
contributor

Post by Ubaranda »

Goldstein wrote: But who could it be - a woman or a man?
What do you think?
Regards
Goldstein
I would also like to know this...
Regards.

Return to “Russian Silver”