Russian Coin Spoons

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Aguest
contributor

Russian Coin Spoons

Post by Aguest »

I am posting this for an antiques dealer friend who wonders about these Russian Coin Spoons. I have noticed this type of spoon being openly sold as a fake or counterfeit or fantasy spoon, but are there any genuine examples of this spoon?

This was bought from an very well-educated collector of spoons, and maybe the education of the seller overshadowed the evidence?

Is the moral of the story, never let the education of the seller overshadow the evidence, and be extremely careful each and every time.

AG2012
contributor

Re: Russian Coin Spoons

Post by AG2012 »

Hi,
Commemorative medal on the Visit of Alexander I to Munich, 1815.Diameter is 40mm. and weight 29 gm.
The marks are too small but I think the year is 186...something and looks like Moscow assay office.
I have not seen smaller medals, most probably they do not exist.
Why would one make a commemorative spoon in Russia more than 35 years after the visit?
This medal in silver is rather rare and expensive, but there is the same medal in bronze more affordable.
Have enlarged the image and I think marks are faked, as well as the spoon itself.
Show us the close up of marks, please.
Regards

Goldstein
contributor

Post by Goldstein »

Hi Aguest -

several variants of this "spoons" exist and are sold worldwide. Pure phantasy and 100% fake.

Regards
Goldstein
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Китайское народное творчество
(Chinese folk art)

olga_kehl
contributor

Post by olga_kehl »

Thank you much, collegues, I was about to buy one of them ((
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Hi,
They are even found buried when digging trench 1 m deep in a village in Moscow region. Unbelievable !

http://club.newmolot.ru/index.php?threa ... a-new.484/
Serg1975
contributor

Post by Serg1975 »

Unbelievable !
Of course, everyone remembers the invasion of the Chinese Horde under Peter I.
The cultural layer.
femore

Post by femore »

I've seen such spoons when I was in St Petersburg on a flea market. A man was very persisting in his attempts to sell it to me, but something stopped me. For the better as I see. I've just googled and couldn't find the name of the flea market, found another one https://petersburg.expert/blog/udelnaya-flea-market/, has anyone been there? I'm going to Russia in a month and would like to know if it's worth visiting.

Return to “Russian Silver”