Fyodor Ivanov(?) Silver On Glass

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Aguest
contributor

Fyodor Ivanov(?) Silver On Glass

Post by Aguest »

Perhaps this object was made by Fyodor Ivanov? It has an inscription for 1911 with a name and a brief note ::: All the other objects by Fyodor Ivanov seemed to be earlier than this one ::: Were there a few silversmiths in Moscow who had the same initials, and perhaps this is one of them?

I thought this was a tea glass holder, but the silver is fused on the glass, and all the other tea glass holders seem to have inserts where a glass can be easily removed and changed as needed ::: In this case, there is no way to remove the glass :: Amazingly, the glass is not chipped or cracked ::: The glass is sort of "faceted," if that makes any sense ::: There is a silver rim on the top where the persons mouth would drink :::

Aguest
contributor

Re: Fyodor Ivanov(?) Silver On Glass

Post by Aguest »

::: Forgot the Kokoshnik Mark :::

:: And here is some nice pierced work at the base which is all silver and slightly raises the glass off the table ::

Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

Maybe some "Fyodor Ivanov" in Moscow, but not the master that have been discussed in another thread. His working period was 1843-1882. On your tea glass holder you have the right looking kokoshink 1908-1917(26) and that is too late for him. The problem here is also that the mark could as well be ИФ. Unfortunately I'm neither able to name him because there were a few ИФ in Moscow around and after the turn of the century.

Anyway, in my opinion the glass part is a replacement. An original glass part is never tight in the holder and therefore easily to remove and wash. If it is tight, it will broke sooner or later because of the expansion when boiling water is poured into it. Another reason is that usually the glass part is of very thin glass. The glass part in your holder is rather tick, so...? I will revert to the text later, patience...
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Hi,
The maker has been elaborated by Qrt.S. It can be either ``ФИ``or ``ИФ``
If you really want to search for more Moscow silversmiths matching initials try in V. Skurlov .
Enter this into Google:
Продолжение. ЮВЕЛИРЫ МОСКВЫ. 1850 – 1917 гг.
The first link is to part one, the second link to part two (letter ``Ф`` is close to the end of Russian alphabet).
In regard of glass, when replaced it was forced into the holder. You can leave it like this if not used for hot tea.Tightly fitting glass is seen in decanters, but wine and brandy are not hot.
Regards
Aguest
contributor

Post by Aguest »

::: Yes I did note the Baccarat thread where evidence pointed to a glass replacement due to extraneous parts and s mis-aligned fit of glass into silver :::

:::: In this case the fit is so perfect, and note the silver on the rim which is really "fused," and the glass appears so old, that I assumed original :::
::::: There are two engraved hearts on the other side which are leaning on an altar, so I assumed it was a wedding gift for wine: LOVING CUP :::::

:::::::::: The height is 12 centimeters and the width is 10 centimeters, so perhaps this size would indicate a use for wine rather than tea :::::::::::

:: Very closer to TANKARD size rather than the shorter TEA size (unless you have seen larger examples of the tea glass which compare to this example ::

(( It does remind me of decanters where the silver is so tight on the glass, it is difficult to see how the glass could ever be possibly replaced ))
Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

I'm afraid you are wrong. Your object is without any doubts a "podstakannik" i.e. tea glass holder. An ordinary Russian holder with glass is ~12 cm in height and the holder's Ø ~7 cm. The glass' Ø ~ 6,5 cm due to the expansion reason. However, there are other a bit bigger dimensions but they are rather rare. Anyway, it is in not a "tankard" in any case. It is much bigger in size and I have never seen a tankard with a glass insert. The glass is replaced. Take that as a fact.
Goldstein
contributor

Post by Goldstein »

Hi -
please try to drink hot tea out of a silver-rimmed glass. But do not forget blister cream!

Regards
Goldstein
Aguest
contributor

Post by Aguest »

::: Absolutely, I will take it as fact, I was not disputing, simply un-educated in Russian Silver :::

There is one larger example that I have seen, and it is missing the glass, but it is large enough to place an aluminum Pepsi-Cola can, which is 2.60 Inches In diameter, in the silver part such that you could walk around and sip your Pepsi (or Coca-Cola or whatever) ::: Strangely enough, I just measured my diameter and it is 2.75 inches in diameter :::: Maybe this example just seems larger, because it is a thicker gauge of silver and it displays the "Sputnik" satellite in orbit revolving around the silver part :::

I can get a pic of this Sputnik celebration silver object if you so desire :::: Also a set of 4 very small cups (shot glasses or vodka cups) which bear the "Khlebnikov" mark which have had 50 years of their existence accounted for, so either authentic or an "upgrade fake," but the name "Khlebnikov" and the double-eagle stamp are separated, but I will try to get pics ::::
Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

Please note that 2,75" is ~70mm (7cm).
I would appreciate if you show pictures of your mentioned objects and especially clear and sharp close-ups of their marks.
Thank you in advance
Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

Sorry but took some time before I had the possibility interpret the engraving. It tells the following:

Darling Griniki (nickname for Grigori)
from loving Tusha
Aguest
contributor

Post by Aguest »

+Thanks for the translation, really appreciate the help, extremely well-informed helpful experts of Russian silver herein this forum )(

Return to “Russian Silver”