Please help identify hallmarks antique Russian silver serving tray

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Lisuerre

Please help identify hallmarks antique Russian silver serving tray

Post by Lisuerre »

First, I would like to say hello to all members as it is my first post here.
I have inherited this silver tray and it is actually my first ever piece of Russian silver. There are 3 hallmarks on the back, but I cannot distinguish them since I am not used to Russian silver hallmarks. The only one I know about is the Russian silver standard 84. Does anybody know the date or maker?
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

AG2012
contributor

Re: Please help identify hallmarks antique Russian silver serving tray

Post by AG2012 »

Hi,
Welcome to the forum.
Are both handles bolted?
That`s very unusual, especially the bolt over the mark (the assayer).
No marks on handles, right?
I find this very suspicious.
Regards
Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

Indeed a bit strange marking, riveted trough the hallmark etc. ???? Outlook is not exactly Russian...Looks like made in Moscow before 1882 but the maker's mark is unreadable. What is the master's name in the very long mark (???КЧУIIIНИКОВЪ ???KCHUSHINKOV, ???) with three III in the middle or is it Ш? It doesn't look like Ш or Щ. Agree with AG2012, suspicious object.

Are there any marks anywhere else on the tray?
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

The maker:
Гречушников Иван Федорович
Grechushnikov Ivan Fedorovich 1838- 1860
Lefortovskaya District , 1st block,22, Moscow

There were Matvei (1818— 1848) and Nikolai (mentioned 1852) Grechushnikov in Moscow, but Ivan was recorded to have had full name in the mark.

Fixing handles like this is very unusual, either added later or repaired. Are the bolts in both handles ?
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Could be authentic mid 19th century tray but handles are definitively repaired.
They are never riveted but soldered. When detached from the tray, soldering is possible but very demanding task. Namely, the entire tray should be heated and it`s much easier to use rivets.
Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

Yes of course it is Ivan G.. Thanks AG2012. However, the rivet "construction" is still not a good thing.
Goldstein
contributor

Post by Goldstein »

Hi Lisuerre -

Congratulations on your rare and beautiful heritage!
Early Russian tablets in this size, quality and condition are not often seen - the manufacturer is even rarer! The handles were installed afterwards, which can be seen on the other style / pattern and the type of fastening - probably for reasons of comfort.

Regards
Goldstein
Lisuerre

Post by Lisuerre »

Hi AG2012, Qrt.S, Goldstein

Many, many thanks for your inestimable help. I am not a silver collector and my knowledge about antique silver is very limited.

AG2012: Yes, both handles are bolted, each one with four rivets
After a closer inspection, it seems that the handles are a later addition, I totally agree with Goldstein. It is not a small tray (41x33 cms without handles), and without handles it would be quite uncomfortable to manage. Handles are very well fixed to the tray, but do not look to be soldered or to be part of the tray itself. I have more silver trays, although not so old, and handle fixing is completely different. According to your opinions, I suspect one of the rivets was unfortunately set over the assayer’s mark and the mark was lost forever.

There are no more hallmarks on the handles, but there is what seems to be an old reparation (see red arrows), and the tray looks quite old (but as said I am not an expert)

Once more many thanks for your help. I am more than happy with all provided info.

Return to “Russian Silver”