Assistance Identifying Russian Cloisonné Silver Cigarette Case Marks

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
bobandcindy

Assistance Identifying Russian Cloisonné Silver Cigarette Case Marks

Post by bobandcindy »

I am trying to determine the maker of this Art Nouveau Russian gilt silver cloisonné cigarette case - I think it is by D.P. Nitkin. It strongly resembles this piece: (admin edit - see Posting Requirements )

The mark also looks like it could be Dmitriì Nikolaevich Nikolaev. Any input/advice would be appreciated. Thank you,

Bob

Qrt.S
contributor

Re: Assistance Identifying Russian Cloisonné Silver Cigarette Case Marks

Post by Qrt.S »

First of all, the correct master's name is D.P NIKITIN, 1893-1917 in Moscow. His punch is ДН. Moreover, I my eyes the mark looks more like ПН, possibly ЛН. I'm a bit suspicious about this case. Let's wait for other opinions.
Ubaranda
contributor

Post by Ubaranda »

Hello!
The maker is the famous Moscow owner of silver factory Dmitry Nikolaev (Дмитрий Николаев). His company has made enameled cigarette cases.
Regards.

Goldstein
contributor

Post by Goldstein »

Hi Ubaranda -
it is always difficult to judge blurry photos taken somewhere from the internet! If you own this cigarette case - please take some clear and sharp photos.
I am with Qrt.S - the shown mark belong neither to Nikolaev nor to Nikitin. Without better photos it is just speculation...
In my collection I have numerous cigarette cases of both - all the marks are clear and precise!
Have a look and pay attention to the different Д`s!
Nikitin
Nikolaev
Some examples Nikitin
Some examples Nikolaev

Regards
Goldstein
Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

After Uberanda's reply I took a new look at the mark. Sorry Ubaranda but I cannot get a Д out of the first letter in any case. It is neither Nikitin nor Nikolayev. I have no idea who it is and I am still suspicious about it.

Return to “Russian Silver”