Marschak?

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Goldstein
contributor

Marschak?

Post by Goldstein »

Hi -

Someone offered me the following tea glass holder, made by I. Marschak from Kiev. We all know who Marschak was (...the Fabergé of Kiev...) and the outstanding quality of his products.

I do not like the following: the heavy weight (304 g), the rough structure and the blurry details. Moreover, I've never seen any product or model numbers on Marschak products.
Here are 2 examples of the outstanding quality you are used to from Marschak:

What is your opinion?

Regards
Goldstein
Qrt.S
contributor

Re: Marschak?

Post by Qrt.S »

The podstakannik is not Marschak quality and far from outstanding quality as you also have noted. The kokshnik is too blurry but I believe it is authentic. Anyway, is the RAO letter Greek ni? However, The maker's mark "I MARSCHAK" is faked and probably added later. Note that there is no dot between I and M.
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

His grand-grandson (a French plastic surgeon and businessman) opened jewelry shop in Moscow.
He collects whatever was made by his grand-grandfather but not very generous buyer according to Russian sellers.Complains about Ukraine bureaucracy permits to export old silver.
Every serious antique dealer is in contact with him and I would not be surprised if fakers are also involved.
The four digit engraved number on Marschak silver box.
Regards

Goldstein
contributor

Post by Goldstein »

Hi -

Sometimes we even agree ...

Regards
Goldstein

Return to “Russian Silver”