W. A. Bolin

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Goldstein
contributor

W. A. Bolin

Post by Goldstein »

Hi -

The house Bolin

When the tsarist family wanted to marry their grand duchesses at the end of the 19th and beginning of the 20th century and collect the dowry, they ordered the table silver from Fabergé and the jewelry from Bolin. This fact alone testifies to the trust in this house and the exclusivity of the orders.

The Bolins were among the oldest jewelery dynasties. Its seat in Saint Petersburg was founded by the native Saxon Andrei Rempler in 1796. He made the ascent to the court jeweler of the Emperor Paul I and Alexander I. His brother in law, the German Ernst Jan and the Swede Karl Eduard Bolin, continued his work. The name of the latter was preserved by the manufactory until today. Shortly before the revolution, one of his descendants, Vasily Bolin, decided to open a branch in Bad Homburg in Germany, at that time a popular destination for the European aristocracy. Equipped with some patterns and designs, he set off.

Лоток

But then World War I broke out and Bolin stayed in Europe. On his return via Stockholm, he agreed with a Swedish banker to found a jewelery business, the opening of which was attended by the Swedish King Gustav V. A year later, the Russian Revolution announced. The Petersburg manufactory closed its operation. But the Swedish branch of Bolin still supplies the Swedish royal family with jewelery.
The jewelry from Bolin was known for its exquisite and high-quality texture. In 1870, when the jewelers were honored again with an award from the All-Russian Exhibition, it was said in the dedication: "For the perfect purity of the jewelery, the artful matching of the stones and the fine design of the patterns during the long existence of the company." Unfortunately for this reason, very few of their works survived the revolutionary years, and the Bolsheviks tracked them down, equipped them with the requisitioned books of business, and then disassembled the stones and sold them one by one Diamonds hung on diamonds and large beads had once been made for Grand Duchess Maria Pavlovna, wife of Alexander III's younger brother.

Яйцо на подставке
Конца XIX - начала XX веков
After the revolution, it was brought with the help of British diplomats from Russia. Then it was acquired by Queen Mary, the wife of George V and grandmother of today's Queen.

Back in Stockholm he started again - this time much more modest and simple.

The good times were gone!

Regards
Goldstein
AG2012
contributor

Re: W. A. Bolin

Post by AG2012 »

This partly explains the fact that there are so few things of Bolin company.

Revolution was particularly ruthless for jewellery with precious stones. They were primarily subject to confiscation. Prince Felix Yusupov gathered gangs of revolutionary sailors who "hung a necklace of pearls and diamonds on their hairy breasts, and their hands were covered with rings and bracelets"

Ref: Князь Феликс Юсупов. Перед изгнанием 1887–1919. М., 1993. page.196.

N.E.. Vrangel in his memoirs describes a colorful couple who went to the Faberge store - the Red Army soldier and his "lady", the former cook: " Her hat is stunning sable, thousands diamonds,on the chest a whole jewelry store "

Ref: Врангель Н.Е. Воспоминания. Berlin, 1924. page.89.

But most of the jewelry was simply destroyed : large precious stones were removed from frames and sold, rims of gold, silver and platinum melted, converted into ingots. The most damaged jewelry was the property of the last Russian empresses Maria Feodorovna and Alexandra Feodorovna and other high personalities - the main customers of the company "Bolin". So, in the 1920s, a luxurious triple necklace of 453 pearls weighing 1,500 carats was sold and then disappeared without a trace, with a clasp fastening in the form of diamond horseshoes, made by Bolin in 1852.

Ref: Сведения предоставлены Л.Кузнецовой — старшим научным сотрудником Государственного Эрмитажа.
Goldstein
contributor

Post by Goldstein »

Hi -

maybe Qrt.S with his close connection to Ulla Tillander can organize some photos, old catalogues etc. showing some "normal" silver made by Bolin. In over 40 years I only found this spoon - made by someone else.

Regards
Goldstein
Goldstein
contributor

Post by Goldstein »

Hi -

the first fakes have arrived....

Regards
Goldstein
juantotree
contributor

Post by juantotree »

Hi Goldstein,

The 2nd image in your 1st post looks like a beautifuuly made item, do you know what its function was?

Martin
Goldstein
contributor

Post by Goldstein »

Hi Martin -

it is a candy bowl (Konfektschale, Anbietschale). The traslation for the Russian word "Лоток" is tray.....but it is a candy bowl.

Regards
Goldstein
juantotree
contributor

Post by juantotree »

What we English would call a bon bon dish?

Martin
Goldstein
contributor

Post by Goldstein »

Hi Martin -

The Russian upper class spoke French and was francophone in every respect. What they stored in the bowl depends on their personal taste. Some examples: biscuits, chocolates, sweets, business cards, hairpins, stamps, coins, blah, blah ....
I do not know.

Regards
Goldstein
Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

@Goldstein
I have forwarded your request to UTG. However, I don't think she has any "special" material regarding Bolin in Moscow. Her main interest is Fabergé, but I'll revert to the matter as soon as I get an answer from her (She is traveling a lot, so it might take some time). Anyway, mission accomplished.

Return to “Russian Silver”