Kiddush Cup

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
DBinSV

Kiddush Cup

Post by DBinSV »

In case it helps to know, the height of the cup is 2.125 inches/almost 5.5 cm. The diameter at the top is 1.75 inches/4.5 cm. The diameter at the base is almost 1.25 inches/3 cm.

In addition to the marks on the underside, I am also interested in learning the meaning of the mark below the rim, as depicted in the photos. (I tried using this site’s reference pages, which are extremely informative, but have been unable on my own to figure things out entirely.)

Thank you.

Goldstein
contributor

Re: Kiddush Cup

Post by Goldstein »

Hi DBinSV -

more a guess:

Kasan 185?
assayer: Surovtsov, Wasilij M. 1850-1862

Regards
Goldstein
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Hi,
For Russian marks see here:
http://www.925-1000.com/Frussia.html

The mark bellow the rim looks like ``84`` struck twice. Russian 84 zolotniki standard is 875.
All marks are very badly struck.The assayer`s mark BC (VS) for 1857.Then ``84`` again but town mark far right is beyond recognition.
At 5 cm it`s a vodka cup.Beware of Judaica description elsewhere. Kiddush cups are supposed to have an inscription in Hebrew or at least something engraved to confirm it was used for wine (not vodka) by a Jewish family etc. But being lucrative, everything is described as ``Judaica``.
The cup is of average quality.
Hopefully assayer`s initials will be recognized and compared with what`s left of the town mark on the right.
Regards
DBinSV

Post by DBinSV »

Many thanks for these very enlightening comments, which are most appreciated!
Dad
contributor

Post by Dad »

Hi.

It's trivial moscow cup

Return to “Russian Silver”