Looking for some info re:markings

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
BK1885

Looking for some info re:markings

Post by BK1885 »

I am in possession of this spice box. It appears to have no makers mark (that i can find) but does have the silver standard (and something else which i cannot identify) and the assayers mark. I guess I am wondering if it's a fake or if it is actually as old as this stamp would have me believe. I did not purchase it so it isn't a loss for me one way or another. I am grateful for any info that anyone could share.
Thanks!
-Ben

Juke
contributor

Re: Looking for some info re:markings

Post by Juke »

Hi!

A good decision not to buy. These are very commonly faked judica objects with poor quality casting of silver parts and marks which resemble nothing close to an authentic marking.

Regards,
Juke
Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

Be really happy that you didn't buy this Jewish spice tower called besamim. It is a guaranteed genuine fake like Juke already told you! The vast majority of judaica object offered on the internet market are fakes. When looking at this spice tower and its marks, you don't need more than a fraction of second to identify it being a lousy fake, so poorly are the marks "copied".
Take an advice on new years eve: Don't ever buy or even think of it if you don't know what you are buying. In addition, study and learn how genuine Russian marks look like and when they were used! Doing this will save you lots of money.

We usually don't talk about fakes here, but in this case I find it necessary to say something. Please find below left a photo of a real kokshnik mark used 26.3.1908 -1917/26. Now compare it to the crappy mark on the besamim.

Moreover, note the kokshniks dating and look at the year mark on the besamim. What do you see? By only these simple checks and some knowledge you have identified a fake on the spot! By the way, the besamim's quality is...cannot use the word here.

Happy New Year to you BK1885
BK1885

Post by BK1885 »

Thanks for all the info, I really appreciate it!

Return to “Russian Silver”