Matchbox holder

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
madej

Matchbox holder

Post by madej »

Hello.
I have a samorodok matchbox. The letter on the mark is illegible(ALFA ? St.Petersburg) the hallmark of the silversmith is ИА ? Ivan Arkharov ?
Regards.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Qrt.S
contributor

Re: Matchbox holder

Post by Qrt.S »

Hmm, the marks are quite a smudge, but yes alfa for St. Petersburg and possibly Ivan Arhanov 1895-1917. He made cigarette cases so why not matchbox covers too? But the initials can also beИА, ИД, ИЛ, НА.....МA......who knows?
madej

Post by madej »

Hi. Qrt.S
Thanks.
Yes, the hallmark are not clear and there is no certainty. However, we can not exclude Ivan Arhanov .
Regards
Goldstein
contributor

Post by Goldstein »

Hi madej -

Matchbox covers were very popular in Russia and elsewhere in a certain timeperiod. All possible surfaces were used.....several models and measures were available.
Archarov Iwan A. is a well known maker of cigarette cases and matchbox covers in samorodok technique - he was also a supplier of Morozov.
Here some photos for your better understanding:

Regards
Goldstein
madej

Post by madej »

Hi Goldstein
Thanks.
Is the hallmark of the Arhanov equal with dots as in the case of this cigarette case of Morozov?
Regards
Goldstein
contributor

Post by Goldstein »

Hi madej -

I am since over 40 years a passionate collector of Russian silver (enamel, lacquer, niello) and my collection contains well over 1000 objects - paper mache and cutlery pieces not counted. I'm not saying this to boast - but to say that during that time I've learned many things that are not in any books.
There are manufacturers who had to renew their punches not only because of the wear in the course of their professional life - but also for reasons of the optics. I can show punches of the most different manufacturers, which have changed in different years partly light - partly clearly. That would require the posting of countless photos - that's honestly too much work for me! In the respective literature usually only one punch is shown - without the year of issue etc.
Collectors are aware of this problem that can sometimes occur and check exactly.
Using the example of the Morozov cigar box, one can say / suspect the following:
The manufacturer is known for making cigarette boxes (among other things). Samorodok was a fashionable innovation at that time and was made by many. Either Archarov used a newer punch - this punch was only used for products delivered to Morozov - or it is someone nobody knows. Very unlikely! Anyway, everything fits together completely - fortunately Morozov tolerated the punches of the respective manufacturers on the goods sold by him under his name.
There are countless examples of this kind.
The more you see - the more you know!

Regards
Goldsten
madej

Post by madej »

Thanks Goldstein
Regards

Return to “Russian Silver”