Silversmith ID

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
madej

Silversmith ID

Post by madej »

Hello.
I am asking for identification of the silversmith because I have no access to literature over the weekend. What is this bowl for? Is that Bratina? Samovar drop bowl?Weighs 370grams
Regards
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
AG2012
contributor

Re: Silversmith ID

Post by AG2012 »

Hi,
Александр Матиссен Христофорович

Regards

madej

Post by madej »

Hi AG2012
Thank you.
I read that Александр Матиссен Христофорович
produced samovars, so it is a bowl for a samovar?
Regards
madej

Post by madej »

One more thing, which means the inscription in the cartouche?
Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

A samovar's drip bowl in silver...hmmmmm!? The initials on the bowl are very difficult to interpret because they are not ordinary Cyrillic letters and not either Church Slavonic. They could be OT, but I'm not sure at all.
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Qrt.S A samovar's drip bowl in silver...hmmmmm!?
Yes, we are always suspicious when something rather uncommon emerges.
But there are sugar bowls of this form (cахарница) and when the handle is badly damaged and beyond repair, or missing, the easiest way to transform it into a lucrative and marketable object is to remove hinges and polish the rim.But that`s difficult to tell based on pictures.
In short, beware of rare Russian pieces, uncommon and seldom seen.
Regards
Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

On the nail AG2012, on the nail. However, we don't have any measures of the bowl. What is the diameter, may I ask? Here are some approximate values. If the diameter is less than 10-12 centimeter, it could be a "modified" sugar bowl. If it is more, it could be a "modified" confectionery bowl...

A samovar's drip bowl, as well as the samovar and the tray, are usually made of brass, copper, even nickel plated white metal, but of silver...could be, but...????? The drip bowl is usually bigger, around 20 centimeter.
madej

Post by madej »

Hi Qrt.S
Hi AG2012
Rhis bowl certainly did not have any handle like in a sugar bowl. Of course, the most samowara are not silver but also silver ones in the Russian Empire. The bowl was gold-plated as shown. Its size can be seen in the picture with the hand.
Regards
Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

Give the measures please (diameter). Well madej, Of course no signs are visible!. if you could see any signs of a possibly removed handle, it would be a really stupid master that removed it leaving marks of it.
Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

One more thing, why in the earth would a drip bowl be gilded? Note that a sugar bowl often is!
madej

Post by madej »

Hi. Qrt.S
I do not insist that this is a drip bowl from a samovar but it certainly did not have a handle. I can not give dimensions because I do not have it, I think about buying it. And what about the claim that it is a Bratina?
Regards
Aguest
contributor

Post by Aguest »

I have a bowl which is gilded and it is almost certainly a "waste bowl" for a tea service and not a sugar bowl or any other type-of-bowl ::
It is English sterling silver from Sheffield England, so it is not Russian, but additional research might uncover gilded waste bowls from Russia....? :::
Aguest
contributor

Post by Aguest »

Oh wait, is the "Samovar Drip Bowl" sometimes called a "Waste Bowl" even though one accompanies a Samovar and one accompanies a Tea Service? ::

Return to “Russian Silver”