Russian chapter in Miller's Encyclopedia of World Silver Marks

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Qrt.S
contributor

Russian chapter in Miller's Encyclopedia of World Silver Marks

Post by Qrt.S »

Warning!
I was very happy when I acquired Miller's Encyclopedia of World Silver Marks...but only for a short moment. When I started to read the chapter about Russian silver marks, I hardly couldn't believe my eyes. I found incorrect, insufficient and error after error.....in an almost new book!? Then I found a clue. The information resembles very much another known book. i.e. Watts' book: Russian Silversmith's hallmarks 1700- 1917. My advice to all of you readers is that do not pay too much attention to the text in the Russian chapter. It contains a lot of misleading information and errors. I hesitated a long time before I wrote this input, however, I found it necessary. Anyway, if you like to learn about Russian hallmarks, use other sources, e.g. this site.

I repeat, this warning relates only to the Russian chapter. Nonetheless, I noted that the chapter regarding Finland is correct.
Qrt.S
contributor

Re: Russian chapter in Miller's Encyclopedia of World Silver Marks

Post by Qrt.S »

...and of course this link: https://www.925-1000.com/Frussia.html
Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

...and reading more...and suddenly remembering an old thread, this one: viewtopic.php?f=47&t=30971&p=77148&hili ... ard#p77148. Case Jens/Johannes S. Guess what, in Miller's books is written incorrectly Jens Sigisgaard (vol II, p 505.) instead of Johannes Siggaard. ...heaven knows what what I will find when continuing the reading...??????

But some good news too. In many books the Danish guardein Christoffer Fabricius 1749-1787 is a certain of his punches attributed to Fredrick Fabricius 1787-1823. In Miller's book it is corrected, excellent!

Sorry, out of topic. This is not a Russian case.
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Qrt.S thank you for writing book review.
It seems most of the data are collected from editions and sources known to us,nevertheless, good to have it all in one place.
Regards
Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

After reading more I share AG2012's opinion. No new researching is done, nothing new in vol II. Its content is unverified collected from earlier known books with all their mistakes and faulty information. Just take a look at the source list on pages 988-994. What a shame!

Return to “Russian Silver”