Morosov fork

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Goldstein
contributor

Re: Morosov fork

Post by Goldstein »

Hi Qrt.S -

you missed that I am speaking about a "chiffre" - the English translation is "cipher"and gives a different sense. Chiffre is French.
This forum is English speaking - so you have to write in English.
Everybody in the world who is interested in antiques (independent of his nationality) knows the French word "chiffre" and its meaning.....

Once again:
Chiffre (Cipher: a symbol is used with encrypted meaning. Reference is not clearly recognizable. The meaning of the symbol is revealed only - and also the most difficult - out of context). I know that you have a problem to understand what I wrote - lack of knowledge and experience....A forum is always a place to learn!

In the hope that you will understand what a chiffre is - here some more photos with clearly seen "chiffres". Tip: read some international auction catalogues and you will find the word "chiffre" in different contexts but always with the same meaning.

Regards
Goldstein
Goldstein
contributor

Post by Goldstein »

Hi Qrt.S -
Aguest wrote:I failed to understand "(the monogram with crown is particularly suitable)" in the context of the sentence, I thought I remember seeing a post where the member asked if the monogram was original or not, but now I cannot locate that question :: I enjoy the monogram style from Russia and I have sometimes seen a similar style in Holland and Denmark as well ::: This particular fork has a sort of "royal cipher" type of monogram where the two sides of the monogram are symmetrical when bi-sected down the middle, I have seen this style in England, but I cannot recall seeing it on a Russian piece, that is why I find the monogram interesting ::::
Even "Aguest" recognize a "royal cipher".......

When will you too know what a royal cipher is?

Regards
Goldstein
Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

@Goldstein
Look it up and stop acting like a goof. A royal cypher is a monogram. THEY ARE SYNONYMES, got it!
Goldstein
contributor

Post by Goldstein »

Hi Qrt.S -

It simply stands out: whenever you do not understand the context or are wrong - you become failing or offensive.
Try to stay civilized - this is a public forum - that has no interest in your sensitivities or your hurt vanity. Swear words are completely out of place here!

Unfortunately, some people are incapable of resolving disputes in a mature and professional manner. It becomes a full time game and distracts the visitors from letting the forum be what it is intended to be - a congenial gathering place for fans of Russian Silver.

Under these circumstances, I am completely out of place here and will not participate in the future with contributions. Maybe if a separate moderator for the Russian forum is found and puts you in your place, further participation would be possible.

Regards
Goldstein
Aguest
contributor

Post by Aguest »

That is interesting, there is more to the "cipher" than I originally understood, really I thought it was only an intricate, bi-laterally symmetrical subset of the general category "monogram" which when accompanied by a crown can be called a "royal cipher" :: But now I see that ciphers can have further meaning which is only understood by the person who commissioned the engraving and perhaps his/her immediate family members ::: I always wondered why these ciphers were so extremely detailed and intricate, and I see that they convey more information than I realized until now :::

I'm here on this forum to learn, and I sometimes make mistakes, for myself learning about Russian Silver is the most difficult category of knowledge to master, but I think for that same reason it is the most rewarding when I learn something new and finally understand it ::

Thanks to everyone who took their valuable time to help me on this forum ::: Now I can take my small amount of knowledge and hopefully increase it and use it to help someone else :

Return to “Russian Silver”