Help with identifying hallmarks on this beaker, plz?

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Atlas
contributor

Help with identifying hallmarks on this beaker, plz?

Post by Atlas »

Hello,
Help would be appreciated with identifying the hallmarks on this beaker ( height: 6.7cm, diameter: 6.3cm, weight 63.6gr ) if you please?
( Minsk? Kamenetz-Podolskiy? Warsaw?...With Polish import marks / the mark with number 2 and a letter W?...Puzzled :O )

Regards,

- Atlas -
Qrt.S
contributor

Re: Help with identifying hallmarks on this beaker, plz?

Post by Qrt.S »

It is a Polish vodka or a kiddush cup with two sets of marks ,old and new marks. The lower set carry the old marks. From left: The maker's mark (SH), unknown to me. The fineness mark 84 zolotniki (875/1000) and Warsaw's town mark , the double headed eagle. The last mark to the right ???? no idea, but my guess would be a trade mark. The mark 84 is an individual mark implemented by the silversmiths in Warsaw on the request of their customers in mid 19th cent. Remember that Poland didn't exist 1795-1918, it was a part of Russia, Prussia and Austro-Hungarian empire.

The upper set of the owl and the woman's head with 2W are the independent Poland's new silver marks from 1920-1963. The owl is called Lombard mark, a mark for pawn or used items. The woman's head is the official Polish control mark for 1920-1963. The figure 2 stands for the fineness of 875/1000 and W for Warsaw.

Let's hope somebody else can identify the maker and the mark to the right (cannot know it all...;-)))
Atlas
contributor

Post by Atlas »

Thanks a lot (once again) Qrt.S for sharing your knowledge regarding this cup. It clarified this dilemma for me very much.
Best regards,
- Atlas -
Ubaranda
contributor

Post by Ubaranda »

Hello!
The maker is R. Hertz Szyldberg (RHS) from Warsaw. He was known in 1850-1870. His trademark is "scale".
Regards.

Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

@Ubaranda,
Yes, of course it is him, the maker's mark is up side down. How stupid of me not to realize that....tok, tok, tok!
Nice doing Ubaranda!
Atlas
contributor

Post by Atlas »

@Ubaranda
Thank you for this precise information. Could not have hoped for anything more. Just humble for the wide scale of information some do possess and share here in this forum :-)
Best regards,
~ Atlas ~

Return to “Russian Silver”