Moscow 1864 spoon with niello reverse

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
silverfan
contributor

Moscow 1864 spoon with niello reverse

Post by silverfan »

This rather heavy spoon (77 g, 18cm) with round bowl is, I think, made by Ivan Egorov (PL 2487) and assayed by Viktor Savinski (PL 2111). I would like that someone could confirm this and could tell me what is shown on the reverse of the bowl.
Regards silverfan

AG2012
contributor

Re: Moscow 1864 spoon with niello reverse

Post by AG2012 »

Hi,
Looks like Emperor Alexander Column in St Petersburg.Not unusual to have it depicted on a Moscow spoon;The monument was raised after the Russian victory in the war with Napoleon's France,therefore being of national importance.
Regards
silverfan
contributor

Post by silverfan »

Hi AG2012,
thanks for your quick answer.
On the top of the Alexander column there is an angel with a cross and the column is situated in front of the winter Palace. On my spoon is no angel with a cross and the buildings do not look like the winter Palace. So I suppose it to be a place in Moscow. Do you know a similar column in Moscow?
Is my identification of Ivan Egorov right?
Regards silverfan
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

So, what`s on top of the column ? There is one column with double headed eagle in Moscow.
Maker`s mark is a perfect match although mentioned a year later in PL than your spoon, but I think it makes no difference.
Regards
silverfan
contributor

Post by silverfan »

Hi AG2012,
I examined my spoon under a magnifying glass and I recognized a bust of a man on the top of the column neither an angel nor a double headed eagle.
Regards silverfan

Return to “Russian Silver”