SPOON

Denmark, Norway, Sweden, and Finland
PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
philo

SPOON

Post by philo »

Hi. Could anyone help me identify the type, style, maker and perhaps origin of the spoon

Image Image

ImageImageImage
JAKJO
co-admin

Post by JAKJO »

As a Swede I say that the spoon looks Danish to me, provincial, two maker´s marks and about 1800. The inscription AJS could either be Danish, Norwegian or Swedish. It is actually a man´s name perhaps Anders Jensen (Anders Jens´ Son).

I´m sure there will come a helpful Dane soon, answering your questions regarding the nice spoon.

Hope this helps!
JAKJO
co-admin

Post by JAKJO »

Looking att the inscription once again I see that it looks like conjoined "S" as in Son and "D" as in Daughter- husband and wife- and perhaps a marriage spoon.

And looking att the engravings, I will guess that the laurel "ribbon?" in the middle is done about 1800 but the spoon and the other engravings can be from the mid-18th century.
philo

SPOON

Post by philo »

Thank you Jakjo - the information you have provided is much appreciated.

How I am lucky enough to own a Scandinavian spoon in the first place is an absolute mystery to me. The silver I am fortunate to have has all been passed to me from my Grandmother, who has Irish heritage.

More digging is definitely required.
josstrom

Post by josstrom »

I have to agree with what JAKJO has already said.Spoon looks like ca. 1750.And belongs more to the Danish/Norwegian tradition than the Swedish.To bad that the marks are worn.They have to many possible readings to be sure of anything.But I did look through my books on Denmark and Norway.And no goldsmiths mark I looked at really stod out and struck me as being the one on this spoon.But what a charming piece,I have several Swedish spoons from the same time period,what history!
JAKJO
co-admin

Post by JAKJO »

The former Danish duchies of Schleswig and Holstein could be another possibility regarding double-struck maker´s marks.
Hose_dk
contributor

Post by Hose_dk »

when I saw it yesterday I did not look it up because - mark looked german to me. Today I turned i 180 degrees - and it is a D.

it is not that old Hans Dreyr born 1831 citienship 27.4-1857 dead 1911 -
he har repaird church silever among other - so this is most likely a copy of an old spoon.
JAKJO
co-admin

Post by JAKJO »

Hose and josstrom, have a look at Anders Hansen Daugstrup Nyborg born 1790, master 1813, goldsmith in Odense 1821, died 1858 mark 2432.
Hose_dk
contributor

Post by Hose_dk »

in my edition page 127 and 154
his mark is clearly an A inside a D
Frankly I dont see the A inside. whereas Dreyer has a plain D in a cirkel mark 4530 page 150

I agree that the mark in question does not seem to be in a circle - but the A is definetly not there.
JAKJO
co-admin

Post by JAKJO »

This is an excerpt from Chr. A. Bøje, Danske Guld og Sølvmærker før 1870. Politikens Forlag 1954 page 223 and I am referring to mark 2432.

The form of the badly worn mark looks like this one and I disagree with Hose that it is probably a copy. I would rather say that the provincial silver for a peasant market was conservative as the example with the almost medieval-looking Norwegian beaker is an example of.

http://www.925-1000.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=15171" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Hose_dk
contributor

Post by Hose_dk »

It is a copy - the spoon looks baroc around 1720 to 1780. That is not the case in either maker.
I still dont see the A - where is it in the mark that is on the spoon ? not the book.
Hose_dk
contributor

Post by Hose_dk »

and quating Bøje

josstrom

Post by josstrom »

I also turned the mark around and I think we are looking at it the right way.Could the first letter be an E in script?I considered that possibility but still couldn't find any Norwegian or Danish mark that came close.I know that some parts of especially the Norwegian peasantry were conservative in their taste in silver.And I could agree to it being second half 18th century.But I shouldn't think it to be any later than that.
JAKJO
co-admin

Post by JAKJO »

I agree with you that we are dealing with a spoon that is most truly made in the 18th century. But I am apt to say that the possibility to find a matching, known Danish or a Norwegian maker seem fruitless.

I hope that someone with the reference works concerning silver in Schleswig-Holstein will have a look!

I did some comparing and I do think that the mark contains another letter.

Hose_dk
contributor

Post by Hose_dk »

You cannot expect a full match. Shape of cartusch supports the other mark.
Shape of D supports the mark that I suggest.

Bøje does not have all marks. He has a selection. Masters have had several other marks - marks not registret. Because Bøje has not fund them - if a new edition was made - the number of marks would grow.

I have a spoon that documents that tax mark with naturalistic signs was used earlier than suggested by Bøje.
JAKJO
co-admin

Post by JAKJO »

I agree with you Hose that Bøje is not complete and I know that my edition is not complete, but I am actually not content with the matches.

Perhaps we have found a new not until now known mark, but who is the maker. I feel that it is a genuine spoon and not a copy. But I wish to see similar Danish, Norwegian or spoons from Schleswig-Holstein.
josstrom

Post by josstrom »

And I agree with you JAKJO,it seems fruitless.I don't think we'll be able to find an exact match.The marks are just too worn.But let's consider that philo stated that he/she was of Irish descent.It would make sense that the spoon would be Norwegian,what with the exstensive timber trade from there to the British Isles including Ireland.But I think we'll have to settle with stating that the spoon most likely is Scandinavian,and made in the 18th century.
Hose_dk
contributor

Post by Hose_dk »

No
When I suggested a later copy it was based upon my idear of a later maker. The spoon is baroc i.e. around 1720 onwards. What suggest copy late 1800 is the identification of the mark.

In case that it is unknown mark - the look and shape of the mark support 1720 - 1780? (I suggest up to 1780/1800.)
JAKJO
co-admin

Post by JAKJO »

Sorry Hose, I misunderstood you. Then I think that we agree about the origin and dating.
JAKJO
co-admin

Post by JAKJO »

I found a good database The Norwegian Museum of Cultural History
http://www.primusweb.no" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Search «spoon silver» = Søk på «skje sølv»

And an example:

http://tinyurl.com/chvepy" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hope this helps!
Best regards/JAKJO

Return to “Scandinavian Silver”