maker and pattern? Danish sterling

Denmark, Norway, Sweden, and Finland
PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
edselpdx

maker and pattern? Danish sterling

Post by edselpdx »

I know this is danish silver; the dates on the set (under the castle mark)indicate 1932-1943. The superimposed S and J are the inspector's mark. Who is the superimposed H and S??? I don't think it's Hans Siiger by the few pieces I've seen attributed to him. How much sterling was being produced in occupied Denmark in the early 40's? A bonus question... does anyone know what the pattern is called? It's clearly a stylized lotus, but I bought the set at a junk store, and they had no clue what it was (or that it was sterling, based on the price.) I've been looking off and on for 15 years for this info.

I appreciate you assistance in advance!
Sonya
dragonflywink
co-admin

Post by dragonflywink »

The pattern is indeed Lotus, by W. & S. Sorensen of Horsens, Denmark. Brothers Winther and Sofus Sorensen founded Horsens Sølvvarefabrik in 1904, and I've seen the HS mark attributed to that company, but haven't been able to verify it. Your silver is at least 826/1000 fineness, sterling would be 925/1000. My understanding is that silver production was reduced after the German occupation in 1940, but the Danish government had kept many of their industries going. Your latest date of 1943 fits in with the rise of the Danish resistance movement, which brought labor strikes (with resulting economic effects), active sabotage, and general unrest.

Cheryl ;o)
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

http://www.hardandsoft.dk/bestikhistorie.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
dragonflywink
co-admin

Post by dragonflywink »

Thanks for the verification, Tom! Hate to state anything as fact, if I can't back it up.

Cheryl ;o)
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Cheryl,
Thanks for putting a name on the mark, I couldn't have gone hunting for it without that and have now added it to the H page of Danish Makers.
Best, Tom

Danish Makers - H
dragonflywink
co-admin

Post by dragonflywink »

Teamwork! Isn't the internet a wonderful thing?

Cheryl ;o)
edselpdx

Thanks!

Post by edselpdx »

Wow, that was fast. Thank you SO much. I have all the pieces I need, and use it regularly, but it's nice to know exactly what it is! Now to learn Danish to read that page...
Sonya
Hose_dk
contributor

Post by Hose_dk »

I speak danish and read it too. So in case you need translation I can help.

Return to “Scandinavian Silver”