Match case by Georg Jensen, designed by Harald Nielsen

Denmark, Norway, Sweden, and Finland
PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
DebL

Re: Match case by Georg Jensen, designed by Harald Nielsen

Post by DebL »

Wow, Cheryl, thank you!
My local library didn't have anything on Jensen; and yes, even used copies of the Drucker and Taylor books are pricey online. I didn't know about WorldCat.org - will definitely check it out. Pulled up a good list of refc's that are available via inter-library loan from Smithsonian; will be checking w/ my library to see if they can request some of them (fingers crossed).
http://tiny.cc/GJ_smithsonian
http://tiny.cc/GJ_smithsonian2

I found a full text copy of "Georg Jensen: an artist's biography (1921)" by Laurits Christian Nielsen, here:
http://www.archive.org/details/georgjensenartis00niel

My first objective is to substantiate whether or not the "GJLD" and "GJLtd" marks were strictly import sponsor's marks for the Georg Jensen Ltd retail store in London, and/or whether there were any authentic, vintage Georg Jensen charms & bracelets that were made in England under license or other approval from Georg Jensen Silversmithy A/S in Denmark, that were stamped with these marks instead of the Danish Georg Jensen marks; and if so, in which years these charms were made.

A related question is whether or not any Jensen Denmark-made charms & bracelets were imported by the London store, that did not bear one or more of the Danish Jensen hallmarks.

After that, I'd like to compile as much documentation as I can find, of the company's history and the evolution of the charms and charm bracelets it produced. I haven't yet found anything on the subject.

Personal knowledge and examples of ads, like the ones you and oel posted, old catalogues, articles, oral history or records from family members and within the company, and other unpublished info would be a treasure to find.

Love your username BTW.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Question for the Admin/Mods - my posts have really shifted the original topic. Would it be OK to start a new thread titled ["GJLD" and "GJLtd" Georg Jensen Ltd marks - authentic charms and bracelets?] I do have photos of 2 charms I could post.
If so, could we start it with oel's post on Sun Jul 15, 2012 5:46 am and move all the posts that followed it? The ancillary posts re: AG2012's photo of the fake marks on Silver Dish # 1077 are also very helpful if it helps make the thread easier to follow. Thanks for all the time you give to this forum. ;)
oel
co-admin

Post by oel »

Hi Debl,

So far no reply from the Georg Jensen shops, perhaps due to the holiday season. Go ahead and start a new thread. Please give it a clear heading. I am sure a new George Jensen topic will be enjoyed by the forum & make contributors to react, to benefit all members.

Best,

Oel
Hose_dk
contributor

Post by Hose_dk »

AG2012 wrote:Hallmarking of Danish silver safeguards exports
``Georg Jensen A/S and the Danish Assay Office have signed an agreement on the hallmarking of gold and silverware intended for export to the UK``
``The hallmarking of precious metals undertaken by the Danish Assay Office at FORCE Technology is done according to the Convention of
my comment of no assay office was not sopposed to mean that they acted not legal. But a comment of the fact that they wanted the Gj to be a proven trademark. Guarantee the authentic work.
Design is made in Denmark - production done in accordance with design and quality measures done by GJ.

However the time period is not within my knowledge so the inormation is very interesting.
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Yes, this is so true; design and quality. Was the concrete for The Sydney Opera House made in Denmark? No. Do we care who made the concrete? No. But it is Jørn Utzon we know. As long as GJ standards are met, we should not pay much attention if silver is made elsewhere. Still, I like to see ``Sterling Denmark``.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

I'm really not sure what to make of this one:

Gorge Jensen - New York - 1912

GORGE JENSEN, and the incredibly early date of 1912.

This advertisement appeared in The Alantic Monthly - July 1912

Trev.
dragonflywink
co-admin

Post by dragonflywink »

Well...in 1912 that address was the store location of large art supply retailer and manufacturer E.H. & A.C. Friedrichs Co., they were active in the arts community and would guess that perhaps they were acting as agents for Jensen. Drucker notes in 'Georg Jensen, A Tradition of Splendid Silver, 2nd Edition', that in 1912 Jensen had moved to a larger workshop, opened a retail shop, and was considering expansion to London, Paris, and New York after considerable success in Germany after the 1909 opening of The Danish Silversmith shop in Berlin (which sold Royal Copenhagen porcelain and Georg Jensen silver).

~Cheryl
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi Cheryl,

Thanks for that. It was by far the earliest mention of Jensen in the States that I ever came across.

I'm sure you've seen this before, but for those who haven't, some interesting background regarding Georg Jensen Handmade Silver Inc. can be found here:

https://www.leagle.com/decision/193522179f2d1421172

Trev.

Return to “Scandinavian Silver”