Match case by Georg Jensen, designed by Harald Nielsen

Denmark, Norway, Sweden, and Finland
PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
AG2012
contributor

Match case by Georg Jensen, designed by Harald Nielsen

Post by AG2012 »

Match case designed by Harald Nielsen, hand engraved, 2.5. inches long.
Georg Jensen mark used 1933-1944,as well as `` 925 sterling Denmark`` and design,serial number 39.

Most of Georg Jensen silver was not marked with ``three towers of Copenhagen``, but there was always ``Sterling Denmark``. Has anything changed? Yes and this post is about it. There are genuine Georg Jensen items not made in Denmark, marked with ``dotted oval`` and ``925 S sterling``, even designer’s initials. A European country where silver is being made is not relevant, but reliable sources helped me to trace it. What is the difference? There is no ``Denmark`` and the price is lower. Is this important? Depends what we think about global economy; as for myself — I like to see ``Denmark``.
Hose_dk
contributor

Re: Match case by Georg Jensen, designed by Harald Nielsen

Post by Hose_dk »

I dont understand your question.
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Georg Jensen silver is being made outside Denmark, at least some I have seen.There is no doubt about it.And fully hallmarked with ``dotted oval`` and ``sterling S silver`` even with Henning Koppel ``HK`` initials.Not fakes - legally made outside Denmark.
Just wanted to warn - if there is no ``Sterling Denmark`` it is not made in Denmark.
DebL

Post by DebL »

AG2012 wrote: There are genuine Georg Jensen items not made in Denmark, marked with ``dotted oval`` and ``925 S sterling``, even designer’s initials. A European country where silver is being made is not relevant, but reliable sources helped me to trace it. What is the difference? There is no ``Denmark`` and the price is lower. Is this important? Depends what we think about global economy; as for myself — I like to see ``Denmark``.
Would you kindly post your sources of information (links, reference citations, consultations, etc.)?
I think which European country is entirely relevant.
When did the Georg Jensen Denmark firm start producing these items outside of Denmark?
Where is it being sold?
Is there documentation of a Georg Jensen license for manufacturing and in which country and company? Or did the Denmark firm open another facility in another country?
Are you aware of items being produced in Malaysia or other Asian countries?

Thank you.
oel
co-admin

Post by oel »

Hi Debl, welcome to the forum.

For all questions regarding Georg Jensen, I advice you to contact; onlinestore@georgjensen.com
Or visit the George Jensen webpage; http://www.georgjensen.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"
The Georg Jensen shop will provide you with detailed answers.
For older George Jensen pieces you may be redirected to; antiques@georgjensen.com
Please note the information I received by email from George Jensen Antiques; all past George Jensen silver products can still be made today. Furthermore, there is no records of when or how many products that were produced. Today's products will be marked with the George Jensen maker's mark (used 1945), with or without designers initials and without any date reference

Best,

Oel.
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Silver Dish # 1077
LEAF
Henning Koppel
Made in Italy, sold by Georg Jensen dealers.
Cannot tell if at Amagertorv 4, too, probably not.
As four sources — how could I possibly reveal them? The people kindly warned me not to buy.I do the same.
Res ipsa loquitur the mark speaks for itself — there is no ``Denmark``
oel
co-admin

Post by oel »

Hi,
"The thing speaks for itself" fake Jensen Mark, but I have forwarded the image to the George Jensen shop and wait for reply.
Will keep you informed.

Oel.
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Well done - we will have a reliable info,I hope.Georg Jensen A/S and the Danish Assay Office have signed an agreement on the hallmarking of gold and silverware intended for export to the UK.But it may be more complicated with the ``global economy`` issue. Royal Copenhagen acquired Georg Jensen in 1972. Today, Royal Copenhagen is a part of a group of Scandinavian companies, Royal Scandinavia, together with Georg Jensen, and is owned by the Danish private equity fund, Axcel. In April 2008 it was reported that Royal Copenhagen was moving nearly all of its production to Thailand
What if the silver is legally made elsewhere?
Hose_dk
contributor

Post by Hose_dk »

there is no assey office in denmark, and no regulation.
The 3 towers mark is even not made anymore.
Georg Jensen and other big silver companies did not use the official halmarks. They wanted their own mark to gurantie the quqality.
Thereby also using other materials.
DebL

Post by DebL »

Thank you OEL! I have used this great site many times. 925-1000.com and silvercollection.it are my two "go-to" sites. I've read the posting requirements and photo upload instructions, and hope to contribute when I have something to offer. ;-) I hope this post isn't too long... kinda got carried away... I almost started a "GJLD and GJLtd" thread...

I'm an avid collector of antique and vintage sterling silver charms and charm bracelets (still learning). I've recently been researching the Georg Jensen company history, and the "GJLtd" and "GJLD" import sponsor's marks used by the Georg Jensen Ltd retail store in London. Any comments, corrections, etc would be appreciated.

I've only searched the web so far, and compiled a list of annotated links for the best online info and references I could find. I have not yet found documentation that explicitly clarifies how these marks relate to works produced by the Georg Jensen Silversmithy A/S in Denmark, or if any authentic, Jensen-licensed jewelry (including charms) was produced outside of Denmark prior to 1997.

There is confusion among less knowledgeable collectors and sellers about whether the "GJLD" or "GJLtd" marks alone, indicate authentic Georg Jensen charms and other jewelry. Some online sellers are selling vintage charms and bracelets bearing either of these marks, as authentic Georg Jensen jewelry, stating that they are maker's marks. Some claim that the charms were made in Denmark and the London store stamped them "GJLD" or "GJLtd" as the maker's mark. According to one dealer, imported sterling silver items weighing less than 7 grams are not required to be hallmarked in the UK. Others claim that the charms were made in London by the Jensen store under a license from the Denmark company.

I've found no documentation for either scenario. However, I *have* seen alot of sterling charms with the "GJLtd" and "GJLD" marks (sans Jensen Denmark marks), that don't look anything like vintage Scandivavian jewelry, much less Jensen jewelry. I seriously doubt that Jensen's Denmark smithy made St. Christophers (cheapo versions), or bucket, guitar, driver's license and can-can dancer charms!

Based on my review so far, my understanding is that:
  • --- The London shop that opened in 1921, was strictly a retail outlet for the Jensen firm in Denmark, under the purview of Jensen's retail sales company "Georg Jensen & Wendel Inc.", not his production company, "Georg Jensen Silversmithy Inc."
    --- The store imported charms and other jewelry from a variety of sources, all of which were stamped with one of the store's import sponsor's marks, "GJLD" or "GJLtd", as well as authentic Jensen jewelry from Denmark (which bore one or more of Jensen's Denmark maker's marks in addition to the sponsor's marks).
    --- Prior to at least 1997, all of the Georg Jensen company's jewelry was produced in Denmark.
    --- Unless the jewelry bears one of the Jensen Denmark firm's maker's marks, it is not an authentic Jensen piece. This would seem to be supported by the fact that in 1945, the Danish firm disavowed all association with its New York retail store, and began adding the Wendel-Jensen Sterling Denmark stamp to its works, after the New York shop began contracting and selling American-made "Jensen style" works under Lunning's newly formed company, Georg Jensen USA.
So, if prior to 1997, no Jensen pieces were produced in London and all authentic Jensen items bear the Denmark firm's marks, then "GJLd" and "GJLtd" must've been import marks for the Georg Jensen Ltd store, and not maker's marks or hallmarks for Georg Jensen Silversmithy A/S.
  • --- From 1972 - 1997, the Denmark smithy went through several takeovers and mergers before becoming part of the Royal Copenhagen group (Scandinavia Ltd.?) in 1997.
Could one of those takeover companies have been British and made non-Scandinavian-style charms in London between 1972 - 1997? If so, can the same import sponsor's mark be used as an actual maker's mark?

One source (no citations) stated that when Jensen merged with Hans Hansen around 1991 and later with A. Michelsen (Andreas or Anton?), they all used the Georg Jensen stamp. If so, did Hansen and Michelsen items carry the Jensen stamp until Georg Jensen A/S became independent from Royal Copenhagen in 2007?

In all fairness, I think some of the confusion stems from busy folks checking a few webpages for an answer, and finding correct information but, lacking context knowledge, are misinterpreting it and not searching further. For example, even if you're familiar with the British hallmarking system, you might conclude from this page that the London store manufactured Jensen jewelry:
Once I discovered one crucial little tidbit of info re: sponsor's vs. maker's marks on the 925-1000 British hallmarks page, some of the info I had previously found, made sense. This page is at the very beginning of my annotated links:
  • http://www.925-1000.com/british_marks.html
    comprehensive guide to the system of British hallmarks; notes that for imported items, the sponsor's mark (British importing firm) serves as the "maker's mark", but is not the actual maker; this is why import marks are listed on the London "Maker's Marks" page; the other import mark is the stamp by the assay office; actual maker's marks may also appear on imported items, in addition to the required import marks.
After reading that page, its a little easier to connect the dots (so to speak):
  • http://www.925-1000.com/jensen_marks.html
    all 10 of Jensen's hallmarks with dates; no GJ Ld or GJ Ltd shown; "The Copenhagen quarters were greatly expanded and before the close of the 1920's, Jensen had opened retail outlets as far ranging as New York, London, Paris, Stockholm, Berlin and Buenos Aires."

http://www.925-1000.com/dlLondon5.html#M
    London "Maker's Marks" by name, GG, shows GJ Ld and GJ Ltd, noted as Georg Jensen Ltd, usually with import marks (ie., assay stamp)

http://www.silvercollection.it/jensen.html
    Jensen is (correctly) not listed under English silver or British silversmiths, he is listed under Silversmiths and Factories, a listing of prominent non-UK silversmiths; 8 of Jensen maker's marks shown w/ dates, designers' marks w/ dates, brief history of "...the Danish silver company Georg Jensen"; includes London in statement re: retail stores, and no mention of a London smithy

http://www.silvercollection.it/EnglishsilvernameJ.html
    alphabetical listing (index) of British silversmiths' names, J, links to maker's mark images, Jensen is not listed

http://www.silvercollection.it/englishs ... XGDUE.html
    alphabetical listing (index) of British silversmiths' maker's mark images, by letter, GH-GL, Jensen is not listed
Thanks for your referral to the actual company site, georgjensen.com and the email addresses. Now that I've compiled some information, I am going to begin contacting people with expertise and posting to a few forums, to see if I can ferret out a definitive answer, with references.

Any and all thoughts, comments, corrections appreciated.
Thanks,
Deb

"Silver is the best material we have; gold is precious in value but not in effect. The character of silver is satisfactorily obstinate; it has to be conquered -- and then it has this wonderful moonlight luster, something of the light of the Danish summer night. Silver can seem like twilight, or when it dews over, like ground mist rising."
-- Georg Jensen, speaking on the occasion of his 60th birthday in 1926. From Georg Jensen, The Danish Silversmith by Jorgen Miller.
DebL

Post by DebL »

In April 2008 it was reported that Royal Copenhagen was moving nearly all of its production to Thailand
What if the silver is legally made elsewhere?
I'll take vintage/antique any day. The DNA has no patina.

http://www.georgjensen.com/us/about/strategy

...The design and product development of our silver business are mainly based on the treasure of our archives and developed in close cooperation with our private customers. ...

...For Jewellery, Watches and Living the design process is mainly carried out together with international or Scandinavian designers — and in close co-operation with our in-house design team. Our Seasonal category is designed in-house or in co-operation with Scandinavian designers. ...

...Our jewellery is crafted in our jewellery workshop in Thailand, watches are outsourced to watch suppliers in Switzerland and our Seasonal category is produced in our own workshop in Hjørring in Denmark. The silver pieces are all hand crafted by highly skilled and trained silversmiths in our silversmithy located at our headquarters in Copenhagen. Some silver cutleries are produced in-house in Thailand. The vast majority of our Living products are outsourced to partners in China — all selected by our own sourcing office located in China. ...

...Since 2007 Georg Jensen has worked on leveraging our jewellery business. The main focus has been developing a global jewellery assortment appealing to the international sophisticated jewellery customer and still being true to the DNA of Georg Jensen. Today the jewellery category represents 50% of our turnover and is our best established product category measured in financial terms. As the strategy for jewellery is well-defined and implementation is on track, jewellery is not defined as a Must Win Battle.

http://www.silversmithing.com/chinese_sterling.htm
Lots of fake sterling silver being imported from China by USA sellers. It is stamped .925 and/or sterling.
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Hallmarking of Danish silver safeguards exports

``Georg Jensen A/S and the Danish Assay Office have signed an agreement on the hallmarking of gold and silverware intended for export to the UK``
``Georg Jensen A/S and Dyrberg/Kern A/S now have their precious metal products hallmarked in accordance with convention by Ædelmetalkontrollen (the Danish Assay Office) to provide for their smooth export. ``
``The hallmarking of precious metals undertaken by the Danish Assay Office at FORCE Technology is done according to the Convention of the Control and Marking of Articles of Precious Metals. Hallmarking according to the convention is voluntary, but it means that goods which are marked with the recognized CCM hallmark can be sold freely in many other countries including EU countries without additional checks. ``

http://www.forcetechnology.com/en/Menu/ ... rgkern.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi DebL,

Welcome to the Forum.

No, your post is not to long, and never could be, as we always appreciate added information.

My knowledge of the history of Georg Jensen is scant, but if you are researching the firms history, then the two advertisements that I have posted below may be of interest. Published in 1921,they show that George Jensen was represented in the States by a company styled as Royal Copenhagen Porcelain and Danish Arts Inc. I do not know if this firm was owned by Royal Copenhagen, or was an independent concern, but if they were owned by RC, then it shows the long running relationship which finally resulted in the merger in 1997.

Trev.
DebL

Post by DebL »

...There are genuine Georg Jensen items not made in Denmark, marked with ``dotted oval`` and ``925 S sterling``, even designer’s initials. ...

...Not fakes - legally made outside Denmark. ...
Sorry AG2012, your post confused me. I didn't understand your comments about genuine (ie., authentic) Georg Jensen A/S items being made outside Denmark .. how was that related to the photo of the fake marks on the dish from Italy that you posted?

But thanks for posting the photo - it is really helpful to see these fake marks. The "J" and "N" do look to be a bit different in the photo, than those on the real post-1945 mark.
DebL

Post by DebL »

Thank you Trev! (for both the welcome and the photos) Very interesting.... because everything I've read so far say that Lunning first went to New York in 1923 when he sold out the entire collection at the Waldorf Astoria Hotel, then opened the New York store on Madison Ave in 1924. It later moved to 5th Ave.
http://www.gjsilver.org/life.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.jensensilver.com/news-info/g ... nbio.shtml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.jckonline.com/1996/06/01/mys ... jensen-usa" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.answers.com/topic/georg-jensen" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

hmm... was there another Jensen retailer before Lunning??

Deb
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Yes, I checked the dates for these advertisments, and they are correct, they appeared in several different publications in 1921.

This one appears to be even a little earlier, although I've not double-checked this one, I have in my files as appearing in 1920:

There was also an exhibition held at the Art Center, New York from the 1st until the 30th of November 1922:

THE SILVERWARE OF GEORG JENSEN

THE New York Society of Craftsmen is very happy to announce an exhibition of one of its members, Georg Jensen.

Georg Jensen's silverware, on view in the Main Gallery throughout the month of November, is recognized as being among the finest examples of craftsmanship produced in this age. It has been exhibited in the capitals of Europe, where it has won the highest praise from critics and public alike. It was awarded the Grand Prix in an exhibition at Brussels, and took this honor in another exhibition at Copenhagen. Mr. Jensen has had the rare distinction of having some of his work purchased by the Louvre Museum, and last year he was made an honorary member of the Paris Salon without censorship.

To quote Emile Seyden, the famous French critic:

"Georg Jensen has not limited his talents to grand ornamented objects only: his ideas seem in the first place to be to beautify the home and all the small articles used every day and he seems to devote the same attention to the smaller things as to the more important ones. His secret lies in his understanding of the intimate connection between the artisan and the artist; it is the experienced artist's sense of expression and form which has secured him such a fine position among our best artisans.
"Georg Jensen chooses to make our useful things beautiful.
"Cups, spoons, saltcellars, teapots, sugarsifters– everyone of them–he has transformed to a little work of art; he refuses to let the machine spoil the lovely material, everything has been worked by hand, every little detail shows the artisan's love for his work. His forms are as simple and dignified and possess the same grace and noble line, as those of antiques. They combine modern convenience with the ancient grace and execution."

It is interesting to note that Jensen became a silversmith only after winning a medal with his sculpture.

Source: Bulletin of the Art Center, New York - November 1922

Trev.
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Hi again, DebL and everyone,
Is GJ mark I posted fake? We still don’t know, will wait for the answer by GJ at Amagertorv 4 shop.
Will they disclose they make holloware in Italy? Who knows.
As for jewelry:
`` Our jewelry is crafted in our jewelry workshop in Thailand``

I mean, what is the definition of ``genuine`` today if items are legally made outside the country? Very trivial parallel; is there any Levy Strauss jeans factory in USA any more? Is it ‘’genuine’’ jeans sold by LS & Co?
Global economy,if you ask me.
The question is, if we accept jewelry made in Thailand, shall we accept holloware made in Italy?
DebL

Post by DebL »

Thanks for the readout on the dates, and posting the ads from 1920 and '22. It just occurred to me that Jensen's works were already gaining popularity in the US before Lunning hauled his 2 trunk loads over in 1923 (duh!). His exhibitions throughout Europe were accumulating awards and accolades, and he was evidently a member of the New York Society of Craftsmen. Certainly, other companies, such as Royal Copenhagen Porcelain and Danish Arts, Inc., would have been importing and selling Jensen silver in the US. Jensen's sales company, Georg Jensen & Wendel Inc., began operations in 1918; perhaps they initially marketed to Royal Copenhagen.

[EXCERPTS - CHRONOLOGY DRAFT IN-PROGRESS]
http://www.gjsilver.org/life.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.jensensilver.com/news-info/g ... nbio.shtml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.ragoarts.com/more/news/georgjensen" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.jckonline.com/1996/06/01/mys ... jensen-usa" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
(and others)

["1916: ... company formed ... GEORG JENSEN SOLVSMEDIE A/S (GEORG JENSEN SILVERSMITHY LTD.) ... Georg Jensen Silversmithy Incorporated is established. ...to raise capital through the sale of shares in his firm.

1917: ...the share capital was increased four times the original issue, mainly through the capital put up by a Danish engineer, P.A. Pedersen ... and ..Thorolf Moller...

1918: ...a larger Silversmithy is built at Ragnagade 7, Copenhagen ...needed financing to upgrade orig retail shop ... Jensen, Nils Wendel and Thorolf Moller formed a joint stock company called Aktieselskabet Georg Jensen & Wendel... sales company Georg Jensen & Wendel Incorporated is formed. Shops are opened in Stockholm and Paris.

1919: ...P.A. Pedersen took over ...chairmanship of the Silversmithy Company and the Retail Company ...Thorolf Moller and Nils Wendel joined the board of the Silversmithy. Georg Jensen was a board member and artistic director of the silversmithy.

1920-21: ...production increased ... tough economic times...

1921: ...Frederik Lunning, gallery owner and salesman from Odense, Denmark is called upon to open Georg Jensen Solvsmedie retail shop in London ... Another bank goes bankrupt, and Georg Jensen loses everything he owns.

1923: ...Frederik Lunning's 1st trip to New York... sells out entire Georg Jensen collection ...exhibitions... at the Waldorf Astoria Hotel.

1924: Frederik Lunning opens the 1st Georg Jensen shop in New York. ... P.A. Pedersen becomes controlling partner and managing director of the Silversmithy (Georg Jensen Solvsmedie A/S)... Thorolf Moller becomes controlling partner and managing director of the retail operation (Georg Jensen & Wendel A/S). ...Jensen remains artistic director." ]
DebL

Post by DebL »

AG2012 wrote:Is GJ mark I posted fake? We still don’t know, will wait for the answer by GJ at Amagertorv 4 shop.
I was just going by oel's opinion. It looks fake to me, but I totally defer to oel and the others w/more expertise. I'm eager to hear what the readout is from GJ.
Will they disclose they make holloware in Italy? Who knows. As for jewelry:
`` Our jewelry is crafted in our jewelry workshop in Thailand``

I'm not sure that they *have* to disclose where their facilities are, but if they've stated that GJ has a jewelry factory in Thailand and outsources its Living products to China, I can't imagine why they wouldn't want to add Italy to the list of venues.
I mean, what is the definition of ``genuine`` today if items are legally made outside the country? Very trivial parallel; is there any Levy Strauss jeans factory in USA any more? Is it ‘’genuine’’ jeans sold by LS & Co? Global economy,if you ask me. The question is, if we accept jewelry made in Thailand, shall we accept holloware made in Italy?
I don't think *authenticity* is a question of which country the product is made in. There's nothing illegal about outsourcing manufacturing, per se. Its more related to the relationship between the patent or brand owner (GJ) and the factory. eg., if the shop or factory is licensed, contracted or owned by Georg Jensen A/S, and it makes the products according to GJ specs, then the products are "genuine" GJ. Just like your genuine Levi jeans that were made by a Levi-owned or licensed factory in Asia.

IMO, "fake" means the item is counterfeit; made by an entity that does not have a relationship with the brand or patent owner.

But *quality* is another story entirely! Fake items are usually lower quality, but authenticity doesn't always guarantee quality. That's one reason I'm so passionate about antique and vintage silver charms and bracelets. To my eye, old authentic is often superior to new authentic! Hence my search for a definitive answer re: the "GJLD" and "GJLtd" marks (described in my post yesterday).
dragonflywink
co-admin

Post by dragonflywink »

I have ads for Royal Copenhagen Porcelain & Danish Arts dating back to 1914, with the earliest reference to Georg Jensen in 1920, the 1919 ads found don't mention Jensen. It was a retail showroom, acting as representative for Royal Copenhagen and other Danish companies, the president was L. Bogenhardt Eskesen, when he died, his brother Eckardt V. Eskesen took over, they were both officers in the New Jersey Terra Cotta Co./Matawan Tile Co., founded by their brother-in-law, Karl Mathiasen (the manager of the store in 1913, Axel Løber, was previously a credit mgr. for NJ Terra Cotta). Don't believe there was any connection to Royal Copenhagen at that point, other than both being Danish firms, and never found that Lunning had any connection to the showroom either; as already mentioned, Royal Copenhagen acquired Georg Jensen in 1972 (they'd acquired Anton Michelsen in 1968, and then Hans Hansen in 1991 - believe, that as of a few years ago, silver is no longer produced under those names).

Deb - if you're researching Georg Jensen, might recommend reading some of the various books available. They're usually a bit pricey, but many are available at local libraries or through inter-library loans (often takes 2-3 weeks, or a bit longer if already checked out). I read both of the Drucker authored books a few years ago, suspect you might find them interesting; have also been meaning to read the Schiffer & Drucker book, Jensen Silver: the American Designs, about Jensen USA, but haven't gotten 'round to it yet; and haven't read Taylor's Georg Jensen Jewelry, but did look through it, seems to be well done (he also did the Silver Fund book on Jensen). Should be able to locate Jensen references through book sellers or through WorldCat.org for the library availability. Published references may also have errors, but those little bits of misinformation on the internet multiply and spread so rapidly.....

~Cheryl

1913 United States Danish Almanac, mentioning Danish silver objects, etc.:

1914 trade journal, L.B. Eskesen obituary:

1915 New York city directory:

Return to “Scandinavian Silver”