Danish silver spoon by Christian Rasmussen

Denmark, Norway, Sweden, and Finland
PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
AG2012
contributor

Danish silver spoon by Christian Rasmussen

Post by AG2012 »

Danish silver spoon made by Christian Rasmussen, crown jeweler, in 1893.It is 6 inches long. Marked on the bowl with silversmith’s name and three towers of Copenhagen with the year ``93``. Assayer’s mark ``SG`` of Simon Groth (1863-1904)
Hand engraved bowl and cast handle.
This is what I managed to decipher;correct me if I am wrong.
The front of the bowl: Virgin Mary with Jesus Christ and assassinated King Canute IV.
The reverse of the bowl: King Oluf I of Denmark.

Olaf I of Denmark (Danish: Oluf I Hunger) (1050 — 1095) was king of Denmark from 1086 to 1095. His elder brother Canute IV (later known as Canute the Holy or Canute the Saint) was killed in 1086 and Olaf was proclaimed king.
``The hunger of the people grew so great that they dug the earth looking for roots. The wealthy grew thin, and the poor died of starvation. Sickness and starvation soon visited great and small. In the first early attempts of getting Canute canonized, Oluf was given the nickname "Hunger" in order to magnify the splendor of Canute. At the time it was claimed that the famine was sent by God as divine punishment for the sacrilege killing of Canute``
The symbolism of the spoon is obvious; Virgin Mary holds Jesus Christ and assassinated Canute IV.
On the reverse of the bowl Oluf I has an ax instead of king’s scepter, standing over Canute IV, depicted with lion’s body. The inscription in Latin is ``God pray for ME`` (ora pro me), instead of common ``ora pro nobis``(pray for us)
The symbolism in the handle is less clear; only wheat sheaf can be recognized (possibly prosperity under Canute IV and hunger under Oluf I).
Pictures 3 to 5 had to be large enough to read the inscriptions - please, open them and try to read.Am I right about the symbolism? The spoon must have been made after an early medieval source.Why was it made in 1893? Possibly as mere reminiscence of the old days? Or did it have a particular purpose?
WarrenKundis
contributor

Re: Danish silver spoon by Christian Rasmussen

Post by WarrenKundis »

AG2012

Thank you so much for posting these images of your Rasmussen spoon. Your comments on its symbolic content were questions I also asked concerning a Vilhelm Christesen Baptismal spoon, also referred to as a christening or Chrism spoon. The bowl like yours portrays the Christ child, Virgin Mary, and John the Baptist in the same format.

The reverse is actually Norse king Olaf II Haraldsson 995-29 Jul 1030. The battle ax Saint Olaf is holding as the patron Saint of Norway is a symbol of his martyrdom. Have examined a number of early church statues in wood and stone in an effort to understand exactly what or who he is standing on. Many of these images show the exact same face with the same crown on both heads. It is my opinion that this christen king is standing on his younger pagan self.

Now the imagery on the stem is more challenging, under the portrait head I see what looks like Saint George slaying the dragon or Saint Michael overcoming Satan. The objects underneath appear to be a flail, hand, ax, whip, etc. Objects of purification?

The Latin on the 1881 Christesen spoon is the same as yours. The stem is very different, a ribbon topped with a crown that appears to bear an inscription in old Norse.

I hope that this is useful.
Warren
Hose_dk
contributor

Post by Hose_dk »

It says DOMINI on back

Front is
Maria hjelp meg af alle mine nød og bewar meg fra den ewig dom

The w and in some cases e are not Danish could be norwegian.
However it reads

Mary help me in all my need and save me from eternal jugment.

Made in a period where renaissance items was needed in the masters room.
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

WarrenKundis and Hose_dk
Thank you both for being kind.
The spoon is the only item by Rasmussen I have. It seems he was a good silversmith; heavy gauge and hand engraving. I wonder if his workshop still exists.
Regards
WarrenKundis
contributor

Post by WarrenKundis »

AG I agree, it's a fine example.

Hose,

May I ask you to have a look at the additional script on the Christesen spoon which appears as:

I + VEL + OG + VEE + GUDS + VILLIE + SKEE +

Would appreciate any information you can provide.

Warren
Hose_dk
contributor

Post by Hose_dk »

WarrenKundis wrote: I + VEL + OG + VEE + GUDS + VILLIE + SKEE +
I am not sure where that stands?

I ve og vel guds vilje ske (Danish version of the norwegian text) it should be. Translation -----uuuups.

its like "for better or for worse"
the last part og the sentence "guds vilje ske" = The lords will (we leave all to god and let him descide. What he wants to happen happens)

I ve og vel = Means when we are well and everything is right
Our state of mind.

Does this make sence? Oyherwise we try Again.
WarrenKundis
contributor

Post by WarrenKundis »

That script is wrapped around the stem on the 1881 Vilhelm Christesen spoon that I own. The images of the Virgin and Saint Olaf are exactly like AG's above.

And yes to a Catholic that makes perfect sense. Other ways of saying that would be "all is as God wills it" or "God's will be done." The last line concerns our acceptance of God's will.

Thanks you Hose, I had been scratching my head over its possible meaning.

A very good day gentlemen,
Warren
Hose_dk
contributor

Post by Hose_dk »

WarrenKundis wrote:And yes to a Catholic that makes perfect sense. Other ways of saying that would be "all is as God wills it" or "God's will be done." The last line concerns our acceptance of God's will.
all is as God wills it - Yes thats the last part. The beginning Refers to the situation of the individual. His/hers well behavior.
leuss

Post by leuss »

Hello, I have now this nice danish silver spoon from 1869, with the same images and text
leuss

Post by leuss »

pictures

WarrenKundis
contributor

Post by WarrenKundis »

That is very interesting Leuss,

The Vilhelm Christesen example I have dated 1880 is almost exact to yours except it is in a satin finish like the Rasmussen above. Can you show us a close up of your makers mark?

W
Hose_dk
contributor

Post by Hose_dk »

One is for sale at http:/www.qxl.dk item 804468964
I know we dont advertise auktions but noone here will buy at a local danish auction, so I take the chance. Please delete if inappropiate . Its not mine :-)
leuss

Post by leuss »

WarrenKundis wrote:That is very interesting Leuss,

The Vilhelm Christesen example I have dated 1880 is almost exact to yours except it is in a satin finish like the Rasmussen above. Can you show us a close up of your makers mark?

W

please

leuss

Post by leuss »

this one is very nice too and right to this topic

AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Another maker, described as:
``Pair of 800 Danish Silver Spoons in the style of Christian Rasmussen. Approx. 5.75'' L. Weight: 129 grams. The front of the bowl: Virgin Mary with Jesus Christ and assassinated King Canute IV. The reverse of the bowl: Norse king Olaf II Haraldsson 995-29 Jul 1030. The battle ax Saint Olaf is holding as the patron Saint of Norway is a symbol of his martyrdom.``

N.B. ``in the style of Christian Rasmussen``. The difference in quality is obvious.
newbieGburg

what are these loops?

Post by newbieGburg »

I have a similar spoon and was wondering what these loops on the handle are for. There are two loops and they do not line up with one another. Also, I would appreciate knowing more about the maker's marks and this spoon in general.
Thank you very much.
you can't see the maker's marks but it's a 3 turret castle, AEE and what looks like SS
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Hi,
Welcome to the forum.
There are letters in ``loops`` (parchment scroll) on the handle,try to decipher starting from top. Letter by letter.
Images of the marks are blurred: the oval mark looks like assay master Simon Groth and three tower mark is Copenhagen, two numbers indicating year.
Take a look here:
http://www.925-1000.com/dm_Assay.html
Cannot read maker`s mark. Three letters, what are they?
Sharper images are appreciated.
Regards
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Maker A.E.E. should be A.E. Eddelien who worked in Copenhagen 1893 - 1937.
newbieGburg

Post by newbieGburg »

So the loops are just a decorative part of the scroll? It makes sense now that I look at it. Thank you!
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Hi,
Yes, decorative motif. Scrolls (ribbons) are used in heraldry (``columns surrounded by a ribbon``).
See Coat of arms of Spain.
Regards

Return to “Scandinavian Silver”