Huge 585g Handled Server? Help w/ Old Hallmarks

Denmark, Norway, Sweden, and Finland
PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Tipton444

Huge 585g Handled Server? Help w/ Old Hallmarks

Post by Tipton444 »

This is probably one of my nicest silver finds. I need help from all the nice people on this forum! This piece is in amazing condition, and believe it to be pretty old, but I can't figure out the hallmarks. I don't usually deal with pieces this large (585 grams), so any extra information would be incredibly helpful The front cartouche scene appears to have been gold plated. There's hallmarks on the lid, and the bowl portion itself, as well as the number 44-3/4 carved in on the bottom. On the inside of the lid is also a jagged line hallmark. The initials are PZ, and the first hallmarks looks to have 3 parts to it, stars? Is it old? Or very old? What is the exact name for this style serving boat? Thank you all so much. -Eric

(admin edit - see Posting Requirements )

The candle holder was just for a size comparison.
huszas76
contributor

Re: Huge 585g Handled Server? Help w/ Old Hallmarks

Post by huszas76 »

Hello!
It looks from Sweden:
http://www.925-1000.com/Fsweden_Date_Code.html
Maybe some of the skandinavian contributors can help more!
Best regards!
Krisztián
Francais

Post by Francais »

The maker has already been posted before.
http://www.925-1000.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=34791
Maurice
Tipton444

Post by Tipton444 »

Wow! Thank you so much Krisztian! Am I reading this right, N2 is 1795, holy crap! I thought it was old, but not that old... Maurice, the link you gave sent me back to my own post, where can I find the post on this maker? Thank you very much -Eric
Francais

Post by Francais »

sorry,
This is it:
http://www.925-1000.com/forum/viewtopic ... ehr#p70872
And you are right on the date.
Maurice
Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

Pehr Zethelius is a rather famous Swedish silversmith. He was born 10.11.1740. He worked as journeyman with his uncle and became master 2.5.1766. He marked 1766-1784 and 1791-1810 in Stockhom. The reason for the gap is that he got caught for swindling in lottery and had to leave Stockholm for a few years in order to have people to forget him and the case, then he returned. Zethelius died 8.7.1810. The head mark is the town mark of Stockhom. It is Saint Erik, Stockholm's saint. Pieces made by him can be found all over Sweden. All of good quality. Yes, N2 is the year 1795. You have managed to find a fine piece made by Zethelius.

Return to “Scandinavian Silver”