Can you tell me what the marks are? Danish Silver

Denmark, Norway, Sweden, and Finland
PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Granny6

Can you tell me what the marks are? Danish Silver

Post by Granny6 »

am brand new, so I apologize in advance for any errors in this post. I have enlarged this piece several times and I can't tell what the "marks" are. Anyone out there with better eyesight than mine? Its about 7 1/2" long, some type of serving piece I believe.
Thank you in advance
Barbara
ImageImage
dragonflywink
co-admin

Post by dragonflywink »

Your marks are upside down and even with enlarging them, can't see the detail. The three-tower mark (indicating at least 826/1000 fineness) should have a two-digit year mark, the other smaller oval mark should have the initials of the Danish assaymaster whose years of service should correspond to the year in the three-tower mark. The maker is Carl M. Cohr. Perhaps it's a small pastry server?

Cheryl ;o)
Granny6

Post by Granny6 »

Thank you so much
Granny6

Dragonflywink...your suggestion

Post by Granny6 »

about being upside down was helpful ! Duh I was able to turn it the correct way ( that made a difference) cleaned a little with a toothbrush, and found 27 under the 3 towers. Still trying to figure out the assay initials. But now I know Carl M Cohr is the maker and it gives me more info to keep looking for the pattern name. With Danmark printed on it I doubt it was a silverware pattern all engraved Danmark tho..

Question...Should I try cleaning all the black off this piece? and what is best to use?
Thank you again

Barb
Hose_dk
contributor

Post by Hose_dk »

The last mark is the Guardeins mark. He tested the silver and in 1927 Huis name was Christian F. Heise
His mark is a cirkel with a large H with a C in the top and a F at the bottom. Does your mark look like that?

you should defenitely remove the black. Just use a simpel silver polish. Nobody wants silver looking like that. You cannot use it. And silver is for use not for display.
At least not silver from 1800 or 1900 (and most of 1700) that silver is for use. After all yours is quiet new. And it is a nice piece of silver. It should be used - not put in some dark place waiting for what?
Granny6

Hose_dk

Post by Granny6 »

Thank you...yes the Guardians mark is Lrg H with C and F

And I definitely will clean it up. Thank you so much for your help.

Barbara

Return to “Scandinavian Silver”