1919 Swedish (possibly Danish) cigarette case

Denmark, Norway, Sweden, and Finland
PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
pyanepsion

1919 Swedish (possibly Danish) cigarette case

Post by pyanepsion »

Hi all,
We found this in my deceased grandfather's home and it's a bit of a mystery. The monogram probably means my great-grandfather Niels Thorell, a hatter of Malmö. The engraving reads: "Till minne - 1/5 1917 - 31/10 1919". We'll never know how or why the dates are significant.
Due to the inside colour I've been assuming it was plated silver, but some more research has led me to reconsider which is why I'm posting here.
The stamp reads: 830 S H:L (at least in my interpretation).
The Swedish side of the family has strong Danish ties, so it's difficult to determine who the maker could be; I've been browsing the Internet without much luck. Would anyone happen to have any information on how and where this could have been made, possibly even the maker? I would be very grateful!
Qrt.S
contributor

Re: 1919 Swedish (possibly Danish) cigarette case

Post by Qrt.S »

Well I can tell you that they are not Swedish irrespective of the "S". You mention Malmö so Denmark is most likely alternative 1. Unfortunately Danish makers are poorly registered. About half of them are unknown to name. I have no idea who this H:L might be, sorry. Alternative 2 is Norway, but I don't think so. Lets stick to Denmark until somebody else comes up with a better alternative.
pyanepsion

Post by pyanepsion »

Thank you Qrt.S.
Is there a reason why Malmö would indicate Danish production and not Swedish?
The inscription is in Swedish, for reference.
The HL could be either H:L or H.L. (perhaps more likely?) I've tried to google 830 S and a lot of Danish alternatives seem to be coming up, but also a lot of silver-plated which has me confused. I thought normally a stamp indicated pure silver and not plating.
Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

Take a look at the map. Malmö is on the opposite side of the strait of Öresund where Copenhagen is also located. There is a daily heavy traffic between the neighboring cities. In addition, there is nothing Swedish in the marks. Among other things the cat's paw is missing.
Yes, the inscription is in Swedish but that has nothing to do with the objects origin. You can engrave anything on anything but silver marks cannot be punched like that. Plated objects can carry marks, but those marks are unofficial having no standard whatsoever. The silver marks are official marks in most countries. Your cigarette box is definitely not Swedish but possibly Danish as I already mentioned.
Hose_dk
contributor

Post by Hose_dk »

if Danish could be H. Larsen - Korsør 1893 - 1937
or
H Christensen - Ringsted 1893 - 1937

the 1893 just tell that they where active in 1893 or earlier.
pyanepsion

Post by pyanepsion »

Update - the case is definitely Swedish! I can't believe I missed this, but there's a cat's foot together with a hexagon-encircled S on the case's clasp.
So, back to square 1 on identification, I suppose!
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

How is anyone supposed to help if the original images have been removed?

Trev.
dragonflywink
co-admin

Post by dragonflywink »

From what I can see on my phone, your new pic shows a Swedish import mark - as Trev suggests, your images should be replaced and left in place, if expecting any further assistance...

~Cheryl
pyanepsion

Post by pyanepsion »

I don't know why the original images have disappeared, that's unfortunate. Is there any way I can distinguish an import mark from a production mark?
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Hi,
The Swedish three crowns mark, called "cat's paw”, has a distinctive shape. Three crowns in an oval would mean import mark (as already suggested). One cannot determine anything based on this image.
There seems to be one more mark, half of it hidden under the lid.
Are there really no more marks to show?
Cheers
pyanepsion

Post by pyanepsion »

Thanks for your input. Looks very much like an import mark then - I've seen the regular cat's foot many times and (though I can't get a good photo without my loupe) it is definitely a cat's foot within one oval as opposed to three intersecting circles. So we can assume Danish producced. Re-inserting images (830 - S - H.L.) and hoping they stick this time.
The second mark on the clasp appears to be damage, not a stamp. I can confirm this once I get my loupe back.
Hose_dk
contributor

Post by Hose_dk »

no reason to doubht import mark - that easy to identify.

If we assume Danish http://www.925-1000.com/denmarkH.html
HL would be H. Larsen from Korsør

Till minne is as to remember.

Return to “Scandinavian Silver”