PM Serving Spoon

Denmark, Norway, Sweden, and Finland
PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Aguest
contributor

PM Serving Spoon

Post by Aguest »

I have seen similar style marks and shell-motif spoons from Philadelphia circa 1840.

Aguest
contributor

Re: PM Serving Spoon

Post by Aguest »

Could an administrator delete that Advertisement for Detergent? I have absolutely no idea how it got into my uploading process. I really don't see how that image got in here.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi Aguest,

I've replaced those images, you should not get any more trouble now.

Trev.
Aguest
contributor

Post by Aguest »

Peter Mood Sr. of Charleston South Carolina sometimes used a [PM] mark but I can find no recorded example of this hallmark, only the MOOD.
Aguest
contributor

Post by Aguest »

You know, now that I look at the pics, the P looks like a J also. At first I couldn't decide if it was a P or a J. Now it looks like a combination of P and J.
Interestingly, Peter Mood Sr. had two sons who were named Peter and John. Perhaps the hallmark is in honor of his two sons, which he artistically incorporated into the first letter of his own silver hallmark. The plot thickens.
Aguest
contributor

Post by Aguest »

The Fiddle Shell was invented by Peter Mood, and was the first decorative applied motif on American Coin Silver, does this make sense?
wev
contributor

Post by wev »

Aguest wrote:The Fiddle Shell was invented by Peter Mood, and was the first decorative applied motif on American Coin Silver, does this make sense?
I will need some very strong documentation to accept that statement.
Aguest
contributor

Post by Aguest »

Yes, I read it on a Charleston South Carolina heritage website where "fiddle shell" rings were being made for sale, so it could be weak documentation.

"The Fiddle Shell is the first introduction of decorative elements applied to American silver flatware by Peter Mood Jr and John Ewan. In 1823, they formed a co-partnership at 203 King St where they produced gold jewelry and silverware."

That was the quote from the Charleston South Carolina heritage website.
wev
contributor

Post by wev »

I suspected as much. By the time of Mood's partnership, shell, thead, and shell/thread patterns were all well-established and had been for close to two decades.
Aguest
contributor

Post by Aguest »

The time-frame of the fiddle shell motif aside, we know Moody made fiddle-shell spoons similar to this example, this we know for a certainty.
Does anyone have the book on Charleston South Carolina silver by E. Milby Burton? In that book it might have the Rectangular PM Hallmark that we are trying to find in order to match this [PM] with any recorded Moody spoon with a {PM} rectangular hallmark.

Is this spoon even American? Could it be German?
wev
contributor

Post by wev »

German/Danish/Dutch would have been my first guess. The shoulders are very atypical for an American spoon, as are the general proportions and bowl shape.
dragonflywink
co-admin

Post by dragonflywink »

Moving this to 'Other Countries' for more exposure. For what it's worth, I question the first letter being a 'P' - the top stroke appears to be pretty much even on both sides, I'd probably read it as a 'T'...

~Cheryl
R ingo
contributor

Post by R ingo »

Hello,

I think, it is the mark of Peter Petersen Mollerup from the city Viborg in Denmark (Bøje, Køberstaederne, p. 204).

Best regards, Ringo

dragonflywink
co-admin

Post by dragonflywink »

Looks good to me, Ringo (and obviously a 'P')...

~Cheryl
hoon1970

Post by hoon1970 »

Hi, hopefully I do this right, I have a American Silver Co. Spoon & in length its 6 1/2. There is no other markings, just a vague minor flower I believe that replicates itself on front side only at the edges. Any ideas if srerling or plated? Thank You.

I'm not quite sure how you post photos but maybe somebody will know on just the brief description.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi,

Welcome to the Forum.

Please start a new topic with images in the Silver-plate section.

The below should help you:

How to Add Images

Posting Requirements

and: http://www.925-1000.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=42199

http://www.postimg.com is recommended. Embedded images get a far greater response than just posting links.

Remember to use the 'Preview' button before submitting your post.

Trev.

Return to “Scandinavian Silver”