Are these forks from Stockholm 1757?

Denmark, Norway, Sweden, and Finland
PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Joerg
contributor

Are these forks from Stockholm 1757?

Post by Joerg »

Dear forum members
I got these forks the usual way... (from scrap). Using Tardy, French 22nd Edition, I note the marking looks like Sweden, Stockholm, with the date letter for 1757. But I also note a Swedich import punch from after 1912. And the oval "C&B" mark looks also newer, and punched so strong it is visible on the other side. See the red circeled area.
What do you conclude? Old Swedish forks? And if yes, why the later punching? All suggestions are welcome
Regards, Jörg

Qrt.S
contributor

Re: Are these forks from Stockholm 1757?

Post by Qrt.S »

Yes, old Swedish silver forks (830/1000) from 1757 and made by Lorens Stabeus 1745-1778 in Stockhom. The control mark is not a later Swedish import mark even if it seems to look like that. The frame is actually hearth shaped. It is a rather common Three Crowns hallmark or "cat's paw" implemented during the latter part of the 18th century. The punched CvB mark is punched by the owner as well as the engraved "L" . Actually, I believe that the "L" is later added, but...? Who CvB and L is, is indeed a good question and the answer is a close to "mission impossible" to find. Anyway, a nice finding being from the scrap box, congratulations having your eyes with you :-))))).
Joerg
contributor

Re: Are these forks from Stockholm 1757?

Post by Joerg »

Thank you for your Reply.
It feels good saving some old items.
Regards, Jörg

Return to “Scandinavian Silver”