Unusual Late 18th Century? Scandinavian Tablespoon

Denmark, Norway, Sweden, and Finland
PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
WesternPA
contributor

Unusual Late 18th Century? Scandinavian Tablespoon

Post by WesternPA »

Hi All,

I would really love to know more about this spoon - did a piece like this have a particular name, or purposes? Was it made for certain special occasions, or as a gift? I am not even certain what country it originated from, much less the age or maker. Any information would be interesting!

R ingo
contributor

Re: Unusual Late 18th Century? Scandinavian Tablespoon

Post by R ingo »

Hello,

it was made by Peter Hansen I from the city Tondern in southern Denmark. Such kind of spoons I only know from there.

Best regards,
Ringo
R ingo
contributor

Post by R ingo »

here is another interesting example of this such late 18th century spoons, also made by the same maker:
SteveDWollongong
contributor

Post by SteveDWollongong »

Hi WesternPA,

I too have a spoon made in Tondern which was identified by Ringo a while back as being made by Paul Hansen. It is a little later than yours and so I assume Paul might be the son of Peter? Ringo is this correct?

My spoon was given as a wedding gift which apparently was traditional in this area at the time. I understand that these wedding spoons tended to be quite large(mine is 400mm or 16in in length).As I note bows engraved on yours I would suggest it may also have been a wedding gift spoon. Is yours also larger than a usual table or serving spoon?

see http://www.925-1000.com/forumviewtopic.php?f=47&t=43976

Cheers,
Steve
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Steve's link appears to be broken. I believe this is the topic he is referring to:

http://www.925-1000.com/forum/viewtopic ... 6&p=126297

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Just to muddy the water a bit, could this be a reference to the same man? Or same family?:

PETER ANDREAS HANSEN, born at Tondern in Schleswig, on the 8th of December, 1795, was the son of Nikolai Hansen, a prosperous gold and silversmith of that town. Young Hansen attended the town school, where he learnt the elements of Latin and French, and showed special aptitude for mathematics and physics. After his confirmation he chose watch-making for his calling, and went to Flensburg to serve his apprenticeship in that business. He soon distinguished himself by his skill and ingenuity in mechanical construction, and then set to work on his own account at mathematical studies. His circumstances, and also his father's wishes, were opposed to his ardent desire to study at a University; and he therefore at the end of his apprenticeship returned home to his parents, and in the year 1818 began his wanderings. He first passed some months in Berlin, where he found some occupation under a master who was one of a French colony settled there, and in whose family he acquired some familiarity with the French language. At the end of the year 1819 he returned to Tondern, and settled down in his father's house as a watchmaker...............................

Source: Proceedings of the Royal Society of London - 1877

This Peter Hansen later found fame for his work in astronomy.

Trev.
SteveDWollongong
contributor

Thanks Trev. Appears my address bar is truncating the URL which is a bit of a problem.

Your info on Peter Andreas Hansen is interesting. Looking at the date on the photo of the spoon uploaded by Ringo, this Peter Hansen wouldn't have been born by about 2 years. I'll wait and see if Ringo has any additional info.

Cheers,
Steve
R ingo
contributor

Post by R ingo »

Hello,
all this spoons were made by Paul Hansen (1753-1830). He used different "PH" marks.

His son Peter Andreas Hansen (1786-1855) was also goldsmith in Tondern. His mark was "PAH"

Paul Hansens nephew, the son of the goldsmith Nicolai Hansen, has got also the name Peter Andreas Hansen (1795-1874). He became a famous astronomer in Gotha /Thuringia.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Andreas_Hansen

Stierling, Goldschmiedezeichen Altona bis Tondern, p. 313 ff., Bøje, Sønderjylland, p. 43 ff.

regards,
Ringo
Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

Let's simplify it a bit :
Peter Hansen *1713, master 1744-1756 (PH). He has two sons
1) Nicolay Hansen *1755, master 1790-1835 (NH) who has a son Peter Andreas Hansen 1795-1874, the famous astronomer.
and
2) Paul Hansen *1753, master 1785-1830 (PH), whose son is also by the same name of
Peter Andreas Hansen *1786 master 1836-1855 (PAH) He worked with his father at Uldgade 14 in Tønder.
Peter Andreas (the person above) has a son
Paul Hansen * 1840, master 1865-1922 (P.HANSEN)

Easy to mix all Hansens :-))))!
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Thanks to Ringo and Qrt.S for the clarification.

Trev.
Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

A minor addition. The Danes would write Pauls name as Povl.
SteveDWollongong
contributor

A big thankyou to Ringo and Qrt.S :) :) :)

Steve
WesternPA
contributor

Post by WesternPA »

Hello All,

Thank you very much for the great information! I thought this piece might be from Denmark given the ship-like hallmark, but I lack many of the reference books for that part of the world. This spoon measures about 8 1/2 inches (approximately 21.5 cm) and weighs about 54 grams. I don't know if it was a gift piece as there appear to be no owner's initials or any dedication inscription engraved. Again, thank you all for the enlightening information. I just couldn't help buying this piece given its interesting look and style!

WesternPA
WesternPA
contributor

Post by WesternPA »

I am learning now that during the period this spoon was made, and through the 1920s, the town of Tondern (German name) was part of the Duchy of Schleswig, specifically Northern Schleswig. It appears one could argue this spoon as either Danish or German!

Return to “Scandinavian Silver”