Origin uknown, spoon

Denmark, Norway, Sweden, and Finland
PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Qrt.S
contributor

Origin uknown, spoon

Post by Qrt.S »

A friend of mine asked me if I know the origin and maker of this spoon. Unfortunately I didn't. Does anybody know anything regarding this spoon? What I can see from it is that it is from the first half of the 19th century but that's all. Moreover, is it silver?
bstaunto
contributor

Re: Origin uknown, spoon

Post by bstaunto »

The HX could refer to Halifax, Nova Scotia (so Canadian). But the marks are cruder than I have seen on Canadian pieces, and I don't think any used the flower punch seen in the middle. It also doesn't look very North American to me, but might be somewhere to look.
Ben
Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

Thank you, but I share your opinion that it doesn't look American to me either. It seems to be an unsolved mystery for the moment.
R ingo
contributor

Post by R ingo »

Hello Qrt.S,

at first - I have no idea.
But I would suppose, that your spoon could be made under stylistic influence of scandinavien 19th century spoons like this: https://digitaltmuseum.se/011023727865/ ... Matsked%22 or this: http://www.925-1000.com/forum/viewtopic ... nd#p131340 . I think the style is called "Gammal franske".
But of course you have much more experience in this region than me.

What do you think about the right mark? Are this latin or kyrillic letters? If latin letters, in what country a family name beginning with an "X" was usual? Or could it be a faulty roman 12 (XII) upside down for 12 Lot like here: http://www.925-1000.com/forum/viewtopic ... ens#p52964 ? I dont think this because I only know one region where this was common.

Kind regards,
Ringo
Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

Hello R ingo

Nether do I have any ideas. That is the reason why I am asking this question :-)))))))
Anyway, yes I have noticed that the pattern has many similarities with the mentioned Gammalfransk (Eng. old French) also called Palmes Svedois. This still rather popular rococo pattern, however, is not only of Swedish design but also commonly used in Europe already in the late 18th century as I wrote in the other thread.

The right mark is rather confusing with its HX. I don't think they are Cyrillic letters since I cannot recall any country where Cyrillic letters are used using marks like this. I have one thought and that is that the spoon is made by a "Bönhase" somewhere. Therefore the marks cannot be found. In case somebody doesn't know what a "bönhase" is, a short explanation below.
A bönhase is a goldsmith who is not a member of any guild. The word "Bönhase" is most likely derived from the German words "Bön" and "Hase". Bön means loft and these "illegal" craftsmen were working in secrecy in hideaways like lofts. Because if they were discovered they were hunted like hares, "Hase" in German. If they were caught they were severely punished even prosecuted. True or not, who knows?

Anyway, they marked their work with fantasy marks that looked like real marks. Unfortunately there are no registers regarding bönhase marks, at least not to my knowledge. Right or wrong but this is the best I can come up with. Has anybody a better solution?

Return to “Scandinavian Silver”